• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions about the Camino; Please help!

TheBoat

Hey guys,

I just signed up to the forum because you guys seem like a well of information and I'm really excited to get my camino planning underway! I have maaaaany questions though because knowing me, I'll make this thread, read the replies, and that will be the only preparation I'll do =P.

I was thinking I would do the camino frances, for a couple reasons. Firstly and mainly, I already completed a long and arduous hiking trek just two weeks ago, so I'm looking for something a little less in the wilderness. Something that isn't mountain climbing, or desert crossing, but a nice road with other people, lots of villages, a real nice way to see the north of Spain. On the other hand walking on the northern coast of spain (northern route) to Santiago seems amaaaaazing. Someone give me some advice on the matter, what they recommend? Because the only thing stopping me from doing the northern path is the lack of people; I was alone in the desert for three weeks, I don't want to walk another trail all alone!

Another important logistical question I have is about the weather. Will it be too hot to hike the camino in July and late June? Seems like it would be really hot...

Another thing: I realize this year is a holy year, and Saint James day is something like the 25th or 27th, which works out okay with my plans. I was thinking I would aim to end my camino on saint james day, or the day before, because I thought it would really be a great way to end it, on the biggest day of the year in Santiago. However, am I wrong? Is it really going to be worth postponing my camino a week so I end on this date? I don't really know much about it.

Lastly, how is the walk from Saint Jean Port de Prince to Pamplona? It would seem to me very nice to walk in the Pyrenees, though I believe it's much easier to start in Pamplona if I'm flying to Barcelona. Any advice on this matter?

Thanks for reading, I very much appreciate it. Hope my questions aren't overwhelming!

Bye :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There will definitely be people on the Northern Route (coastal route)--especially in the summer--especially in a holy year. I walked last June/July and although it wasn't "crowded" there were plenty of people. On some days the albergues were full and people had to find other lodging. I would think all of the routes will be quite crowded this summer--especially for those trying to arrive on or just before St. James day. THe Northern route should have cooler temperatures in the summer than the Camino Frances but there is the chance for a fluke and for that not to be the case.

Both Caminos have their own beauty... I promise you that once you do ONE Camino, you'll return to walk the others... we all do! ::laughing:::

Just read, go to the suggested websites, look at all the wonderful photos and then try to decide. Maybe don't even decide until you reach Spain!

Personally, I would not "plan" to arrive in Santiago on any particular day. The Camino has a way of changing your plans.. be flexible and you'll be much happier! GO WITH THE FLOW and don't stress dates or times... Buen Camino!

We arrived Barcelona, caught a train to Pamplona (4.5 Hours) and then express burocot to St Jean (1.5 hours).Great way to get to the start. Absolutely wouldn't want to walk anytime near feast day as the foot traffic throughout the whole of holy year is so great that pilgrims are already finding accommodation difficult to find. I couldn't begin to imagine the crowds near the feast day. If you have a tent you may be fine.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back