• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Using a Cell Phone in Portugal: Tips for Traveling Canadians

Newer phones are coming in with dual sim capabilities. You can have two numbers available on your phone. Some of these do not need a physical sim. You get a QR code when you get your phone number and you scan that to activate the number.

Here is a short Apple Support video on the process (Androids have dual SIMs too but each manufacturer may have a different process):
youtube video id: 4dVJulsiTiw
Thanks for posting the video. My iphone does have dual SIM support. The QR code - is that something that I would get in Spain (Orange/Vodafone)? Is it considered an eSIM? Can I set it up with data only and then use my existing phone number for calls and texts when I have wifi (WhatsApp)? I'll be on my own and want to have access to GPS maps, etc while I am walking, but don't really need the phone call part. I appreciate any light you can shed. Thanks so much.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for posting the video. My iphone does have dual SIM support. The QR code - is that something that I would get in Spain (Orange/Vodafone)?
There are ways to get Spanish SIM cards before you leave so I expect you can get a QR code for your eSIM too. But really what you want to do is go to a genius bar or to a store for your network and have them transfer the SIM for your US number to the phone's eSIM. It is really easy to do. Take the SIM card out and save it someplace. Then at home or in Spain get a physical SIM card to go where your US SIM was.

Is it [a QR code] considered an eSIM?
An eSIM is a computer chip that is part of your phone that does what the computer chip on a SIM card does. It takes up nearly no space though. The phone has software that will take the data that a QR has (most importantly your phone number) and insert it into the eSIM. You may soon see the term iSIM. What happens here is the chip that was on a card and then turned into a chip built into the phone will be part of (integrated into) one of the phone's other chips, thus saving even more space.

I'll be on my own and want to have access to GPS maps, etc while I am walking, but don't really need the phone call part.
It actually is possible to download maps using wifi onto your phone in advance, say for what you expect to walk in three days. Then you won't need cellular data for maps. How this is done doesn't belong in this thread.

For what you want to do you want to use your phone's settings to set these defaults: use the SIM card (Spanish number) for cellular data and the eSIM (US number for calls, at least for incoming calls). That way emergency calls from home should ring your phone. For calls out your phone's manufacturer may use the default or it may ask you to specify which number to use before connecting to a tower.

I hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why would I need to save the old SIM card?
You shouldn't have to but I've been using computers for decades and I don't trust them.

Edit: If you lose or damage your phone and buy a new one the quickest way to recover your number is probably inserting your SIM card into it.

An example of things going wrong that is SIM related: After switching my US number from SIM to eSIM for my camino when I got home I figured that I would put my SIM card back into my phone too in case the eSIM code ever got buggy I could still make and get calls. Everything worked fine for months. Then I brought my car in for servicing and took a long walk while the mechanics looked at it. I got a call (that I couldn't pick up in time) saying what the problem was and expected cost to fix. They asked if I wanted to have them fix it. I couldn't make outgoing calls or texts anymore. I had to walk back an hour before being able to tell them to continue with an hour's worth of work.

The pandemic had started and I couldn't get in touch with support. There was no help online. Finally I figured that some server change for cellular networks messed with the two SIMs I had. I took out the physical SIM card and rebooted. That was the fix.

Last edited:
Also, much rarer these days but some people were in the habit of storing contact information on their SIM cards (they have their own memory) and once on there they can be time consuming to replicate and so keeping the card can save replication time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Slightly more information on eSIMs.

A system backup does NOT backup the eSIM settings and so you should preserve your eSIM QR code if possible.

When doing a factory reset on your phone there is an option that allows you to retain your eSIM settings.

Your phone number and the various technical settings that allow your phone to correctly identify itself to the network for each of the communication protocols that run in the background.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
First, thanks for this detailed and super informative thread. I learned a lot from reading it! I thought I would add a couple bits of info that others might find helpful.

This relates to US AT&T service and Apple iPhones:

1. In the US, AT&T will unlock your phone if it has been on the AT&T service for at least 60 days AND it is fully paid. I thought I could buy a dual sim phone (my phone needs to be upgraded), pay in full (rather than use AT&T's payment plan) and AT&T would unlock the dual SIM. I didn't know about the requirement that the phone must have been activated on the AT&T system for at least 60 days also. Of course I could buy a new unlocked iPhone 13, but I would have to pay a small premium for this and I would lose the advantage of discount programs offered by AT&T.

If you are an AT&T customer planning far enough in advance and upgrading to an iPhone 13 (or other phone brand with a dual SIM) is in your cards -- the dual SIM seems like a great deal. Just make sure to pay in full for your phone more than 60 days before you leave the US!

2. It appears to me that the only iPhones in the US that have dual SIMs are IPhone 13 models. Apple made older models (going back to iPhone 11) with dual SIM capabilities, but only in China, Hong Kong and a couple other places in Asia. I suppose you could have an iPhone in the US that originally came from one of these locations and has a dual SIM, but I have the impression from my research that they are not common here.

3. I am going to be in Spain for over two months and then plan to travel to the Netherlands and the UK. I think from my research that the best pre-paid SIM card deal for use throughout Europe and in the UK, for such a long period of time is Vodafone (at the moment -- April 2022).

LizB

I use my cell phone all the time, but don’t know how to get the case off let alone change a SIM card.
I’m going to Portugal for 3 weeks soon, and would like to be able to use the phone to call a cab if needed or for emergencies. I’m from Canada, a travel plan from the carrier is very expensive. Can I take an old iPhone and get a store in Porto to install a SIM card? Will there be additional charges beyond the SIM card cost? Thanks.
Can I add my two pennies worth to this topic ...it may not be relevant but hey how what do I know ..I have android phone on a contract with a UK provider I have free unlimited calls and texts plus 12Gb a month of data ..I come to do the Camino Frances and pay no extra as using the phone abroad is the same as using it at home , but I only use it for WhatsApp or the Camino Ninja app ..so my question to you is . Can you not use your own phone and keep the same sim card ???

Can I add my two pennies worth to this topic ...it may not be relevant but hey how what do I know ..I have android phone on a contract with a UK provider I have free unlimited calls and texts plus 12Gb a month of data ..I come to do the Camino Frances and pay no extra as using the phone abroad is the same as using it at home , but I only use it for WhatsApp or the Camino Ninja app ..so my question to you is . Can you not use your own phone and keep the same sim card ???
It really depends on what your plan covers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can you not use your own phone and keep the same sim card ???
If you are from the US and do not have a phone provider that offers decent international calling support, you can only use wifi. And, in that case you can definitely use your own phone with no charges. In the US T Mobile offers great international calling. But the best deal from my provider, AT&T could cost up to $100 / month!

You only need to do the phone hijinks if you want to have cell service and/cellular data. I have never thought I needed cell service or cellular data and maybe I don’t now. But I am concerned about the possible need to make reservations in advance, having to isolate b/c COVID and needing to make attendant arrangements. Also we are walking a couple of more obscure routes (the Vasco and the Invierno) that do not have as man services (with attendant wifi). So this time around we decided to do the phone dance. Maybe it will be an investment we will not use. But things seem different enough and we will be in Spain for over 60 days between hospitalero service and walking, that it seemed needed.

If you are from the US and do not have a phone provider that offers decent international calling support, you can only use wifi. And, in that case you can definitely use your own phone with no charges. In the US T Mobile offers great international calling. But the best deal from my provider, AT&T could cost up to $100 / month!

You only need to do the phone hijinks if you want to have cell service and/cellular data. I have never thought I needed cell service or cellular data and maybe I don’t now. But I am concerned about the possible need to make reservations in advance, having to isolate b/c COVID and needing to make attendant arrangements. Also we are walking a couple of more obscure routes (the Vasco and the Invierno) that do not have as man services (with attendant wifi). So this time around we decided to do the phone dance. Maybe it will be an investment we will not use. But things seem different enough and we will be in Spain for over 60 days between hospitalero service and walking, that it seemed needed.
I don’t want to come across as privileged but $100/month seems well worth it to me. You don’t have to mess with a second phone number, or SIM card. You can receive texts for banking transactions. You can use data to book rooms, record your track, view maps, post to social media if that’s your thing. Your phone works just like it does at home. All this for less than the price of a nice dinner. I don’t work for AT&T or any other phone company but this seems a lot more reasonable than how the cell companies jacked us around in the past. I want to shed complications when I walk the Camino and this seems like an easy one to shed.

I was the originator of the post, so will report back. I ended up taking my old iPhone which was unlocked. In Portugal for 20 Euro I purchased a SIM card/ phone plan good for 30 days, 10 G data, 500 minutes Portugal calls, 30 minutes international calls. We use to call taxis, confirm restaurant hours, etc. At times, people want a number to call me back so it’s handy to have a Portuguese phone number. My texts to iPhones work OK, but have had trouble to android phones, although I receive them.
From Canada it would have cost $10 per day -$300.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@auburnfive thanks for reporting back.

@Viva Terlingua in my world $100/month so I can make a few phone calls is a lot. I can do most of what you mention using wifi. Generally we don’t take a phone at all preferring to unplug as much as possible. I put an away message on my email. I don’t want to get all those texts and calls from home. A Spanish sim is cheap and does the trick.

I was the originator of the post, so will report back. I ended up taking my old iPhone which was unlocked. In Portugal for 20 Euro I purchased a SIM card/ phone plan good for 30 days, 10 G data, 500 minutes Portugal calls, 30 minutes international calls. We use to call taxis, confirm restaurant hours, etc. At times, people want a number to call me back so it’s handy to have a Portuguese phone number. My texts to iPhones work OK, but have had trouble to android phones, although I receive them.
From Canada it would have cost $10 per day -$300.
Thank you for the update. I was wondering about buying SIM card from Portugal (Porto airport) and use it in both Portugal and Spain. So, everything worked perfectly fine at the end? I have both Android phone and iPhone that I can use. May I know which provider to use? Is it Vodafone? Thank you. Cheers from Canada.

Back home now. It was so helpful
Thank you for the update. I was wondering about buying SIM card from Portugal (Porto airport) and use it in both Portugal and Spain. So, everything worked perfectly fine at the end? I have both Android phone and iPhone that I can use. May I know which provider to use? Is it Vodafone? Thank you. Cheers from Canada.
We were so happy to have the phone, and it worked perfectly. One of our group had family issues and was able to get the international minutes topped up very inexpensively. I will now keep my old iPhone as a travel phone. The 20 € plan I bought was good for 30 days.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will now keep my old iPhone as a travel phone.
Please read my post # 24, above, to see what can happen when you take an iphone too old to work with the current phone system where you are travelling. This was unbelievable stressful, and expensive, for me on my camino last fall (2021). If your iphone will work with the Portuguese system and you are only going to travel in Portugal, fine. My iphone5s would not work with the Orange phone system, so I had to buy a more recent phone. I was not familiar with it had difficulty managing it throughout my time in Spain.

We really liked Vodafone, but unless it has changed, we found that the SIM we bought in Portugal stopped working when we crossed the border into Spain. We then had to buy a Spanish Vodafone SIM. If you buy it in the UK, it will work in multiple European countries.

We really liked Vodafone, but unless it has changed, we found that the SIM we bought in Portugal stopped working when we crossed the border into Spain. We then had to buy a Spanish Vodafone SIM. If you buy it in the UK, it will work in multiple European countries.
I hope that Portugal Vodafone has updated its roaming capabilities to Spain. It seems so from what @auburnfive has updated in this forum. We will spend 3 days in Porto before leaving for Lugo to start the Camino. I'd like to avoid buying a new SIM in Spain if possible. Thanks for the heads-up.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Perhaps because we were only in Portugal, were lucky to avoid any other issues.. although I have travelled easily without a phone in the past, it was good to have that availability

My Spanish phone company give me free roaming when I travel to USA.
In USA there isn't the same service?

My Spanish phone company give me free roaming when I travel to USA.
In USA there isn't the same service?
Depends on the plans subscribed. In Canada, the phone plans are not as generous as the ones in Europe or USA. I cannot roam free even when I travel to USA. My Canada phone company charges $12/day or $15/day to roam in USA and international respectively. So, it's wise to buy a local SIM whenever I travel outside Canada.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are ways to get Spanish SIM cards before you leave so I expect you can get a QR code for your eSIM too. But really what you want to do is go to a genius bar or to a store for your network and have them transfer the SIM for your US number to the phone's eSIM. It is really easy to do. Take the SIM card out and save it someplace. Then at home or in Spain get a physical SIM card to go where your US SIM was.

An eSIM is a computer chip that is part of your phone that does what the computer chip on a SIM card does. It takes up nearly no space though. The phone has software that will take the data that a QR has (most importantly your phone number) and insert it into the eSIM. You may soon see the term iSIM. What happens here is the chip that was on a card and then turned into a chip built into the phone will be part of (integrated into) one of the phone's other chips, thus saving even more space.

It actually is possible to download maps using wifi onto your phone in advance, say for what you expect to walk in three days. Then you won't need cellular data for maps. How this is done doesn't belong in this thread.

For what you want to do you want to use your phone's settings to set these defaults: use the SIM card (Spanish number) for cellular data and the eSIM (US number for calls, at least for incoming calls). That way emergency calls from home should ring your phone. For calls out your phone's manufacturer may use the default or it may ask you to specify which number to use before connecting to a tower.

I hope this helps.
Thank you! I now have my US number on the eSIM. I had to call Verizon and they sent me the QR code to scan. I really appreciate such a thorough response. It really helped get me started. I purchased a Orange Holiday SIM on Amazon and I will need to replace my original SIM with the European one. Just not sure if I can do this in the US or if I need to wait until I'm in Europe. Thanks again.

@auburnfive thanks for reporting back.

@Viva Terlingua in my world $100/month so I can make a few phone calls is a lot. I can do most of what you mention using wifi. Generally we don’t take a phone at all preferring to unplug as much as possible. I put an away message on my email. I don’t want to get all those texts and calls from home. A Spanish sim is cheap and does the trick.

I understand completely. However with aging parents, I can not cut myself off from the outside world.

If you're content with relying on wifi, there is another option. If you have an iPhone and are on AT&T, you can turn on wifi calling and turnoff roaming on your phone. You can then make calls using wifi and won't be charged.

Good day, everyone:

Can someone please tell me if a phone with the following specification is compatible with the Spanish mobile phone systems.

Thank you.

-----

Sourced from Alcatel a392CC manual:

Connectivity

GSM

1900/850/1800 (tel:1900/850/1800)/900 UMTS 850, 1700,

1900, 2100

HSPA (HSDPA)

7.2 Mbps downlink

RSS Feeds

Micro USB 2.0

GPS with A-GPS Standard SIM

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good day, everyone:

Can someone please tell me if a phone with the following specification is compatible with the Spanish mobile phone systems.

Thank you.

-----

Sourced from Alcatel a392CC manual:

Connectivity

GSM

1900/850/1800 (tel:1900/850/1800)/900 UMTS 850, 1700,

1900, 2100

HSPA (HSDPA)

7.2 Mbps downlink

RSS Feeds

Micro USB 2.0

GPS with A-GPS Standard SIM

In other words, your phone is tri band GSM.

If it's unlocked ( can accept a new SIM card), you should be OK. That's not dependent on your phone type, but on the carrier you're currently using.

In other words, your phone is tri band GSM.

If it's unlocked ( can accept a new SIM card), you should be OK. That's not dependent on your phone type, but on the carrier you're currently using.
Thank you, dbier. It can accept new SIMs. It had never occurred to me that it might be locked. It is just a flip phone but I guess they might be locked too. You have got me thinking now.

Edit: It was in fact locked. Now it is unlocked. Thank you again, dbier, and DoughnutANZ too, for alerting me to this issue. You both helped me avoid a problem.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thought I would share my new-found phone/usage/plan knowledge gained over several hours today. T-Mobile is a company based in Germany. They are currently offering a 55+ Magenta Max plan for $90/mo for 2 lines. This includes a generous trade-in plan where I could exchange my iPhone 7 for an iPhone 13 for $400. (My husband's iPhone X could be traded even-up.) The plan provides for free international texting and unlimited 2G data at 2X speeds in Spain and France. The low flat-rate calling amounts to $.25 per minute but the gentleman suggested using What'sApp (or similar) for phone calls when Wi-Fi is available. For $18/mo one could buy the insurance plan which would cover loss or damage and a replacement phone which could be sent by the next day. (Thus the benefit of a German- based company.) For those flights across the pond, T-Mobile provides unlimited Gogo Wi-Fi and unlimited in-flight texting.

My husband and I have been considering changing providers for some time now and this seems to check most of our boxes. I'm not sure if the 2G data will be sufficient for using the map programs, etc., and am wondering if anyone has suggestions for this. I am also wondering about the reference to the 2 sim-card capability for the iPhone 13 and the advantages of such. Thanks for any input!

Thought I would share my new-found phone/usage/plan knowledge gained over several hours today. T-Mobile is a company based in Germany. They are currently offering a 55+ Magenta Max plan for $90/mo for 2 lines.
I don't know your age, but if either you or your husband is over 55 they have a discounted rate.
I'm not sure if the 2G data will be sufficient for using the map programs, etc., and am wondering if anyone has suggestions for this.
It's always been sufficient for everything that I need to do, and I use my phone a lot while I'm on the Camino. Also, you can download the maps on Camino apps for offline use, and you can also download Google Maps for the areas that you will be in to use offline.

I use WhatsApp when I can to make free calls, but if I need to call a landline or a phone that doesn't use WhatsApp I use the Viber app. I buy "Viber Out" credit which enables me to make calls for only 2 cents a minute using either my cellular data or wifi. $5 worth of credit is usually enough to last me for at least 2 Caminos.

2G data will be sufficient for using the map programs
Once the program and maps are downloaded to the phone, they don't use much data at all.

I am also wondering about the reference to the 2 sim-card capability and the advantages of such.
The advantage relates to the situation where you want 2 different phone plans - i.e. one with your home number, and one with your Spanish number. It looks like you are opting for a single plan.

At 0.25/minute, an hour would cost $15. You can get a Spanish SIM card for that price and have unlimited local calling and several GB data, but SMS messages might not be included, and you'd have a different number. The matter of cost may not be as important as your own comfort level, convenience, and longer term considerations.

I assume that the T-Mobile plan and purchase you are talking about are unique to the US, and wouldn't be available elsewhere. Phone purchases and cost/benefit analyses can get very complicated, so at some point you just need to jump in! If it meets your needs and you can understand it, go for it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't know your age, but if either you or your husband is over 55 they have a discounted rate.

It's always been sufficient for everything that I need to do, and I use my phone a lot while I'm on the Camino. Also, you can download the maps on Camino apps for offline use, and you can also download Google Maps for the areas that you will be in to use offline.

I use WhatsApp when I can to make free calls, but if I need to call a landline or a phone that doesn't use WhatsApp I use the Viber app. I buy "Viber Out" credit which enables me to make calls for only 2 cents a minute using either my cellular data or wifi. $5 worth of credit is usually enough to last me for at least 2 Caminos.
Great tips, Trecile. 👍
And who'd think $5 in this day and age could be such a bargain and go so far!

Each to their own.
Magenta Max plan for $90/m
My everyday plan costs me $19/m and so this would be very expensive for me.

The plan provides for free international texting and unlimited 2G data at 2X speeds in Spain and France.

I would go crazy if I had to go back to 2G data! I would consider my phone unusable.

I doubt very much if it is possible to do a VOIP call using 2G data.

I would go crazy if I had to go back to 2G data! I would consider my phone unusable.

I doubt very much if it is possible to do a VOIP call using 2G data.
While I'm in Spain/Portugal, my phone actually always says 3G or 4G - T-Mobile only guarantees 2G speed. I have always been able to make VOIP calls, upload pictures, and do anything that I need to do with the data that my T-Mobile plan provides while I'm abroad.

My everyday plan costs me $19/m and so this would be very expensive for me.
The 55+ plan that my husband and I have costs us $70 for 2 lines of unlimited everything.

€149,-
I have never come across a European phone plan that didn't include SMS
I don't understand what the problem was, but twice I had difficulty with it - for making international messages. I simply changed over to using other internet-based messaging such as WhatsApp, and didn't bother to figure it out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We just last week switched over to T-Mobile, specifically because of their seamless coverage in Europe. In the past (Cons. Cellular) we either paid the international surcharges and tried to use wifi as much as possible, or got a local SIM card and dealt with the hassle of a different phone number. We'll be in Europe for 3 months this time, so TM's coverage became very attractive. We also got the 55+ Magenta plan on 2 lines for $70.

We do almost all calling with WhatsApp, so the $0.25/min charge for regular calls doesn't bother us, but thanks for the tip about Viber. If things get out of hand, we'll try it.

But here's a tip if you're a Costco customer: sign up with TM at the in-store kiosk, and you get a $300 Costco gift card per line, so for us $600 total! They make you wait about 3 months for it, but we're in no hurry. This is probably a limited time offer, but Costco typically always has special deals.

I'm not sure if the 2G data will be sufficient for using the map programs, etc., and am wondering if anyone has suggestions for this.
I think you will find that any of the map apps or camino specific apps that you are likely to use have a way to download maps ahead of time when wifi is available so that you do not need an internet connection when you walk. Exceptions may be if you try to plot a route or lookup a point of interest. Still, downloading the map over wifi will save you cellular data usage.
I am also wondering about the reference to the 2 sim-card capability for the iPhone 13 and the advantages of such.
If you use WhatsApp you are probably covered well for your trip except for calls home. Viber should handle that cheaper than your T-Mobile plan. You probably do not NEED to use the second SIM but I suggest you test WhatsApp by calling each other or someone else over the 2G T-Mobile cellular internet while disconnected from WiFi. If the connection is bad then at least one of your phones should get a local SIM installed on the phone's second SIM.

For more information on dual sims for camino use see this search:

Edit: A lot (most?) dual SIM phones use an eSIM for the second SIM so this search may also be useful:

Last edited:
And the T-Mobile international roaming is only intended for stays of up to around 2 months, so if you are staying in Europe longer it's best to get a local sim.

As far as the cost of phone calls when using T-Mobile - I never use the T-Mobile plan for that.
If I'm calling another mobile phone which has WhatsApp I will use that, but to call landlines and people without WhatsApp I use the Viber app. I buy $5 worth of Viber Out credit, and I can make calls using wifi or cellular data for only 2 cents a minute. I can also use it to call back to the US in case I need to call my bank or something.
So, to be clear (in my mind) when making calls abroad, you use WhatsApp or Viber. Does this mean that you do NOT have a local phone number via SIM or eSIM?

I just got a Samsung s22+ with dual SIM capacity (using T-Mobile Magenta 55+) and I've been trying to figure out whether I needed a local phone number - particularly for calling ahead for bed reservations thru the Wise Pilgrim app.

Thank you for your help!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So, to be clear (in my mind) when making calls abroad, you use WhatsApp or Viber. Does this mean that you do NOT have a local phone number via SIM or eSIM?
Correct. I just have my home (US) number.
If the albergue's phone is on WhatsApp I will normally use that to send a text message. Otherwise I make the call with Viber.

I now have a phone that will accept an eSIM, so on my next trip I may try putting my home number on eSIM and purchasing a local SIM just to see how it works.

Correct. I just have my home (US) number.
If the albergue's phone is on WhatsApp I will normally use that to send a text message. Otherwise I make the call with Viber.

I now have a phone that will accept an eSIM, so on my next trip I may try putting my home number on eSIM and purchasing a local SIM just to see how it works.
Thank you so much. I have now seen a few others on the thread who have opted to move their home phone number to the eSIM making the physical SIM slot available for a Spanish SIM. I will follow suit. And will download Viber :cool:

I love this forum!!!

I use my cell phone all the time, but don’t know how to get the case off let alone change a SIM card.
I’m going to Portugal for 3 weeks soon, and would like to be able to use the phone to call a cab if needed or for emergencies. I’m from Canada, a travel plan from the carrier is very expensive. Can I take an old iPhone and get a store in Porto to install a SIM card? Will there be additional charges beyond the SIM card cost? Thanks.
Yes. I’m in Almeria Spain and brought an old iPhone 4 into which I had a Spanish SIM card I stalked for 20€. My new iPhone X connects to the wifi in the old phone into hotspot in settings.
Unfortunately, all my credit cards got cancelled here when entered the PIN three times. I used up my 200 phone minutes trying to call the credit card companies. So now I have to wait to start my Camino until Vodafone opens on Monday.

Bring lots of cash ! It’s how I survived here without access to my credit cards from which I was planning to extract cash.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.