• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions re: starting Camino Frances the day after Easter

erinadrift

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 2016
I plan to start the Camino Frances in SJPP the day after Easter (March 28, 2016). From what I've gathered online, travel on Easter Sunday via train/bus/taxi from Barcelona to SJPP should not be a problem. Can anyone confirm this based on experience? If I can travel on Easter, I should arrive in SJPP early evening. Will the Camino office be open on Easter in the evening? If not, will it be open the next day (Monday) which I understand is actually a public holiday in Spain? I appreciate any information folks have based on specific experience or knowledge of the situation during the holiday weekend.

Also, does anyone know the current snow situation on the Camino Frances route from SJPP to Roncesvalles? I realize it can change quickly but trying to understand current situation. Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, that's nice! A fellow wanderer! I am starting the same day as you, we might see each other. :) I am travelling on Sunday from Amsterdam to Bayonne. Monday the 28th I will probably take the first train from Bayonne to SJPDP. First day I will just walk to Valcarlos (not the mountain way as far as I understood is that still closed when we are walking).

Happy walking!

I plan to start the Camino Frances in SJPP the day after Easter (March 28, 2016). From what I've gathered online, travel on Easter Sunday via train/bus/taxi from Barcelona to SJPP should not be a problem. Can anyone confirm this based on experience? If I can travel on Easter, I should arrive in SJPP early evening. Will the Camino office be open on Easter in the evening? If not, will it be open the next day (Monday) which I understand is actually a public holiday in Spain? I appreciate any information folks have based on specific experience or knowledge of the situation during the holiday weekend.

Also, does anyone know the current snow situation on the Camino Frances route from SJPP to Roncesvalles? I realize it can change quickly but trying to understand current situation. Thanks!

erinadrift,

The Pilgrim Office in SJPdP is open every day of the year. Why not telephone them when you arrive in Bayonne to tell them of your pending arrival? Here is the number .

Bon chemin and Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

You are advised to check train and bus schedules to confirm any travel plans. My experience with travel on a holiday (New Years Day) is that buses are fully subscribed with line ups around the bus station (and that was for the washroom and women lining up for stalls in the mens room). I'd suggest reservations are in order.

Renfe provides train service from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona.

ViBaSA provides bus service from Sants to Pamplona.

ALSA provides bus service from Estacion Nord to Zaragosa and Zaragosa to Pamplona.

CONDA (owned by ALSA) provides bus service from Pamplona to SJPdP.

Camino office in SJPdP is located in Aquitaine France ... not Spain. Easter Monday is a holiday in SJPdP Aquitaine France.

My understanding is that Monday following Easter is not an official holiday ... except in following 5 regions: CT, LO, NA, PV, VC of which I understand NA to be Navarra which includes Roncesvalles and Pamplona. EVERYTHING is closed on holidays (except albergues).

Hi, that's nice! A fellow wanderer! I am starting the same day as you, we might see each other. :) I am travelling on Sunday from Amsterdam to Bayonne. Monday the 28th I will probably take the first train from Bayonne to SJPDP. First day I will just walk to Valcarlos (not the mountain way as far as I understood is that still closed when we are walking).

Happy walking!

Great! Maybe I'll see both of you than somewhere on the Camino since I'll start from Roncesvalles on April 1st!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back