• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions about Pamplona to Burgos to recent walkers

Time of past OR future Camino
Hola, Peregrino(a)s!

My son and I are getting together for extended travel for the first time since his early teens and this is the section that he chose to walk...out of any in the world!

I would not bother to ask these questions but for the fact that the Camino has been evolving at a fairly rapid clip and it has been a few years since I was last on this stretch.

We will only have about 8-10 days available for walking in late April to early May. We will arrive Pamplona from the US one day and start walking the next. So, now you have the background, onto the questions:

a) Does Caminoteca have walking staffs? (I lack the motor skills to use sticks. True fact!) Other vendor options for a staff that would be open as early as 8 am?

b) Has the rocky grade down from Alto de Perdon been improved or is it still treacherous footing? (Strangely, I seem to have gotten older in the last few years. :()

c) I do not think a full day to Puente le Reina is in the cards given the circumstances of the first day out.. So, which is the better place to catch a taxi - Uterga or Zariquiegui?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

B

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
a) All the stores catering to Camino walkers seemed to be open early, although I really didn't pay attention to their names.

b) It is still what I consider treacherous, I'm 73 and live in the flat Lowcountry of South Carolina. I was especially glad I was wearing boots because I was concerned about twisting my ankle (one of my few joints without arthritis).

c) Someone at one of the bars or albergues in either will probably be able to help you call a taxi.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Both Uterga and Zariquiegui and little villages. Usually that means that you will need to call a taxi (from a bar, as @ginniek said). But wait, there is another interesting possibility. Both villages have albergues. Stay at Muruzabal, make calmly the arrangement for a taxi to pick you up next morning, have some rest, and in the afternoon visit the wonderful and magic Eunate chapel, just a short walk from Muruzabal. Believe me, it is a visit you will remember forever.

Hola, Peregrino(a)s!
I do not think a full day to Puente le Reina is in the cards given the circumstances of the first day out.. So, which is the better place to catch a taxi - Uterga or Zariquiegui?
B

How about taking a bus or taxi from Pamplona to Cizur Menor? That would shorten your first day (by 5kms), without interrupting the flow of a continuous walk.

Wishing you both a Buen Camino - what a lovely way to spend time together,

How marvellous to had a dad/son walk on the Camino!!!! Sure, you will see staffs at many shops but you cannot guarantee when and where ... unless you have time in Pamplona to look around before you start. If you arrive by bus there is a shop in the bus station, Azular, which sells books and guides and "things Camino" and I am fairly sure I saw staffs there last April - though I may be wrong (I often am).

Rather than taking a taxi anywhere you could stroll out the easy 5 kms to Cizur Menur and stay at the very pleasant and comfortable Albergue Peregrinos Maribel Roncal.

The descent from the Alto de Perdon is as it has always been ... boulders, loose - but don't be put off as it is a marvellous descent, utterly beautiful. The only place on the planet I have walked upon where I wouldn't have been surprised to see dinosaurs! Don't be put off by the scare mongerers, the fearful, as it is perfectly safe on the one condition that you go slowly. If you don't go slowly you will find yourself speeding up and may take a tumble - slow and sure does it.
However, if your heart fails you you can take the small tarmac road to the right from the top and turn left at the bottom and left again and you will end up in the same village you would have arrived at, Uterga. Adds a couple of kms but is good tarmac all the way and not steep.

Uterga has refugios, as does Muruzabel .... so you don't have to worry about doing great distances - in fact, lose that now - you don't have to walk exhausting distances on any day ... the guide books are exactly that, guide books, not rule books - so walk the distances that you want to walk and stop when tired ... is a lovely section your son has chosen, with plenty of refugios - none of which will be very busy - and places to eat all along the way ... so be relaxed - enjoy!!

Keep an eye on the weather before you go - this is a good site to do that - https://www.accuweather.com/

Buen Camino!!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Go on their website and email them. The owner is a really nice guy. Explain your situation. I was there at the end of October last year. I don’t remember if they had staffs but you can always buy one Walkingstick. Maybe you could pick out a Walkingstick and have them deliver it to your hotel. Or some kind of messenger service if you will not arrive before they close or leave before they open. I do remember walking by and they were open pretty late.

Yes, the path down from Alto de Perdon is as it always has been and I was worried about walking safely down when I walked in the fall. It rained through the night and I was worried about slippery rocks, but instead of slipping and sliding down the hill, the ground was soft and all the many smaller rocks were imbedded firmly in the soil and there was no slipping and sliding. The larger rocks were easy to miss. There were some little side-paths on the left that allowed you to walk on a grassy, soft path and avoid the rocks. It was the best walk down that dreaded path ever!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@simply B , I am pleased to read the report by @marylynn

On the other hand I am one whose feet seem to slip and slide on the type of surface presented by that descent.

Were I back on that route this is what I would now do.
1) at the summit of Alto-del-Perdon turn right on to the road;
2) down the hill (2 km) past the dozen or so windmills;
3) at the foot take the foothills road to my left (NA1110)
4) after 1 km or so take the left (NA6016) towards Uterga
5) continue nearly 4 km (passing under the Autostrada) to Uterga

This compares with 4 km on the "official" route. Most probably not as scenic as @marylynn description.

kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How about taking a bus or taxi from Pamplona to Cizur Menor? That would shorten your first day (by 5kms), without interrupting the flow of a continuous walk.

Wishing you both a Buen Camino - what a lovely way to spend time together,
Or just stay at the albergue in Cizur Menor and set out from there in the AM. The city bus leaves from the other side of town, stops right in front of the albergue.

You chose a wonderful section of the Camino and a nice time of the year.

www.caminoteca.com says that in April they are open since 8.00h, so you are fine with that.

The way down from Perdón, as has already been mentioned, is still rocky.

And finally, as also said earlier, don't feel obligated to stat at the towns mentioned in books as "end of stage". You can stay in Zariquiegui (one or two albergues), Uterga (two albergues and a hostel), Muruzabal (at least two albergues), etc... No rush or rules here!

Enjoy your Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back