• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions on navigating the forum website

C

Camino Chris

Ok, I'm fairly new here and fumbling my way around.

I received a "conversation" on my profile page, which I thought was like a private message, but apparently not? So I answered with a rather personal reply, but it went to anyone reading the original public post. Was I wrong in assuming it was private?

I always see those cute and quirky smiley type imoji faces on posts, but when I try to apply similar ones from my smartphone, it shows up while I am typing, but when I then send my comment, the imoji dissappears. I figure I must be doing something wrong.

Any help to straighten me out will be appreciated! (Smile).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Camino Chris I do not want to intrude in the private conversation and will not go looking for it, so I cannot say what happened.

I have started PRIVATE conversations with the following procedure:
  1. Left click on the persons profile name "Camino Chris". Note: "Camino Chris" is in blue, and when you put the mouse cursor over it, it becomes underlined, and the mouse cursor changes to a hand. It is a hyperlink that will bring up another window.
  2. Click Start a Conversation". The third line in the new window has the following options "Profile Page", "Start a Conversation", etc.
  3. Now it is much like any email interface. Just add participants, etc.
As far as the emojis on your smart phone ... I have successfully added an emoji from the limited number of emojis available when composing a post by selecting the "smiley face" icon 8th from the left. In between the ordered list icon and the image icon.

Good Luck

@Camino Chris I do not want to intrude in the private conversation and will not go looking for it, so I cannot say what happened.

I have started PRIVATE conversations with the following procedure:
  1. Left click on the persons profile name "Camino Chris". Note: "Camino Chris" is in blue, and when you put the mouse cursor over it, it becomes underlined, and the mouse cursor changes to a hand. It is a hyperlink that will bring up another window.
  2. Click Start a Conversation". The third line in the new window has the following options "Profile Page", "Start a Conversation", etc.
  3. Now it is much like any email interface. Just add participants, etc.
As far as the emojis on your smart phone ... I have successfully added an emoji from the limited number of emojis available when composing a post by selecting the "smiley face" icon 8th from the left. In between the ordered list icon and the image icon.

Good Luck
Thank you, Linkster. I will see if I can get your instructions to work for me. I appreciate the time you spent trying to help!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A conversation is always private and can be only seen by those who participate in that conversation BUT a message left on your profile page can be read by anyone that stumbles across your profile. Buen Camino, SY

To access private conversations there is a link near the top of each page, under the Recent posts button. If starting a conversation you can type the name into the box and it will come up with options to auto complete.
The profile conversations and the private conversations look different when opened, eg. the former show the tabs to posts etc. the latter have a box to add people to the conversation.
Hope that helps you :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Special characters from your smartphone won't work with the forum software, but Ivar has made simple emojis available by using the face icon on the text screen where you compose your post.

Above the post -

Icons.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Kanga, I need help again! How do I post a photo from my smartphone gallery? I tried a couple of things, but nothing works.
Use the Upload a File button for pictures. After uploading I always choose the full size option so that people don't have to click on a thumbnail image to view the picture.

Use the Upload a File button for pictures. After uploading I always choose the full size option so that people don't have to click on a thumbnail image to view the picture.
Thank you, Trecile! I will let you know if it works for me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I tend to use thumbnails for the benefit of those on limited download allowance. Photo heavy threads can eat into the allowance at a shocking rate :(, although it does mean having to click on the ones that haven't been seen previously.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back