• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions about ordering Pacerpoles

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I've read about carbon vs alloy, and think that I'll go with the carbon, but I have a couple of questions before I order.
Should I get any spare tips or anything in addition to this?

PACERPOLE 3-SECTION CARBON + EXTRA SPARES PACK
(Includes mesh bag, a pair of larger baskets for use on snow or soft sand, an extra pair of small 4cm baskets, plus an extra pair of rubber "street feet")
Pair @ £93

What are the small baskets for?
I've never used any kind of poles before, and it seems like Pacerpoles have less of a learning curve than standard poles.
Thanks for your help!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've read about carbon vs alloy, and think that I'll go with the carbon, but I have a couple of questions before I order.

(Includes mesh bag, a pair of larger baskets for use on snow or soft sand, an extra pair of small 4cm baskets, plus an extra pair of rubber "street feet")
Pair @ £93

I've never used any kind of poles before, and it seems like Pacerpoles have less of a learning curve than standard poles.
Thanks for your help!
Hi Trecile, I have used the carbon Pacer poles on two Caminos and just love them. If you go on Youtube there are lots of videos on how to use them. It really doesn't take long. I would carry spare tips , but you can get these at any outdoor store and you don't need original pacer tips. As, for the small baskets I am not sure what they are for. Hope this helps . Don

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks, just what I needed to know.

Various baskets are used with trekking poles to 'float' the pole ie prevent it from going too deep into the ground. The larger snow baskets are really good in deep mud as well as snow.

I used my 15 year old trusty Leki poles on the Camino but have been trying out Pacer Poles for the past 5 months while rehabilitating from a foot fracture. They are certainly different. As @dfborg says, there are lots of videos. The Pacer Pole website has a lot of information and the poles come with enough reading to keep you going through a Camino. Other trekking pole tips fit them well but we always carry some thread tape aka plumbing tape which tends to fit and hold the tips snugly.

The only difference that I have found with the Pacer Poles is that used as advised they do tend to propel me into a faster pace than I normally walk but I do walk slowly. I found that using them slightly forward of the improved this and brought me back to a more comfortable pace.

Overall I have put about 600kms on them and do like them. Looking forward to a multi day walk to really test them out.

Various baskets are used with trekking poles to 'float' the pole ie prevent it from going too deep into the ground. The larger snow baskets are really good in deep mud as well as snow.

Does that mean that in the absence of snow, sand or mud no baskets are required?

Other trekking pole tips fit them well but we always carry some thread tape aka plumbing tape which tends to fit and hold the tips snugly.

Thanks for the tip. Plumber's tape added to packing list.

The only difference that I have found with the Pacer Poles is that used as advised they do tend to propel me into a faster pace than I normally walk but I do walk slowly.

No problem for me. I am normally a fast walker. My normal pace on flat ground is 6+km/hour

Does that mean that in the absence of snow, sand or mud no baskets are required?

Thanks for the tip. Plumber's tape added to packing list.

No problem for me. I am normally a fast walker. My normal pace on flat ground is 6+km/hour

I would keep the small baskets as they also work on soft ground, nothing worse than one pole dipping below the other.
Suggest that you try out the plumbers tape first if you can. Recommend that for everything that you take with you on the Camino.
At your pace, the poles will be an asset.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would skip on the additional kit for 2 reasons: as the Website suggests, baskets are for snow and sand. On the Camino you will need to fit your pole in small nooks and crannies where a basket would only get in the way. Regarding the plastic tips, the first time I used mine in some mud they stayed behind in the mud... So nlw I boit a lair of Leki rubber tips, we'll see what happens, they are difficult to get off once one.

But as @Wokabaut_Meri said, Pacers will propel you faster than may feel comfortable and it's something that annoys me. But I will carry them again this time and see.

As for carbon or alumunum, mine are carbon, all my poles have always been carbon despite the increased chance they snap vs bend. I figure the odds are they will not snap and kd one does I will walk without.

I

Pair @ £93

Thanks for your help!
ive just ordered these :)

I leave the rubber tips on all the time. First set wore out by Burgos, roughly half way.
The speed thing is a problem only if the poles are set too long. That setting is designed for those folk who want regular sustained powerful exercise (See the Pacer Pole videos).
I have a mantra that I quote when starting, and often during the day as well.
It goes like this.
"Head up! Shoulders back! Open your chest! Slow down! This is not a race!" :p
(Sometimes I'm just thinking it!)
This enables me to find, then maintain, a suitable pace.
Regards
Gerard

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Agree with all the above - you don't need the extras, I have Leki spares and they work fine. Also the poles can make you walk faster, but if you are already fast or don't mind, that's not a problem. I have started setting my carbons to a shorter length than the literature recommends and find that suits me better. I did have a bit of a learning curve with them but I am Norwegian and used to ski poles... Once I got it I was completely sold. Just came back from a week on the CF without them because I lent them to my walking companion, and I had Pacer envy! You will probably love them, and the lovely Heather will answer any questions you may have about them. Let us know how you get on with them, you might just have joined another passionate sub-community!

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.