• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions from a novice pilgrim

deebubbster

Time of past OR future Camino
September(2017)
I am planning to walk the Camino this September and was planning to start out from SJPP on the 10th. A friend who is thinking of starting out with me is worried that this is too late in the year and that we will hit lots of rain and snow on this first day in the Pyrenees. She wants to leave on September 1st. Would 10 days really make that big a difference? Anyone who has traveled this route at this time of year and who can weigh in on the chances of inclement weather?

Also was planning to spend the first night at Orisson and was reading on this forum that you can/should reserve a space at the albergue. Is it possible/necessary to reserve a space at the Albergue, especially since it will be September?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This chart might help you. I found it by googling climate st jean pied de port.

Snow? In September? Nope. I don't know where you and your friend are from to think early September will have you see snow, bit perhaps knowing that May and September are the busiest months on the Frances will help allieviate your fears. Bring sunscreen.

https://fr.climate-data.org/location/185285/

Take a look at this link for monthly Camino stats:

https://oficinadelperegrino.com/estadisticas/

I am planning to walk the Camino this September and was planning to start out from SJPP on the 10th. A friend who is thinking of starting out with me is worried that this is too late in the year and that we will hit lots of rain and snow on this first day in the Pyrenees. She wants to leave on September 1st. Would 10 days really make that big a difference? Anyone who has traveled this route at this time of year and who can weigh in on the chances of inclement weather?

Also was planning to spend the first night at Orisson and was reading on this forum that you can/should reserve a space at the albergue. Is it possible/necessary to reserve a space at the Albergue, especially since it will be September?
This chart might help you. I found it by googling climate st jean pied de port.

Snow? In September? Nope. I don't know where you and your friend are from to think early September will have you see snow, bit perhaps knowing that May and September are the busiest months on the Frances will help allieviate your fears. Bring sunscreen.

https://fr.climate-data.org/location/185285/

Take a look at this link for monthly Camino stats:

https://oficinadelperegrino.com/estadisticas/
Thanks. I didn't think snow/weather would be a problem but my friend was concerned. This confirms for me that leaving on that date will be okay. Also, thanks for the links.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Okay? Any day in September will be a fantastico day on which to leave!
For those like me who don't like it too hot, or too cold, or too wet, or too dry, it's the perfect time to leave. But do make sure you book early at Orisson. 3 months before is not too early.
Regards, Buen Camino, and enjoy the planning.
No worries cobber.
Gerard

The stop at Orisson is a good move. Great start to your Camino. Definitely book it as there is no other option there.
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love walking in September and October and will walk at that time again this year. The weather should still be beautiful when you start but you could possibly have more rain near the end of your trip in Galicia which help keep it looking beautiful!

Buen Camino!

September and October are beautiful times to walk, especially once you hit Galicia. Enjoy it all and Buen Camino.
Faith

I haven't even done my first Camion yet (June/July 2017), but my second one will be in Sept/Oct based on these wonderful responses. I've always loved Sept/Oct anyway... so why not? :D

We will be in Orisson on the 10th of Sept. Hope to see you on the path at some point. I walk slow, so may not catch up to you. :)
If you stay at Orisson, you will catch up to me. Short, short grey hair, blue Osprey backpack. Wearing a long sleeve, white fishing T-shirt and parachute pants.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm leaving SJPDP and staying over at Orisson 23 September and not anticipating problems. Actually, hoping for some slightly cooler weather. You will be ahead of me

In 2015, I walked out of SJPP on 30 September, and spent the night at Orisson. The 30th, it was so beautiful and sunny; the 1 of October, I crossed the Pyrenees walking alone, and a big storm blew in near the top. It was pouring rain, and we walked in a cloud. I saw pilgrims fade in and out of view, and three or four of us huddled at the hut and had sandwiches and shared some hot drinks; one of the gals had a thermos of hot chocolate. It was bliss.

After the pouring rain on the mountain, the clouds blew away, and the first two weeks of walking Camino Frances was hot! I was definitely drinking a lot of water. In fact, the only time I encountered rain was in Galicia, really, and just a few days. O'Cebreiro was rainy, as I recall. No big deal.

I was not carrying a sleeping bag, by the way. At night if I was cold, I just put on all of my clothing, including wool hat and gloves, and put my poncho over the top of me (very insulating). I will mention that a lot of albergues had blankets, so that was nice too.

My pack was a 32 L and about sixteen pounds (8 kilos or so). The weather, all the way through 10 November, was just fabulous.

In 2015, I walked out of SJPP on 30 September, and spent the night at Orisson. The 30th, it was so beautiful and sunny; the 1 of October, I crossed the Pyrenees walking alone, and a big storm blew in near the top. It was pouring rain, and we walked in a cloud. I saw pilgrims fade in and out of view, and three or four of us huddled at the hut and had sandwiches and shared some hot drinks; one of the gals had a thermos of hot chocolate. It was bliss.

After the pouring rain on the mountain, the clouds blew away, and the first two weeks of walking Camino Frances was hot! I was definitely drinking a lot of water. In fact, the only time I encountered rain was in Galicia, really, and just a few days. O'Cebreiro was rainy, as I recall. No big deal.

I was not carrying a sleeping bag, by the way. At night if I was cold, I just put on all of my clothing, including wool hat and gloves, and put my poncho over the top of me (very insulating). I will mention that a lot of albergues had blankets, so that was nice too.

My pack was a 32 L and about sixteen pounds (8 kilos or so). The weather, all the way through 10 November, was just fabulous.
Thank you. Your response is really encouraging. I'm still debating whether to replace my sleeping bag for a 320 weight merino outer layer that gives warmth when I'm not walking and at night. Would be interested in knowing the clothes you too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you. Your response is really encouraging. I'm still debating whether to replace my sleeping bag for a 320 weight merino outer layer that gives warmth when I'm not walking and at night. Would be interested in knowing the clothes you too.

My clothes included the following:
Merino wool shorts (high at waist, about four inches down the thigh)
Underwear under those
Normal undergarments
merino wool t shirt / heavier merino wool shirt with round neck and long sleeves (icebreaker, and expensive, but I wore it nearly daily when it did get cool)
One pair merino wool long underwear tights (wore when it was cold and also at night)
One pair black hiking tights (layered those with everything when I was cold or sleeping cold nights)
One pair hiking pants (quick dry)
three pair wool socks
one pair merino wool fingerless gloves
wool wrap scarf and two buffs, which I used both at a time often
Rain coat and fleece, which I wore when sleeping cold at night

That's about it for attire!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back