Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions on Invierno

bsmorgan

Aussie Pilgrims
Time of past OR future Camino
2009 SJPdP, 2010 Sarria, 2012 SJPdP, 2015 SJPdP
My husband and I are starting our third Frances from SJPP on 23 July. We are giving serious consideration to joining the Invierno from Ponferrada but have some questions.
Our Spanish is very limited. We can order food and find accommodation. I've read on the forum that a good grasp of Spanish is needed on this route. Will our limited Spanish get us through?
We are both coeliac, so will need to carry Gluten Free snacks and meals. From Gronze we think that we should be in larger towns with supermarkets every few days to stock up. we will eat at Bars every opportunity. I think we can manage our dietary needs but experienced users of this route may give advice to help our decision making.
How clearly marked is the route? I'm reading blogs of incorrect waymarking. I guess getting lost isn't a big deal as it will be still exploring a new area, but would like to know if the intended route is clearly marked.
I have Reb Scott's guide and Gronze. Com. Can I pick up anything useful at Ponferrada?
We are pretty sure that we want to do this route. In 2012 from Sarria in August was like being in the procession at Lourdes. Would enjoy a more contemplative route this time, we think but if our limited Spanish will hinder our participation we'd like to know before deciding on this route.
The advice of those who have gone before, as always would be appreciated.
Sue and Brian

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think you will be fine. You know your needs and limitations; this Way is waymarked and never terribly far from civilization, and you have guides and maps, so you oughtta be set.
Please download Laurie Reynolds' updated Invierno guide, available here on the forum.

Thank you Rebekah. Will do. Pretty sure this route is calling us.
Hope to go through to Muxia but will see how we are going.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Sorry I have not time at the moment, but the laws in Spain (due to an DE directive) has changed regarding labelling and serving food.
I will give you some details when I have some free time hopefully within the next few days.

Sorry about the long time in not coming back to you.
The EU implemented a directive in which all food must have labels which alert the consumer which ingredients are in the product which affect those with Allergens.
This link is an explanation in English about the directive. Link to PDF
There is also information on how unpacked food stuffs should be identified if they include ingredients which can affect the consumer. Link to PDF
On Page 80 of this PDF it explains about Gluten free food . Link to PDF
All of this information is in English for ease for you to read, therefore my advice is to ensure you know what your intolerances are in Spanish. Maybe your intolerance is covered, in some way, by this directive. What is hard for us to understand it that Gluten (as an intolerance to certain food stuffs) is not covered 100% by this directive.
What is hard to establish is what bar, restaurants and accommodation(s) are doing about informing the customer about allergens in food served. We are meant to have a notice on our menus saying that we have a list of ingredients available for each dish: It is for you the consumer to ask if certain foods have allergens to which you are not able to eat. You must not ask for the recipe! If waiting staff do not know they should be able to ask the chef.
You will find "sin Gluten" foods available in a lot of supermarkets but catering establishments like bars etc it could be harder to find. If you stay in any accommodation and you are able to pre-reverse it would be advisable to ask for meal(s) not to include ingredients to which you have a reaction to.
Hope this helps in some way please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you so much Ribeirasacra. Your response is awesome. I will download the pdf. Labelling food is so very important for coeliacs and those with intolerances, so I'm very pleased to see this enacted. I very much appreciate the time you have taken with your response.
Gracias,
Sue

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Enacted, well certainly with factory produced food. But the law does state that old stock can remain on the shelves until the sell by date has been reached. As for menus, in bars. Yes owners (that we know) are aware of the legislation, but it may well take time for them to finally add information. Personally think it may well come down to when the health inspector passes by the establishment.

My husband and I are starting our third Frances from SJPP on 23 July. We are giving serious consideration to joining the Invierno from Ponferrada but have some questions.
Our Spanish is very limited. We can order food and find accommodation. I've read on the forum that a good grasp of Spanish is needed on this route. Will our limited Spanish get us through?
We are both coeliac, so will need to carry Gluten Free snacks and meals. From Gronze we think that we should be in larger towns with supermarkets every few days to stock up. we will eat at Bars every opportunity. I think we can manage our dietary needs but experienced users of this route may give advice to help our decision making.
How clearly marked is the route? I'm reading blogs of incorrect waymarking. I guess getting lost isn't a big deal as it will be still exploring a new area, but would like to know if the intended route is clearly marked.
I have Reb Scott's guide and Gronze. Com. Can I pick up anything useful at Ponferrada?
We are pretty sure that we want to do this route. In 2012 from Sarria in August was like being in the procession at Lourdes. Would enjoy a more contemplative route this time, we think but if our limited Spanish will hinder our participation we'd like to know before deciding on this route.
The advice of those who have gone before, as always would be appreciated.
Sue and Brian

Hi, Bsmorgan,
I'm gearing up to start the revisions to the online Invierno guide and I'm working my way through all posts on the Invierno from 2015. Just wondering if walked the Invierno, whether you have any comments or suggestions I should add to the guide, and whether you'd be willing to read the new version as a draft when I'm done with it in a few months.

(Actually, these questions are also directed at any other Camino Invierno alumni, just send stuff my way!). Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Bsmorgan,
I'm gearing up to start the revisions to the online Invierno guide and I'm working my way through all posts on the Invierno from 2015. Just wondering if walked the Invierno, whether you have any comments or suggestions I should add to the guide, and whether you'd be willing to read the new version as a draft when I'm done with it in a few months.

(Actually, these questions are also directed at any other Camino Invierno alumni, just send stuff my way!). Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie. We were keen on doing invierno to avoid the crowds but we stayed on the Frances as we seemed to be in a quiet bubble. We had no trouble at all with crowds august / September. We were so tempted to walk the Invierno and feel that in the future it will call us.We had your guide printed off ready to head that way so maybe next time. It looks beautiful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back