• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions specific to ECCO sandals

GreatDane

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
If you walked in ECCO sandals, what model did you use? If the model with some leather, how did it hold up to getting wet? Any problems with the velcro fasteners? Any problems with the sandals "collecting" pebbles into the sandal as you walked? How did they hold up after the many KMs of your camino? I am looking at the Offroad and the Yucatan models. Thanks!!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
While I haven't walked the Camino yet, I do have a pair of Yucatans and I don't like them. I've never had any walking shoes that attracted so much detritus under my feet as they do. I'm constantly stopping to remove pebbles, bits of dead plants, etc. I've only had them about 6 weeks, so no thoughts on how well they wear.

If you walked in ECCO sandals, what model did you use? If the model with some leather, how did it hold up to getting wet? Any problems with the velcro fasteners? Any problems with the sandals "collecting" pebbles into the sandal as you walked? How did they hold up after the many KMs of your camino? I am looking at the Offroad and the Yucatan models. Thanks!!!!

As a probably fellow Dane (?), I would not opt for ECCO sandals however great they may be for daily or long term walk on certain/many local stretches in Denmark. (I do use ECCO's in daily life but I do not have personal acquaintance with the brands you mention).

Personally, I walked in some Meindl low boots (did it for me! - no blisters - only attempts of a few which I quickly prevented with Compeed).

There are several stretches with gravel paths or stretches with the possibility of switching small pebbles into your sandals. So I would be wary of walking with sandals as my first choice. Maybe a closed ECCO shoe could be your first choice? - If so, you might wish - on certain stretches - to put a small rim of paper (just read toilet paper - ha!) around the rim.

annelise

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I completely agree with annelise. I bought mine because my favorite walking shoes are bicycle sandals with a sole almost like that of a ballet slipper and I wanted to get used to the kind of meaty sole I'll need on the camino, but for the actual camino I'd definitely prefer something where I can control the insole.

Anyway, the reason I'm revisiting this thread is that after I posted before I went out and looked at mine and after 6 weeks of walking not more than about 3 miles a day (those seemingly nice cushy suede insoles abrade the soles of my feet and the bottoms of my toes something fierce), they are definitely showing some wear on the heel strike area already. Now I'm pretty overweight and at home I'm walking on sidewalks and asphalt, but none of my other decent quality shoes have shown that kind of wear that fast, so I'd say that's another negative for the camino, unless you're considering them as after-walk shoes.

I keep seeing this keen newport alot. Here is the review of ecco yucatan by outdoorgearlab.
keen.jpg

Last edited:
Due to a large bone spur on each of my heels and a large bump at the base of my big toes I can only wear sandals that have a strap at the back which doesn't rub the bone spurs. I use closed toe sandals to avoid getting pebbles in my shoes. The two models I have a lot of experience with is the Keen Newport and the ECCO Fisherman. I have worn out two Newport's and three Fishermans. I have backpacked part of the Applacian trail, countless trail walks, even backpacked 10mi in foot deep snow in sandals. Plus all the normal everyday activities.

Both shoes last me about 500 miles and they both fail at the rear velco heel strap hinge where a stretchy fabric is the base for the velcro strip to be sewn too. That fabric eventually rips but isn't worth repairing because shortly thereafter the soles disintegrate. I just had to accept they are only 500mi shoes!

The ECCO's are the better sandal because the footbed cushions the feet from rock bruises better and isn't slippery on wet rocks. I found the Newports were slippery.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks all. I camino'd this past fall in Keen Verdi II Mids with Superfeet insoles. They were beyond perfect for me. Only problem is that they have been discontinued and I'm having problems finding another pair for my next camino! Though I may just change out the SuperFeet to a new pair. I own at last count over 2.5 dozen pairs of Keen's in boots, sandals, "dress shoes" etc. (it is a sickness I'm afraid but when I can find a shoe manufacturer that makes a great product that fits my crazy feet I go overboard). So I know all about them!!! Wearing my CNX Clearwaters right now that I used as my after hours camino shoes. Anyway, my ECCO question arose because I met people along the way that were using them as their only Camino shoe and it got me wondering.

Wow, I missed this thread! I used the Ecco Off-Road hiking sandals to walk the whole of the Camino del Norte (840km) in May/June and the Camino Francés in September. Loved them. No wear after over 1000km. Adjusted properly they give plenty of support - and I do use trekking sticks for stability. No blisters. Pebbles and stones kick out. Wade through the mud and wash it off in the first water trough. No problem with the velcro fasteners, no problem with water. They are not sold as "water sandals" but days of rain, and muddy paths on the Norte did not seem to affect them at all. They don't dry instantly but were fine to walk in while wet

I took Sealskinz waterproof socks for the odd occasion my feet were likely to get cold as well as wet.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.