• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions about summer gear

gracielousmiles

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: July 3rd 2017
Hello! I will be walking the Camino Frances in July and I had a few questions about gear.

Should I bring a sleeping bag or a sleep sack? If so, does anyone have any suggestions?

For rain gear, would I be okay bringing my anorak or should I get a more formal rain jacket?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sleep sack and yes, poncho, as the backpack cover does not cover staps.

As for anorak... what do mean? In my book an anorak is a winter jacket worn for skiing and other outdoor sports. Not waterproof. If that is what you have in mind it will not work. You wantlight, waterproof, and not lined, for July.

An anorak will be a pain to get on and off quickly and hard to ventilate with when you get hot but don't want to take it off. I'd suggest a lightweight zip up jacket.
It doesn't matter if your pack straps get wet. This is not a big deal. The material on packs are made to dry quickly anyway. I've never hear of any hiker complaining of wet pack straps. You'll be so sweaty anyway you won't even notice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello! I will be walking the Camino Frances in July and I had a few questions about gear.

Should I bring a sleeping bag or a sleep sack? If so, does anyone have any suggestions?

For rain gear, would I be okay bringing my anorak or should I get a more formal rain jacket?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

Hi!
I always walk in July-August and I have never taken (or needed!) a jacket or a rain cover for backpack. A poncho, yes OR an umbrella.
My top layer is a light fleece, needed for cool evenings or early mornings in the mountains. With the umbrella, also a (very light) windbreaker.

I always take both a sleeping bag and a bag liner but that's just me... :oops: (I have only needed the sleeping bag a few nights.)

As for my pack, it has a rain cover already-- should I still try for a poncho?
There are arguments on both sides of the question. I have used a rain suit and pack cover, and gave them up. In heavy rain water cascaded down my back into my pack cover and pack, soaking everything. The poncho prevents that (Altus). The Altus (or Packa currently) prevents that. When it is not raining, the poncho hangs over my pack. When the rain starts, I slip my arms into the poncho without breaking stride. That will not happen with a rain suit or jacket. Condensation inside a poncho is a problem, but I had the same problem with the rain suit. You may want to try both rain protection systems during your training hikes so see if you develop a preference. I use trekking poles, so an umbrella does not work for me. It is quite handy on rainy evenings!!

... It doesn't matter if your pack straps get wet. This is not a big deal. The material on packs are made to dry quickly anyway. I've never hear of any hiker complaining of wet pack straps. You'll be so sweaty anyway you won't even notice.

It does matter if the wet/soaked pack straps then 'wick' the water into the backpack and your gear gets wet - and heavier! ;-) Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It does matter if the wet/soaked pack straps then 'wick' the water into the backpack and your gear gets wet - and heavier! ;-) Buen Camino, SY
Never seen that happen and the way they are sewn into the pack I don't believe it's possible. I've been in monsoons (literally-in Nepal) and never had this happen. But I suppose with cheaper packs it's possible.

It happened to me @alaskadiver , many years back and I don't remember how expensive or cheap that backpack was - let's just say since then I am a wee bit paranoid when it comes to rain protection ;-) Buen Camino, SY

It happened to me @alaskadiver , many years back and I don't remember how expensive or cheap that backpack was - let's just say since then I am a wee bit paranoid when it comes to rain protection ;-) Buen Camino, SY
I can understand that paranoia. Nothing sucks more than wet clothes after a long day of hiking.

Never seen that happen and the way they are sewn into the pack I don't believe it's possible. I've been in monsoons (literally-in Nepal) and never had this happen. But I suppose with cheaper packs it's possible.

You haven't seen rain unless you walked in Germany ! :eek::D:D:D;)

What Anniesantiago said :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One thing does - a wet sleeping bag :eek: BC SY
Oh yeah. Even with a pack cover. Don't ever set your pack down in a puddle if you carry your sleeping bag in the bottom sleeping bag compartment of a pack. If you read my post from the second to last day on the Primitivo you'll remember the video of the torrential downpour. The little bar got flooded fast and everyone with packs on the ground had mildly wet sleeping bags at the end of the day. Mine was far enough away :) LOL. Good thing it was a hot day.

I've never heard of the weather respecting national boundaries! Moreover, I have worked and walked in monsoonal wet conditions and northern European rain, and I'm currently doing some short walks in the Icelandic summer - where the wind drives even light drizzle to sting on exposed skin. The couple of days of constant Galician rain at the end of my last camino might have been less chilling, but equally demanding on my rainwear.

I have tried a poncho, but for the walking I do, I don't intend to use one on my next pilgrimage walk. I will be using a rain jacket and trousers, good pack cover and waterproof boots. This combination has worked well for me on several pilgrimages and other long, multi-day, walks. The poncho didn't work for me even on a short walk, so I'm not about to go down that path for longer ones.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've never heard of the weather respecting national boundaries!.
It was said 'tongue in cheek', @dougfitz :)

(It is true though that I experienced the most torrential rain in the Danube region.... )

To go back to raingear....I think rain jacket and rain trousers are overkill in July on the camino francés but it is only my opinion.

You haven't seen rain unless you lived/walked in Florida/USA . It is quite common to get a few inches of rain per day during the summer. Even 12 inches of rain is not uncommon and it can all happen in a few hours. We use rain gear and we walk with our packs and have had no water transference problems via the straps.

You haven't seen rain unless you lived/walked in Florida/USA . It is quite common to get a few inches of rain per day during the summer. Even 12 inches of rain is not uncommon and it can all happen in a few hours. We use rain gear and we walk with our packs and have had no water transference problems via the straps.
Twelve inches of rain a day in Florida! Tell me this is hyperbole rather than fact.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Weite that again and insert Mexico City, June-August. 5 to 7pm.

Perfect for wedding planning. You know exactly when it will rain. Best climate ever, anywhere.

Anyone else have places, dates and hours to insert dor downpours? Benefits optional.

Twelve inches of rain a day in Florida! Tell me this is hyperbole rather than fact.

It is NOT a daily occurrence as I said, but in the 17 years I lived on the Southwest coast of Florida it has happened multiple times. Many times I have watched my swimming pool fill with water from rain of over 6 inches, thankfully I have an overflow system that prevents the flooding of my lanai, Right now we are in one of those cycles with multiple thunderstorms daily and inches of rain. We went from severe drought conditions to no drought conditions in a month. As I also said our storms rarely last all day but when they do erupt, they are potent.

It is NOT a daily occurrence as I said, but in the 17 years I lived on the Southwest coast of Florida it has happened multiple times. Many times I have watched my swimming pool fill with water from rain of over 6 inches, thankfully I have an overflow system that prevents the flooding of my lanai, Right now we are in one of those cycles with multiple thunderstorms daily and inches of rain. We went from severe drought conditions to no drought conditions in a month. As I also said our storms rarely last all day but when they do erupt, they are potent.
I have no doubt that Florida is in a location were rainfall extremes are more likely than in some other places, and there are obviously different approaches to measuring both daily rainfall, and instantaneous rainfall density. I did find this NASA press release interesting, particularly the animation of their results using satellites, and the amount of rain that NASA thought had broken the precipitation record for Florida.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you all for your advice! I ended up bringing a sleeping bag and a light rain jacket. Incredibly grateful! I've had a few cold nights on the Camino despite it being July. Not to mention O Cebreiro had a bad week of rain when I walked down that mountain.

In the Arizona desert we get 2+ inches of rain in an hour when monsoons hit. And the rain is horizontal at times. A few weeks ago we had heavy rain and 60 mph gusts of wind. Lots of trees down in the streets by the time the storm was over.

A really exciting storm is when a microburst.

And then there are the dust storms that precede the rains at times.

Not Florida, but @dougfitz I remember your skepticism in this thread. I have just read this in the Washington Post today:

"Pearland, Texas, which is located about 8 miles south pf Houston’s Hobby Airport, received 9.92 inches in just 90 minutes late Saturday night – a phenomenal amount of rain in such a short amount of time. Local media reported water rescues needed all over the Houston area due to stranded vehicles".

Stay safe members who are near the area of Harvey's landfall and the aftermath!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not Florida, but @dougfitz I remember your skepticism in this thread. I have just read this in the Washington Post today:

"Pearland, Texas, which is located about 8 miles south pf Houston’s Hobby Airport, received 9.92 inches in just 90 minutes late Saturday night – a phenomenal amount of rain in such a short amount of time. Local media reported water rescues needed all over the Houston area due to stranded vehicles".

Stay safe members who are near the area of Harvey's landfall and the aftermath!
Unfortunately, @Kanga, this appears to be another piece of hyperbole not supported by the official statistics. The three day record for Pearland, here, from the US National Weather Service suggests the highest rainfall was 2.62 inches in one hour. That is still pretty significant, but well short of what appears to be an unsubstantiated Twitter report.

Oh Doug, you do amuse me! I don't mean that disrespectfully, if I ever need the answer to something serious, I'll get you to research it. The tweeter was a meteorologist with the Harris County Flood Control District. I think he might be closer to the action and have more localised data. Here's the chart:

https://twitter.com/JeffLindner1/with_replies

And his twitter feed shows pictures

https://twitter.com/JeffLindner1

Oh Doug, you do amuse me! I don't mean that disrespectfully, if I ever need the answer to something serious, I'll get you to research it. The tweeter was a meteorologist with the Harris County Flood Control District. I think he might be closer to the action and have more localised data. Here's the chart:

https://twitter.com/JeffLindner1/with_replies

And his twitter feed shows pictures

https://twitter.com/JeffLindner1
So his personal observations didn't make the official record. I wonder why not?

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back