• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions about our first Camino!

MeghanEmily

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2015
Hi!

My friend and I (two women in our early 20's) are trying to plan our first Camino trip! We are planning on cycling, and we are in good shape because we both play college soccer. Our plan is to go as soon as school ends in early May, and from there we have a little over two weeks to play with. What city should we start in? We were initially planning on starting in Pamplona, but we think it would be really cool to start in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Is that attainable?

Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Two weeks on bikes for two reasonably fit women? SJPDP might be perfectly possible (if you go the 'high road' you will have to push your bike a bit) and Pamplona nearly would make for a leisurely / comfy Camino starting point with plenty of time to explore things slightly off road. How many kilometers do you do normally on varied terrain and from where are you from? Buen Camino! SY

Thank you SYates,
We are from Pennsylvania, United States. You can find pretty much every type of terrain here--hilly, mountainous, and flat. We are amateur bikers, but we want to start training for the trip. Do you have any suggestions?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I cycled from Budapest in 2011. For the stretch in Spain I needed ten days (counting from SJPP). I cycled mostly on roads. As you are probably a lot fitter and less tired than I was, two weeks should be plenty. - I did not cycle via Pamplona but on a more southerly route from Roncesvalles to Puenta la Reina (much less traffic). If you are interested I can send you details of the route.

Thank you Walter!
Wow! That's impressive. We were hoping to stick more to the traditional walker trails as opposed to roads. Do you think those extra 4 days will allow us to stray off the roads a little bit?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you Walter!
Wow! That's impressive. We were hoping to stick more to the traditional walker trails as opposed to roads. Do you think those extra 4 days will allow us to stray off the roads a little bit?

May I post a suggestion ? Please use a bikebell when on roads where there are also walkers. Nothing scares walkers/ pilgrims more than a bike racing up behind you and blows you out of your socks....:). Happy preparations!

SYates got it right! Know how to fix a flat and take along a hand pump. Have one of those universal bike spanners to fix who knows what, the bell is a good idea but remember many people no longer remember what a bike bell is. Bike repair shops are few and far between outside large areas, in case of some bicycle catastrophe some trains will let you on with a bike few if any buses have bike racks. Many albergues will take in bikers only late in the day, 1630-1700 so don't get too tired too early.
Was coming down from SJPP almost in Roncesvalles when a Swiss guy on a bike my age stopped for a chinwag. How long before you get there I asked. "Next weekend" he replied, "And You"? "Next month" was my answer. A different perspective for the Camino.

May I post a suggestion ? Please use a bikebell when on roads where there are also walkers. Nothing scares walkers/ pilgrims more than a bike racing up behind you and blows you out of your socks....:). Happy preparations!
All my reading thus far has stressed the importance of this! Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Two weeks by bike it´s doable from SJPP ! Moreover you two are in good shape :)

Thank you Walter!

Four additional days should cover most eventualities. As I have only cycled smallish parts of the walking camino, I cannot say from personal experience what the difference will be if you want to do more. The camino guide books for cyclists which I looked at (in Spanish and German) did not recommend much cycling on the walking camino. If you follow the route which is recommended in Spanish guide books, you will probably meet quite a lot of other cyclists. - There are several stretches where it is not possible to cycle on the camino, e.g. up to and down from the Iron Cross or up to O'Cebreiro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Word of warning....some "walkers" don't like/hate the cyclists. Just kidding, but my wife and I joked about "oooh I hate those guys" :). They were always sleeping in later and then blowing past us at a predictable 10am. Seriously though, cycling is a different experience. You will likely form relationships with other cyclists, but not with hikers. This is only because you're on different schedules. Hikers inevitably meet up with other hikers each day along the way. It is easier to invest in their lives when you know you will see them again. I assume a similar bond forms among cyclists that "run into" each other over multiple days.
I did speak with a solo cyclist however that described his trip as "lonelier" than he'd expected/hoped. We talked for a while and he longed for the relationship that he saw forming among the walkers. I'm sure other cyclists can speak better to this but I felt for him.

I did speak with a solo cyclist however that described his trip as "lonelier" than he'd expected/hoped. We talked for a while and he longed for the relationship that he saw forming among the walkers. I'm sure other cyclists can speak better to this but I felt for him.

Cycling and walking the Camino are two quite different things. The main differences a s I see it:
- You can have a chat with other pilgrims while you walk, but this is difficult while you cycle.
- The distances different cyclists do in a day vary a lot; so cyclists will meet others but they are not likely to see them again.
- While cycling one has to concentrate on the traffic, potholes and the like. Walkers' minds can drift off.
- The Camino is a competitive sporting event for few walkers, but it is for quite a lot of cyclists.

I have both walked and cycled the Camino and I would not cycle it again in either Spain or France. I found it a rather lonely experience too. I love cycling and I find that protected cycling routes e.g. along the rivers Danube and Rhein give a better experience. But I will for sure walk the Camino again!

€149,-
Word of warning....some "walkers" don't like/hate the cyclists. Just kidding, but my wife and I joked about "oooh I hate those guys" :). They were always sleeping in later and then blowing past us at a predictable 10am. Seriously though, cycling is a different experience. You will likely form relationships with other cyclists, but not with hikers. This is only because you're on different schedules. Hikers inevitably meet up with other hikers each day along the way. It is easier to invest in their lives when you know you will see them again. I assume a similar bond forms among cyclists that "run into" each other over multiple days.

Hopefully it won't be too lonely because we'll have each other. I think we would both love to walk it, but it's difficult for us to find the time and money to take a whole month! Thank you for answering! :)

... I think we would both love to walk it, but it's difficult for us to find the time and money to take a whole month! Thank you for answering! :)

Then walk! If you have time restrictions, just start closer to Santiago, remember, unless you start at home and back again there isn't anything like a "whole Camino" all starting points are compromises. If you have two weeks you could comfortably walk from Astorga and that without the hassle of bringing your own bikes over. As for money, 30 Euros/day make for a pretty comfy Camino and walking is cheaper as you don't have to budget for bike repairs ect.
Whatever you do - Buen Camino! SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back