• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions: pack size/type, distance to cover

courtney78

Hello all,
I have a few questions--thanks to any who respond--
I'm walking end of May/beginning of June, and I'm looking for a pack. At the moment I'm thinking of the Osprey Atmos/Aura 35 or 50. Anyone have experience with these packs to share?
Also, I have 20 full days to walk. I'm in great shape, but in order to make it from SJPP to Santiago, I'll need to walk about 26 miles per day. Is this insane? Of course I'll want to see sights, rest, etc., but I'm mostly looking forward to the walking. Heat doesn't bother me, and I'm hardy when it comes to aches and pains.
Last thing: bed bugs. Not so hardy when it comes to thinking about those. Any word on current conditions at hostels? I'm considering just bringing along an anti-mite sheet to lay under my sleeping bag. Would this help?
Thanks very much.
Courtney

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, it's certainly possible - I walked it in 20 days and two others who started on the same day took a day longer - On average, I walked for about 7.25 hours per day with a maximum pace of 6 km/hr

I'd also suggest going for the lower volume sack and possibly going with a silk liner bag instead of a full sleeping bag

Hi - I'm not familiar with those packs, but my advice is to buy it soon so that you can train by walking long distances with your full pack. Also, don't make the mistake I did the first time - I didn't check out the relative weights of the packs themselves - my pack itself was relatively heavy so I couldn't add as much gear as I wanted to...

lynne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Backpacks

Hi, today I picked up my new backpack, an Osprey Talon 44, have had it on layby for the last 2 months. Its the small/med size so is about 42 litres and weighs 1 kilo (2.2lbs).

Last year I took an Osprey Aether 36 (sml size about 33 litres). While it was lightweight, there was only just enough room inside to fit my stuff plus a water bottle. It was very difficult to find extra room for food, bread got really squashed, biscuits broken etc. It also had no outside pockets, hence the water bottle being inside.

The new one has more internal room, outside pockets for bottles, little pockets for mobile phone, camera etc, so I can dispense with a bumbag. Also a nice light orange, so I'll be easy to find!

A question - where do you buy anti-mite sheets? I've not heard of these before.

Found a couple of manufacturers by doing a Google search.
This one at - http://www.allergymatters.com/acatalog/Bedding.html
looks good:
Dust Mite Proof Bed Liners
You no longer need to fear sleeping away from home. Allergymatters provides 100% pure fine cotton dust mite proof liner to go inside any bed when away from home. It is like a top sheet and bottom sheet, stitched together to create an effective barrier against dust mites while sleeping in another bed. It also has a pocket into which you can place a pillow, for maximum protection and is double stitched to ensure seams are dust mite proof too. The sleeping bag is ideal when you stay away from home, providing a silky cool nest and protective good night's sleep. Laboratory tested, these lightweight bed liners are ideal to prevent irritation from germs, allergens and chemicals in unfamiliar bedding. So enjoy your time away from home and get a healthy night's sleep.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Osprey pack

I picked up an Osprey Atmos 50 pack last month and have been very impressed with it. It is light weight (3 lbs.), has places for two water bottles, can handle Camelbak water bladder if desired, and has a great supension system that allows air to circulate while keeping the pack solidly on the back.

REI had these on sale last month, and I picked up the $200 pack for $70. The salepeople were even congratulating me on a good purchase. In the words of one fellow, "We keep them tucked away in the back so only the really comitted people would get them."

A few words of advice. Some people need some time to adjust to the pack, since it fits a bit different than your normal one. They also need time to figure out how to stow gear away in it, as it is not always intuitive. Some find stowing things in small stuff sacks first made life easier for them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You'll be fine with the 30/35 litre job. All you need to carry is two days worth of clothes, water, rucksack and all the little bits you'll need like wallet, sun cream etc...

I had my 50 lt pack lost in transit and ended up buying a 25 lt pack and I was ok with it, apart from not being able to pack my jacket in it, but that wasn't a big deal, I just strapped it to the outside.

Normally I'd use a 50 lt pack and just pull all the straps tight. I can't see any reason as to why, without water, your pack shouldn't be 5-6 kg in weight...

ps. Osprey sacks are fab ;)

Thank you

Thanks so much for these responses...the information on the anti-mite sheet is great--I wasn't sure where to find them, actually, I'd just heard about them, but I'm going to get one, I think.
Thanks for the info on the packs. Without a full sleeping bag (using just a liner) I think I'll have plenty of room in the Aura 35. I tried on the Atmos 35 in EMS and it felt great.
Thanks again--
Looking forward to meeting others walking May 23-June 13.

Courtney

doing it in 20 is fairly easy for someone in good shape, just take it easy early, don't do the full 26 miles at first, build yourself up

as for the backpack, the 35 is fine. You don't need to carry food, so you won't have too much stuff to carry, and you always want to keep weight down.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back