• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions on the El Salvador

StuartM

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012)
Hi Folks,

flights booked and plans laid and in about seven weeks I'll be in Leon ready to start. I've got eight days and my plan is Leon > La Robla > Poladura del tercia > Campomanes. In Campomanes I leave the trail and head west into the Ubina Massif and climb Pena Ubina, bivi on the massif somewhere then back to Campomanes two days later (a 50'ish km detour). Campomanes > Mieres > Oviedo with a day in hand in case weather holds me up in the mountains.

I've got the CSJ guide and done a bit of reading on recommended websites but a few questions have occurred to me that I can't find an answer to:

1. What is it like for water fountains? I know the locals have a reputation for taking kindly to pilgrims but equally it's nice to not be reliant on others.

2. I read that there was a credencial specifically for the El Salvador. Where can I get one in Leon?

3. I also read (and can't find the link again) that there was a Compostela-like award available at the end in Oviedo. Anyone know where it is obtained and what the rules are regarding how many sellos are needed? How easy are sellos to obtain?

4. Which stretches really require you to carry food? How many days worth? La Robla to Campomanes looks fairly remote so I'm guessing that stretch needs self-sufficiency.

5. Most importantly... Can anyone recommend some really good places to eat along the way? :)

6. Next most importantly... Can anyone recommend some good places to stay? I'm aiming to do a mix of albergues, hotels and bivvying. I might need a recommendation for a hotel in Oviedo too, I don't want to book it until I'm out the mountanins though.

7. Any interesting sights worth making time for along the way?

8. I'm going the last week in August. How busy is the El Salvador likely to be?

9. What to see in Oviedo? I've got the obvious places like the Camara Santa and the churches at Naranco. Anything else?

10. Are bugs (airborne variety, not the bed infesting kind) likely to be a problem? I'm hoping less so with the altitude.

Thanks for any help provided.

I can't wait, I'm really looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Stuart

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
StuartM:

Best of luck to you. I believe you will enjoy the San Salvador.

Just completed the Salvador this April. Enjoyed it very much even though the weather made the trip difficult at times.

I do not carry water usually Gatorade or sport drinks. So, I never looked for fountains.
You can get a credential for the Salvador at the Albergue in Leon.
I just passed through Oviedo on my way to the Primitivo but I read somewhere there is some type of certificate.
Some of the small villages do not have a restaurant or bar (Cabanillas, Buiza, Poladura del Tercia). All the places you mentioned on your itinerary have food with the exception of Poladura del Tercia. This town has a terrible Albergue. I recommend you stay at the Casa Rural mentioned in the guide or walk on to Pajares. You could also change your earlier stop and go past La Robla to La Pola de Gordon. Then La Pola de Gordon to Pajares. Pajares to Campomanes. Here is a good site that breaks down your options and accommodations. http://caminodelsalvador.net

This route is relatively easy with the exception of Buiza to Campomanes. This stretch is more challenging especially if raining or snow. It is well marked and lightly traveled.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...
I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.