• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions About Extra Luggage and Travel from Pamplona/Lograno

joe g texas aggies

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to Santinago April/May 2015
Hi, Here is my situation. My son, who works in Japan, will meet me in CDG next April and travel with me for a week or so on the CF starting in SJPP. Depending on the amount of time he can take off, he will depart in either Pamplona or Madrid. He will then depart for the USA for about a week or so, before going back to Japan.

Two questions:
1. He will have extra luggage, which he will take with him to Biarritz/SJPP. He does not want to carry with him on the Camino. Would a luggage transfer service be a viable alternative to get this extra luggage to Pamplona or Lograno, where he can then pick it up? If so, where could he have the luggage delivered? A hotel, for example?

2. Does anyone have a recommendation of Madrid vs. Barcelona for the best airport to fly back to the US? Which city has better rail connections with Pamplona/Lograno?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Jo. Jacotrans are the people to speak to about the luggage transfer and can advise where they deliver to. Connections to Madrid are likely to be easier than Barca.

Buen camino

AENA manages airports in Spain. Check the airlines and destinations for Madrid and Barcelona. There are too many variables to recommend one over the other.
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/HomeAenaAeropuertos/en/Home.html

Renfe operates trains from Pamplona and Logrono to Barcelona and Madrid. There is frequent service from both cities to both cities. A transfer may be required at Zaragosa.

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Barcelona Cercanius connects Barcelona Sants to Barcelona Airport.

Renfe Cercanius/Rodalies Barcelona Light Rail
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/barcelona/index.html

Madrid Cercanius connects Chamartin and Puerta Atocha stations to T4 Madrid Airport.

Madrid Cercanius (operated by Renfe)
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

Madrid Metro connects Chamartin and Puerta Atocha stations to T1-T2-T3 and T4 Madrid airport.

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

Madrid Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planomayo2013.pdf

Express Bourricot operates a 'luggage transportation' service from SJPdP to Roncesvalles and Santiago.

Express Bourricot
http://www.expressbourricot.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Jo. Jacotrans are the people to speak to about the luggage transfer and can advise where they deliver to. Connections to Madrid are likely to be easier than Barca.

Buen camino

Thanks Tincatinker, I did contact Jacotrans, but they did not respond a direct manner, at least that I could understand. Their website is not user friendly.

Do you know if:

1. We can transfer luggage from St Jean/Biarritz to either Pamplona or Lograño? (I saw a map that indicated they start in Roncesvalle. What about France?)
2. Is there a hotel in Pamplona/Lograño that will hold this luggage until we arrive several days later? (I can see a concern with security issues, after Spain's experience with the train bombings in Madrid.)

Contact Caroline at Express Bourricot. The link is given above,
She speaks very good English and I am sure that she would be able to pick up your son's luggage at Biarritz airport and deliver to Pamplona (to any address there that you like), providing that you give her enough notice to arrange things.
A couple of years ago I had a transfer from Biarritz to SJPDP,and 2 days later she took me on to Pamplona.
I highly recommend her operation.

Express Bourricot cannot go to Spain (except perhaps to Roncessvalles), and Jacotrans cannot go to France! You can try the phone calls, and maybe Caroline will accommodate you, but it will be outside her permissions.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You might try contacting ALSA. They own CONDA, the bus company that provides service from SJPdP to Pamplona. Perhaps they have a cargo service including pick-up when you get to Pamplona.

Contact Caroline at Express Bourricot. The link is given above,
She speaks very good English and I am sure that she would be able to pick up your son's luggage at Biarritz airport and deliver to Pamplona (to any address there that you like), providing that you give her enough notice to arrange things.
A couple of years ago I had a transfer from Biarritz to SJPDP,and 2 days later she took me on to Pamplona.
I highly recommend her operation.
Thank you, Bernhugo. I did send an email to Caroline. I am awaiting her response.

Hi Falcon are you sure about that? As I understand it Caroline can transfer from SJPdP to Pamplona, but cannot pick up in Spain to bring people back to France.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks to all for your input. I am sure that we can determine a way to take care of the extra luggage.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Again joe g texas, please let us know which way you finally decided on to have the luggage transferred.
Hi Bernhugo,
I contacted Caroline and she did reply - to the effect that we should contact her in January of 2015, as she is busy closing out this year's activities. Jacotrans also replied to my query and if I understand correctly (there was a word or two left out) it could transport and store the bag from SJPdP to Pamplona for 21 Euros. Neither party indicated a problem crossing from one country to the next.
Thanks for your help.

Thanks j g t. That lines up with what I understood the situation with Express Bourricot to be.
Caroline can transfer passengers and/or luggage from France to Spain , but cannot pick up passengers in Spain.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Howdy Joe ~
We flew from in/out of Madrid last month. The airport to train station bus was 5euros and picked us up right outside the terminal. We took a train directly to Pamplona (55euros for preferred class) then shared a taxi minivan with three other pilgrims to SJPdP (25euros each). We are doing our pilgrimage in multiple trips so this first portion ended in Logrono where we took a train directly to Madrid (65euros?) ... We purchased the train tickets at the station as it was much lower than purchasing online from home (San Antonio) ... We did not have extra luggage to forward but we did use Jacotrans to forward our packs on a couple of days! It turned out to be a wise choice on wet, slippery days ... We decided just today to go back to Spain in Mar/April ... We are looking at leaving SAT on 28Mar to walk out of Logrono on 30March ... I am ready to go back with my new wider toe box hiking shoes and lighter pack!!! I am happy to answer any questions, in person if you are going to be at the game this weekend!

BTHO Ole Miss,

Melody C Gonzalez

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gig 'em Melody. Thanks for the good information! That pretty much answers my questions for my son getting back to the US from Spain.

When I saw the "Howdy," I figured you must be one of the good guys! Even though we live in California, we are flying to the Ole Miss game this weekend. (Season ticket holders since 1975.) We stay with my sister and BIL in CS. What time are you arriving from San Antonio? We have a function to go to at Clayton Williams before the game. So maybe we could meet for a bit after the game?

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back