• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions about starting point.

I cycled the Camino Frances from Logrono to Santiago in early May of this year. I now want to cycle the Camino Madrid in 2012 but wish to avoid the Madrid traffic and start in Cercedilla. Does anybody know if there is public transport between Madrid Airport and Cercedilla? If so, do they allow the carriage of bikes? If it is not possible to use public transport, is there anywhere near the airport where I can get my credencial stamped (starting point) without having to go into the city?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, pedaling pensioner,

It's of course up to you to decide where to start the Camino de Madrid, but you don't have to go nearly as far away as Cercedilla to get out of the city madness. I know many people who start in Fuencarral, which is on the metro line, and a mere 8 km outside Madrid.And here is a link to the Metro's policy about bikes: http://www.metromadrid.es/en/viaja_en_m ... ceso1.html
From Fuencarral you are well out of the city.

Others start at Tres Cantos, which is 28 km from Madrid. That would require you to get on the "Cercanias" trains (the commuter line), rather than the metro. And I'm not sure exactly what their bike policy is. But there is a dedicated bikeway all the way into Tres Cantos, so you certainly can start earlier if you want.

If you start at Cercedilla, you will miss the lovely totally rural stretch through countryside between Colmenar el Viejo and Manzanares el Real, and the castle in Manzanares is a show-stopper.

But if you want to start at Cercedilla, which is after all what you asked, you will have to get on the new Cercanias line at T4 in the airport (info here: traveling-to-from-the-camino/topic11742.html) and take it in to town, probably to Chamartin station, and transfer there to the Cercanias line that goes out to Cercedilla.

My pictures from my walk this summer have some indication of how quickly things become rural, just in case you are tempted to start earlier than Cercedilla.
https://picasaweb.google.com/laurie.rey ... vqZ76-DEg#

I walked this Camino in late May and it was very lovely. Very solitary, but I really enjoyed it, and the pilgrim infrastructure is quite good. Check out some of the other postings on the details of this route if you are interested, there's quite a bit of info already on the forum. Buen caminio, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
peregrina2000 said:
Hi, pedaling pensioner,

It's of course up to you to decide where to start the Camino de Madrid, but you don't have to go nearly as far away as Cercedilla to get out of the city madness. I know many people who start in Fuencarral, which is on the metro line, and a mere 8 km outside Madrid.And here is a link to the Metro's policy about bikes: http://www.metromadrid.es/en/viaja_en_m ... ceso1.html
From Fuencarral you are well out of the city.

Others start at Tres Cantos, which is 28 km from Madrid. That would require you to get on the "Cercanias" trains (the commuter line), rather than the metro. And I'm not sure exactly what their bike policy is. But there is a dedicated bikeway all the way into Tres Cantos, so you certainly can start earlier if you want.

If you start at Cercedilla, you will miss the lovely totally rural stretch through countryside between Colmenar el Viejo and Manzanares el Real, and the castle in Manzanares is a show-stopper.

But if you want to start at Cercedilla, which is after all what you asked, you will have to get on the new Cercanias line at T4 in the airport (info here: traveling-to-from-the-camino/topic11742.html) and take it in to town, probably to Chamartin station, and transfer there to the Cercanias line that goes out to Cercedilla.

My pictures from my walk this summer have some indication of how quickly things become rural, just in case you are tempted to start earlier than Cercedilla.
https://picasaweb.google.com/laurie.rey ... vqZ76-DEg#

I walked this Camino in late May and it was very lovely. Very solitary, but I really enjoyed it, and the pilgrim infrastructure is quite good. Check out some of the other postings on the details of this route if you are interested, there's quite a bit of info already on the forum. Buen caminio, Laurie

Thank you so much for your reply. It has been really helpful. I was worried about cycling in Madrid as i had read that Madrid drivers are not very considerate towards cyclists and I had a few bad experiences while cycling in Spanish cities in the past, but now you have solved my problem. Thanks again.

pedalingpensioner said:
I cycled the Camino Frances from Logrono to Santiago in early May of this year. I now want to cycle the Camino Madrid in 2012 but wish to avoid the Madrid traffic and start in Cercedilla. Does anybody know if there is public transport between Madrid Airport and Cercedilla? If so, do they allow the carriage of bikes? If it is not possible to use public transport, is there anywhere near the airport where I can get my credencial stamped (starting point) without having to go into the city?

Hi,

would you mind terribly sharing your cycle experience once you have returned. I am planning to cycle MAdrid next year probably late April. Anything of note regarding the cycle will be most appreciated. Are you cycling road or track?

Torrent

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back