A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Questions for Forum v2

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

As you may know, I am planning to upgrade the server where the forum lives later this year since we have now become so many and the activity is making the current server work overtime.

At this point, when I make the switch to the new server, I have a good chance to upgrade the forum software and make some new changes. I have some ideas and I wanted to get some feedback on them:

1) I am planning to upgrade the forum software to a the new version 3 coming out later this year. It gives us better security and new features. Seems like a no-brainer.

2) I have a feeling that we should re-organize the categories on the front page. Are there too many categories? Suggestions of new categories?

3) I am thinking of offering each member an option of creating a blog on the site. This means that we can have one site with an index of pilgrim blogs. All blog would be searchable and they will share tags (for those of you that know what this is). Each one can upload images and each blog post would be open to comments from other members. Good idea? Bad idea?

4) .... and now to a controversial one..... what about the idea of opening the forum up to other pilgrim destinations? I am not sure about this one, but thought about airing it with you all. This would probably mean that the site would need to change its name and url, to a name not related to Santiago. Good idea? Bad idea?

Please let me know what you think... as I am in planning-mode for the fall upgrade :)

Saludos from overcast Santiago,
Ivar

Advertisment

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
New Server

Hello Ivar,
Thanks for all your hard work on this group and for being prepared to upgrade and expand for us peregrinos.

My thoughts on your proposals.

1) Go for it!

2) You decide.

3) Good idea. (Will be like Boots'nAll that offer blogs space)

4) No. I think keep it a Camino de Santiago Group but, have a link perhaps to other pilgrimages like the VF, St Olaf, St Francis of Assisi etc.

Muchisimas gracias!!

A

Anonymous

2) I have a feeling that we should re-organize the categories on the front page. Are there too many categories?
If need there be to organize the categories, I'd like to suggest that maybe they could be under an INDEX SECTION, with links to each one ( :?: ).

) ...we can have one site with an index of pilgrim blogs... Good idea? Bad idea?
Excelente :!:

4) ...opening the forum up to other pilgrim destinations? ...the site would need to change its name and url, to a name not related to Santiago. Good idea? Bad idea?
ABSOLUTAMENTE :!: But...why not keep the name, "Santiago," with something to connect with it? For example: Pilgrimages to Compostela and Other Sites.

Whatever happens, u'll still be the "kimo sabi" par excellence of Compostela cyber forums :lol:

Best,

xm 8)

A

Anonymous

4) No. I think keep it a Camino de Santiago Group but, have a link perhaps to other pilgrimages like the VF, St Olaf, St Francis of Assisi etc.
Hmm...good idea, Sil. Best, xm 8)

Ulysse

Here is my opinion.

Good idea to upgrade to ver 3 once it is no longer in beta form. No brainer ?... hope so. :wink:

Categories could be reduced by those not really very active (crime watch and medical issues for example); you could add Camino History (for xm's use and others that don't sleep nights...) :lol:

Blog is not a bad idea but will require maintenance to keep them current, non repetitive and interesting.

Other destinations is not a good idea. You are at the spearhead of Caminos to Santiago. Stay in that position and let others venture into other pilgrimages. If you do you will surely "diffuse" and loose your enviable position so useful for pilgrims to Santiago. :arrow:

Advertisment

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
blogs

I really appreciate this forum site and am sure I will learn a lot before I go.

Just not sure how you envisage the blog bit would work. I already have a blog, and don't anticipate starting a new one just for the camino. There must be others like me.

I think the blog idea is a good one.

Ulysse said:
Blog is not a bad idea but will require maintenance to keep them current, non repetitive and interesting.
the whole point of blogs is that the blog-writer maintains them (and, yes, I agree, this means most blogs are repetitive and not very interesting) :)

KiwiNomad06 said:
Just not sure how you envisage the blog bit would work. I already have a blog, and don't anticipate starting a new one just for the camino. There must be others like me.
I would see it being for those who don't already keep a blog elsewhere. There should also be a page of links where people could enter a link to their blog where relevant.

A

Anonymous

Ooops, sorry for the repeated post, tried to nix it but could not, sometimes I can others can't, wonder how/why that happens :? :!: Best, xm 8)

Ulysse

sometimes I can others can't, wonder how/why that happens
Just look down at the bottom of the page what the admin has given users as permissions (what you can and cannot do). On this section you cannot edit, delete....

Just try to catch some sleep on Sunday, under a palm tree, if that is possible in Miami :lol:

A

Anonymous

...On this section you cannot edit, delete....
Have been able to do it, never had a prob before :( The "preview section" helps, but sometimes I forget it.

...catch some sleep...under a palm tree, if that is possible in Miami...
Absolutely poss. Would rather sleep under a snow(wo)man :lol: Either way, can't deny post contests r good (at least diff) :!:

Best,

xm

Forum v2

My 2 pesetas:

1) As you say, no brainer.

2) I do think there are a few too many categories, but I'd have to give it more thought about how and what to reorganize. Equipment is an essential category. The one thing that I'd enjoy seeing is something more about the religious nature/meaning of the pilgrimage.

3) Blogs sound great.

4) Keep it to Santiago. People do one pilgrimage at a time (if ever more than one), and your site provides a convenient one-stop for all of us headed to Santiago.

Thanks so much, Ivar, for managing this forum!!!

Steve

A

Anonymous

I like SteveS' suggestion re: "...more about the religious nature/meaning of the pilgrimage." That may go under "Jacobean (Xacobean) Tradition..." Best, xm 8)

moving forward

I`m quite new but my opinion on uograding... sure thing
Blog.. urm!! like my space? Go for it, kinda personal and get to know each other more.

Definately feel you should keep this a Santiago site. I think this site is Par Excellence and should remain that way but you the man and you have done such a great job here I think you could, if anyone could, make a good job of a multi pilgrimage site.

I don’t see why other pilgrimage places should be excluded.
Firstly it will highlight them as sites and therefore be of interest.
Secondly if a hierarchical menu/index system was used then the number of headings would be reduced and other pilgrimage sites would be transparent unless you decided to follow that thread.
Thirdly this forum contains a wealth of experience and information and I feel we should be open to sharing that with everyone who feels drawn to making this type of journey.
Finally if there is nothing we can collectively offer by way of experience of a route then surely we can offer support and encouragement.

Michael
The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.6%