• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions about the Vadiniense route

Sharni

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: April/May 2011
Camino Norte/Vadiniense/Frances: April/May 2013
Camino Frances: April/May 2016
I am planning my next Camino for April/May 2013. At this stage my friend and I would like to start in SJPDP walk to Roncesvalles then get a bus to Irun. Once in Irun we will walk the Norte as far as San Vincente de la Barquera where we will get a taxi (or bus?) to Potes to avoid the apparent bad road walking. We would then walk the Vadiniense then rejoin the Frances and continue on to SDC.

After viewing the posts on this route, I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could answer.

1. Is the Potes the start of the Camino Vadiniense?
2. I understand the stages are Potes, Fuente De, Portilla de la Reina, Riano, Ventasierra, Cistierna, Gradefas then rejoin the Camino Frances at Mansilla de las Mulas. Is this correct?
3. What are the distances between these places?
4. Is there a guide? I understand some people have been using a guide created by a forum member which may or may not be available from the CSJ, is this correct?
5. They do haves Sello's (and on the Norte) - Yes?
6. What sort of accommodation is available and are they likely to be open from mid April?
7. Approximate prices of accomodation?

I know this is a lot of questions and I hope someone is able to answer them :)

Thanks, Sharni

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Sharni,

I think you'll really like the Vadiniense. I walked it this summer and enjoyed it, but it is very solitary. The stretch from San Vicente to Potes is called the Camino Lebaniego and it ends at the monastery of Santo Toribio, which is about 4 kms outside of Potes.

My posts from this summer answer your questions about lodging and distances, so take a look there: camino-vadiniense/topic14649.html

You should PM Rebekah Scott, who can send you her guide. I have some updates and additions, which she may or may not have incorporated into her text. If she hasn't, just PM me and I'll send them along. There have been some arrow marking and re-routing recently, which should shorten some of the later stages of the Vadiniense, especially the stages going in and the one going out of Gradefes.

You can find sellos in almost any store, bar, restaurant or hotel, so that won't be a problem.

I think a taxi from San Vicente to Potes will run you around 50 euros. Public transportation goes from Potes to Unquera, which is a bit further west from San Vicente on the Norte. When I walked, there were several people in the albergue in Potes who had taken a detour on foot from San Vicente and were returning to continue on the Norte in Unquera. I think there are a couple of buses a day, at least in summer.

If you have more questions, just holler. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie, your post was where I got most of my info off ;) it sounds great. I have PM'd Rebekah about her guide. Cheers Sharni

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are buses between San Vincente and Potes. Unfortunately can't remember how many each day, but certainly at least 2.

Thanks AJ it's all coming together :)

Sorry I have been so slow in updating the guide. I have been unwell.
In the past week I visited the parts that were, supposedly re-routed. Things are still pretty unclear in spots, I will finish up on Monday with the bike-and-hiking (and will likely do a bit of waymarking myself in a couple of spots!). The guide will emerge from there, with Laurie´s many additions and improvements added in. Can´t say exactly when, but in plenty of time for next year´s hiking season. (It is drop-dead gorgeous up there this week, with the trees changing color.)
Thanks for your patience.

Reb

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Reb, I really appreciate it, get well soon.

Hi Reb, I was just wondering if you had had time to review the guide? Cheers Sharni

Hi, Sharni,

I see you're getting close to your departure. Do you have your dates fixed yet? I think Reb has a new version she can send you, so PM her if she doesn't see this post.

That day out of Fuente De -- I still lapse into rapture when I think about it!

Buen camino, Laurie

And p.s. I saw your comment about busing to Potes from San Vicente to avoid the road walking. Yes, you're right, there is a lot of road walking. But the only road walking on roads with any sort of traffic is the stretch from Lebena to Tama. That is not fun, I'll admit, but the route is interesting and very pretty if you look up rather than down at the asphalt. In any event, if you stay at the albergue in Guemes before Santander, talk to the priest about it. He knows a lot about the route.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Laurie, we will most likely start the Vadiniense from Potes on the 6 May. Due to time constraints we might get the bus from Santander to Potes if we can (we also want to see the caves at Altamira). But I've also heard that the walk from Santander to Santilla del mar is spectacular - what do you think? Cheers Sharni

The walk from Santander to San Vicente de la Barquera (the stop after Santillana, and the place from where the bus leaves to go to Potes) is very nice is a pleasant seaside town. I would recommend it heartily.

The Vadiniense is a spectacular but lonely trail. It's not for everyone, but if it's for you, it will be a marvel

Hi, Sharni,
I wouldn't describe the walk from Santander to Santillana as spectacular. None of it is along the coast, it's all on pavement, and you have to decide in Boo whether to add on 9 kms to get to Mogro on the side of the road or scamper across the FEVE rail line in the hopes that you've timed it right and a train doesn't come.
When I walked the Norte four years ago or so, the German women we were with had explicit details in their guidebook on how to run across the bridge. Locals were doing it, I am not recommending it because I know it's illegal,but we did it to save those 9 kms.

Last year doing the Vadiniense, I walked to Mogro from Santander on my first day, since I had spent the morning visiting the city and left Santander after noon. I didn't have a German guide, so I didn't find the shortcut in Boo and wound up taking the full 9 km detour. That turned my intended 12 kms into more than 20 but oh well.

The next day we went Mogro to Cobreces, then Cobreces to San Vicente. Mogro to Cobreces is another day of 100% road walking. With a couple hours' stop in Santillana (visited the church, not the caves) . After installing ourselves in the Cobreces albergue (on the monastery grounds), we walked another 1-2 kms to the beach and it was very nice, but the Camino doesn't take you there.

Cobreces to San Vicente included a nice stop in Comillas, a pretty, touristy town on the coast. There is actually a beach option for part of the way into Comillas, but again it's in the German guide, so I was on the road all the way. Comillas to San Vicente is, IMO, the high point of the entire stretch from Santander to San Vicente. Finally you get off the road a bit, finally you get to see the water, even though it's probably only about 4kms of the entire walk from Santander.

So that's my longwinded way of saying that I don't think Santander to San Vicente is spectacular! I agree with oursonpolaire that San Vicente is pretty, a nice town on the water, and I think Comillas and Santillana are also well worth some visiting time (though Santillana is overloaded with tourists).

I'd make the decision based on time and based on how much tolerance you and your feet have for asphalt. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am still waiting for word from the CSJ people about publishing the guide online. Because there seems to be growing interest, I think it is safe to post it here. I will talk to Ivar about how that is done.
Sharmi, I will be in touch with you.
Rebekah

I was wondering if the Vadiniense has its own Credencial and if it does, where do I get it from?

Hi, Sharni,
Good to see you here again. Are you still planning to walk starting May 6? Do you have your route set?

The Vadiniense does not have its own credential - the Salvador is the only Camino that has a specific credential, to my knowledge. But you can get a compostela-like certificate if you walk to the monastery in Liebana.

Buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sharni said:
(we also want to see the caves at Altamira).

What you will see is a museum and a reconstruction of the caves. The actual caves are closed to the public and have been since the 70s (I think). Still worth a visit. The church in Santillana is one of my favourites.

Yes Laurie, still planning for early May :) I'm getting excited (but keeping an eye on the weather) We have Reb's guide with your updates - Thanks! It still looks challenging though!

Thank you AJ, we are looking forward to seeing these sorts of things :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Sharni, This is what is waiting for you from Potes to Fuente De and from Fuente de to Portilla de la Reina.

The truth is that I am just trying to learn for once and for all how to upload pictures, so I have been working to resize, rename, and attach. And I thought these were kind of pretty!

Buen camino, Laurie

Attachments

• Between Potes and Fuente De.jpg
    Between Potes and Fuente De.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 564
  • From Fuente De.jpg
    From Fuente De.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 563
Oh WOW Laurie, I'm so excited - it looks like you had good weather!

Hi, Sharni,
Yes I was lucky with the weather though I did get some on the Primitivo a few weeks later. I left Santander on May 25 or 26, so it was kind of late in the spring rain season. Rain or shine, though, it's beautiful. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back