• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions re. Via de la Plata

Mike313

Hi all,
I've got a few basic questions about this camino.
1. How much of Via de la Plate is on roads? I'm sort of keen to avoid having to face oncoming traffic especially on narrow or walled roads.
2. I can look up the altitude of various points along the way but altitude at major points 10 or 20 miles/km apart doesn't tell me if it's got really steep bits. Are there any really steep sections?
3. This evening I just read about a guy who walked across America pushing a 'stroller' (a 3-wheeled buggy) with his possessions in it. Would this work on the Camino?
4. Is it worth considering taking a camping stove/pot/pan/plate along or did you all manage to buy ready-to-eat food along the way?
5. Any experience of walking at night?
Your advice/commenst will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hola Mike

The Via de la Plata from Seville is a great route in my opinion but it has some challenges.

1 There is some road walking as you might expect in a route of 1000 kms. But not as I remember of the type you describe.The vast majority of the route is off road on trails and some of the scenery is just spectacular.

2 Yes there are some steep sections but mostly these come in the latter stages of the route when fitness has built!

3 I personally don't think that a stroller or trailer would work on the Via de la Plata given the nature of the route - others may disagree.

4 I walked this route in January. Everything was open and I ate well in restaurants and bars. Some days you will have to carry food with you. IMHO a stove is not necessary.

5 I walked several times before dawn and it was absolutely magical - great care has to be taken however to follow the arrows.

Let us know how you get on please.

John

Hola Mike,
I can only comment on Seville to Salamanca:
1. The section from Castilblanco to the Parque Forestal is 17km on the road. Some people took a taxi. I don't have any information about a bus. There are a couple of road sections where there is a good bus option:
a. Caceres to Casar de Caceres - 5 or 6 km on a busy road, but there are regular bus services every day except Sunday. The bus station in Casar de Caceres is famous.
b. Aldeanueva de Camino to Banos de Montemayor - we took a bus about 1pm.
2. The last km or 2 into Almaden de la Plata is very steep, but the rest of the journey is undulating.
3. Much of the walk goes through trails that are a bit uneven. I agree with John.
4. Plenty to eat
5. I started early many times to avoid the heat. Many shops open very early for supplies and coffee.
The Via de la Plata is a great walk, I hope to return and do more.
Marianne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Mike,

Nothing much to add to the others' sage advice, but if you want an idea of the elevation gain and loss on a stage by stage basis, look at mundicamino.com. Find the stage you want, and then click on "trazado/perfil." It brings up a schematic diagram that indicates location of towns and the ups and downs.

Those three road segments Marianne mentions are the ones that stick out in my mind. There are others north of Salamanca as well, but usually on country roads. Out of A Gudina, for instance, or the road into Laza. But for some reason the abiding impression I have is not one of lots of asphalt, unlike the Norte for instance.

buen camino, Laurie

Hi.

I'm here on my second-and-a-half trip. I'd definitely say most is off-road. Yes, there are a few stretches where you're on asphalt for a fair distance. But overall, it's very minimal.

Re: elevation gain, I'd say it's not a big deal if you're in relatively decent shape. Yes, some parts are quite steep. But over the entire 1000 km, it's not a big %. Overall, it's rolling hills, though. You're not walking on flat paths. And there are plenty of rocky sections, so a stroller would be a hassle.

Don't do the stove. Not necessary.

I've only walked at dusk or night a few times. I much prefer daylight, simply because I like to see the scenery -- overall it's quite beautiful. And in some stretches, you could get injured if you stumbled in the dark. But I think this depends on personal preference. One note: a local farmer told me on this trip that too many peregrinos walk in the early morning. While they often have head lamps or reflective clothing, he said it's still hard to see them. He was worried. I met him on a pretty rural/remote section. Just something to keep in mind if you prefer to walk in the dark a lot. (Meaning -- light yourself up like a Christmas tree!)

Melanie

I did a few early starts just before dawn in November a couple of years ago and it was magical (well remember seeing Venus bright and then slowly fading in the west over SdC from 7.00am on leaving Ponte Ulla). The only unplanned night walk was after leaving Caparra at about 5pm and not getting to Aldeanueva until quite late, almost all in the dark, but mostly on road. Not a pleasant final stage on an otherwise glorious day.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Mike
1. as I recall the worst road bit is between Aldeanueva and Banos. When I did it, the volunteer hospitalero at A managed to persuade about 10 pilgrims that it was so nasty they should take a bus. But three of us insisted on walking it. Fortunately there was little traffic at the time.
2. I can't recall any really steep sections except maybe on the section after A Gudina (descent into Campoberros?) where there is rock and loose shale that would be tricky in the wet.
3. I've not heard about pushing a stroller but there are people who pull a 2-wheel thing like a golf cart with a harness - they even make these kinds of things for the job and someone posted some examples in the last couple of months. I think one of these could work on VdlP as long as you didn't use it to double the amount of baggage and weight you take - which would be v tempting
4. If you did pull a cart you could probably afford to take a mini stove (but check it'll take Spanish gas canisters). Otherwise as others say, there's not much point - unless you have to have that brew first thing in the morning wherever you are
5. I reckon that you probably could walk a lot of the first two thirds at night in reasonable weather and with a good head torch to switch on and spot the markers at junctions, as there are a lot of really long straight paths and with a good moon that could be actually be more interesting than in the day - if that was what you really wanted to do!
cheers, tom

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back