• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions for Le Puy: Allergies and Blankets

NadineK

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
Norte/Primitivo (2015)
San Salvador (2016)
Le Puy-Cahors (2017)
Aragonés (2019)
Hi everyone,

I've walked several Camino routes in Spain, but my two weeks on Le Puy this summer will be my first in France. I'm sure I'll be back here with more questions but for now, here are two:

1) I have a nut allergy (all nuts, peanuts included), and I'm wondering how often nuts are featured in demi-pension dinners? I'm planning to do demi-pension a lot, but I worry about how well (or not) an allergy like this can be accommodated in the gites? (I do speak French- not fluently, but enough to be able to communicate- so I'm prepared to explain the allergy when I call to make reservations).

2) Can I get by with just a sleeping bag liner? I'll be walking the end of June/beginning of July. I tend to run cold, so do most gites have blankets available?

Thank you so much, your expertise is appreciated!!

Nadine

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bonjour Nadine, yours is an interesting question ... I cannot say for sure what the situation is as regards dinners in all gites on the GR65/Via Podiensis ... but I can say with some certainty that you will need to let them know [very clearly] in advance because they may need to prepare a special meal for you [depending on your sensitivity of course] ...

you might want to have the full story in french written out so that you can text or email to them [lest their be misunderstandings or confusion]

I have been making bookings recently for a small group that incl. one person with a food intolerance ... in their replies, most of them have particularly commented on this [saying that they can prepare a meal that takes this intolerance into account].

à propos the sleeping sheet, I cannot imagine that you will be without a blanket in a french gite. And if you find that to be the case ... definitely ask your host/s. Sleeping bag not required in France imho.

bonne chance, bonne continuation ...

so do most gites have blankets available?

No sleeping bag required on GR65
Notify the Gite / Hotel where you are staying the next night and mention your food allergy.
The owner where you are will do this without any problems
I would also finish a fraction earlier than they do in Spain and again when in the farmhouse/gite or hotel discuss the food.
Quality of food cannot be compared with Frances.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You may be conversational in French, but the accent along the Le Puy is tricky, because L'ange d'Oc. And if you just say "nuts", it may be interpreted as just one sort that's forbidden. So be repetitive. Je suis en régime spécial. Je ne peux pas manger des noisettes. Je ne peux pas manger de sorte de noix. Pas de noix. Pas de noisettes. Pas d'amandes. Pas de cacahuètes. Pas de noix.

Hi everyone,

I've walked several Camino routes in Spain, but my two weeks on Le Puy this summer will be my first in France. I'm sure I'll be back here with more questions but for now, here are two:

1) I have a nut allergy (all nuts, peanuts included), and I'm wondering how often nuts are featured in demi-pension dinners? I'm planning to do demi-pension a lot, but I worry about how well (or not) an allergy like this can be accommodated in the gites? (I do speak French- not fluently, but enough to be able to communicate- so I'm prepared to explain the allergy when I call to make reservations).

2) Can I get by with just a sleeping bag liner? I'll be walking the end of June/beginning of July. I tend to run cold, so do most gites have blankets available?

Thank you so much, your expertise is appreciated!!

Nadine
Hi Nadine.
Have walked the Le Puy route twice and don't remember nuts featuring on the menu. Possibly in the odd dessert...but there is always fromage!
I took a silk liner both times and it was perfect.
Blankets everywhere or duvets.
My favourite route Le Puy! Back there this year.

I agree with all the replies so far and would add that because the French are so interested in food, as long as they understand what your issue is, you are very likely to get a careful response to your requirement.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You may be conversational in French, but the accent along the Le Puy is tricky, because L'ange d'Oc. And if you just say "nuts", it may be interpreted as just one sort that's forbidden. So be repetitive. Je suis en régime spécial. Je ne peux pas manger des noisettes. Je ne peux pas manger de sorte de noix. Pas de noix. Pas de noisettes. Pas d'amandes. Pas de cacahuètes. Pas de noix.

Thank you so much for these examples! They are so helpful, and the advice to be repetitive is, as well.

Bonjour Nadine, yours is an interesting question ... I cannot say for sure what the situation is as regards dinners in all gites on the GR65/Via Podiensis ... but I can say with some certainty that you will need to let them know [very clearly] in advance because they may need to prepare a special meal for you [depending on your sensitivity of course] ...

you might want to have the full story in french written out so that you can text or email to them [lest their be misunderstandings or confusion]

I have been making bookings recently for a small group that incl. one person with a food intolerance ... in their replies, most of them have particularly commented on this [saying that they can prepare a meal that takes this intolerance into account].

à propos the sleeping sheet, I cannot imagine that you will be without a blanket in a french gite. And if you find that to be the case ... definitely ask your host/s. Sleeping bag not required in France imho.

bonne chance, bonne continuation ...

Thank you for this advice! I really like the idea of writing out what I need to convey about my allergy, and sending it in an email (especially if/when I make email bookings along the route).

Merci, merci!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back