• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions about Le Puy Route (July 2017)

Siv

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy route july 2017
I will arrive at Le Puy 5th of july. This is my first time walking a camino so I have a few questions :)

What is the path like? Do I need my high mountain shoes or will Trail shoes (Hoka) be enough?

I have decided to bring a liner to sleep in. Will this be enough?

Is it really so many people walking that I have to prebook every day to get a bed?

And will I survive without speaking french :-D? I am Norwegian, I do not expect to meet to many scandinavians but there are some english speaking people i HOPE, so I do not end up totally insane without someone to talk to now and then :)

Really can`t waite to get started!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I will arrive at Le Puy 5th of July.
Congratulations! You'll have a wonderful time on a great route.
What is the path like? Do I need my high mountain shoes or will Trail shoes (Hoka) be enough?
The path is about one-third forest, one-third farm roads, and one-third lightly-travelled country paved roads (usually with shoulder walking). Some sections are the ancient Roman roads (with the original stones). In the hilly sections - which is the first half - the route goes straight up the hill rather than snaking back and forth in a series of switchbacks. As a consequence, this becomes a stream of water in rainy season, leaving behind many stones. You will want shoes with stiff soles, because of the many stones.
In July, yes. Gites have blankets available on request.
And will I survive without speaking French?
Yes, but please learn a few basic words anyhow, as the French really appreciate that you make the effort. You will find the Swiss, Germans, Dutch, and Canadians will all operate in English; the gite owners will seat the English-speakers together at dinner. Take the demi-pension option whenever it is available.

July is one of the more lightly traveled months for Le Puy; nevertheless the French appreciate the courtesy of calling a day in advance to book a bed. Two reasons for this: first, for demi-pension, they need to know how many meals to prepare. And second, if no one is booked in, then Madame and Monsieur might take the evening off and go visit the grandkids.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I went Le Puy - SdC in 2009, starting mid August, in goretex joggesko. I managed with them but on stony paths I felt almost every stone through the sole. I have been back on the French route twice, then in lightweight boots with a stiff soles, not mountain boots, and that felt better.
As Kitsambler said, you should book ahead!
Be aware that it might be difficult to find somewhere to get food in France during weekends, on Mondays, and outside lunchtime (11.30-13.30) and dinnertime(19-21). There needn't be any other place to eat than in the gite, so book demi-pension and buy some "nødmat" when you see an open shop. I was always hungry on my first walk in 2009 and lost a lot of kg.
I am Norwegian too, learnt some French in school 50 years ago. Try to learn some frases that you can use if you have to call to book a bed. I always asked whether they spoke English. If the answer was no, I tried to speak French but they then often turned to English.
Some days I was the only nonfrechspeaking person but at dinner time some people tried to communikate. Most French people, some Canadians, Belgic, Germans.
All French people you meet are very polite. Both grownups and children will greet you with Bonjour! Bonne route! Sa va bien?
I wish you bonne route! The route is sometimes demanding but beautiful.

Beauty is what you will expect...tourist information offices in most villages are most helpful and speak English. A liner in July should suffice. I like ALL windows OPEN in dormitoir but in France can sometimes be a delicate issue!?? Viva la fresh air...
Have a fabulous Way

Shoes w vibram soles and ankle support

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will arrive at Le Puy 5th of july. This is my first time walking a camino so I have a few questions :)

Is it really so many people walking that I have to prebook every day to get a bed?

And will I survive without speaking french :-D? I am Norwegian, I do not expect to meet to many scandinavians but there are some english speaking people i HOPE, so I do not end up totally insane without someone to talk to now and then :)

Really can`t waite to get started!
Hi. I am starting 8th July from Le Puy. My third time on this all time favourite route of mine. Pays to book ahead as far as Conques...me thinks, but who knows....

The Le Puy Camino route w/scallop shells shares the route with the French GR, so there are a number of French hikers, that share the route and accomodations, but are not Pilgrims, particularly in the summer.
I think regular hiking boots and trekking poles are necessary, as you will find on the steep uneven footing down to Conques, and back up the other side, as well as a number of other locations.
I don't speak French, but have now hiked over 800 miles along the Camino's of France, without any issues as to language or other.
Peace,

Hi. I am starting 8th July from Le Puy. My third time on this all time favourite route of mine. Pays to book ahead as far as Conques...me thinks, but who knows....

Just to clarify, are you recommending to plan out the whole first 10-12 days?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just to clarify, are you recommending to plan out the whole first 10-12 days?
The standard French practice is to call a day ahead. If you were walking in the really popular months, May and September, which have big hiking groups booking out the lodgings, then booking the first section in advance would be recommended. Fr July, though, I think this is not necessary. One day in advance should be ok.

I went Le Puy - SdC in 2009, starting mid August, in goretex joggesko. I managed with them but on stony paths I felt almost every stone through the sole. I have been back on the French route twice, then in lightweight boots with a stiff soles, not mountain boots, and that felt better.
As Kitsambler said, you should book ahead!
Be aware that it might be difficult to find somewhere to get food in France during weekends, on Mondays, and outside lunchtime (11.30-13.30) and dinnertime(19-21). There needn't be any other place to eat than in the gite, so book demi-pension and buy some "nødmat" when you see an open shop. I was always hungry on my first walk in 2009 and lost a lot of kg.
I am Norwegian too, learnt some French in school 50 years ago. Try to learn some frases that you can use if you have to call to book a bed. I always asked whether they spoke English. If the answer was no, I tried to speak French but they then often turned to English.
Some days I was the only nonfrechspeaking person but at dinner time some people tried to communikate. Most French people, some Canadians, Belgic, Germans.
All French people you meet are very polite. Both grownups and children will greet you with Bonjour! Bonne route! Sa va bien?
I wish you bonne route! The route is sometimes demanding but beautiful.

Thank you for very good advice! I am working hard to learn some french :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
booking the first section in advance would be recommended. Fr July, though, I think this is not necessary. One day in advance should be ok.

Hi,

Yes, one or two days in advance. Be more careful with Saturday evenings. If you want to stay with the monks in Conques, book soon, say one week before.

I am working hard to learn some french :)

Good thing ! The French will appreciate your efforts and go out of their way, using all the english they can collect if you run short of vocabulary.

The standard French practice is to call a day ahead. If you were walking in the really popular months, May and September, which have big hiking groups booking out the lodgings, then booking the first section in advance would be recommended. Fr July, though, I think this is not necessary. One day in advance should be ok.
Hi, do you think I would need to book ahead in August? I know its the french holiday month as well. Thank you.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, do you think I would need to book ahead in August? I know its the french holiday month as well. Thank you.
So, in August the weather is quite hot and also as you say, the French take their holidays. This means there are fewer walkers. It also means that the lodging owners are likely to take a holiday themselves.

What this means for walkers is that, despite published opening dates, lodgings may not actually be open if they have no bookings. So, you call ahead to make sure they know you are coming and will be open.

Hi,

August is not the high season on the Chemin. However you will be better off if you book ahead, one or two days before your stay. And your hosts will get organized (number of meals to be prepared etc.). Ask your host to call on your behalf if necessary.

As I said earlier, be more careful with Saturday evenings. And if you want to stay with the monks in Conques, book soon, say one week before.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back