• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to easily purchase train tickets online

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
:) I'm taking a train from Malaga to Sevilla next week. RENFE's website wasn't very cooperative when I booked it. So I used the Trainline Android app instead. Very quick and straightforward with none of the card payment problems that sometimes make booking with RENFE a pain in the posterior :)
Yup, Trainline (used to be Loco2) is excellent; although the rebranding/buyout significantly increased the premium vs the original ticket-issuer.

It’s cheaper going RENFE direct, but only if you don’t account for personal time and frustration.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I guess that there is a waiting line on the Renfe website today because of this:

Spanish operator Renfe will begin operating low-cost, high-speed Avlo services between Madrid and Valencia from February 21, with tickets on sale from January 20. Tickets will start at €7 each way, with 2200 seats available per day.

There was a similar queue for train tickets in December when they released tickets for Madrid-Santiago for €5 on the new high-speed train to Galicia when it was inaugurated. I don't think that you can beat this kind of price for a long-distance high-speed train trip with a Tarjeta Dorada. ☺️

I find it actually impressive that the Renfe website can deal with such a high demand in such a short time.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are reports in the Spanish news today about yesterday’s waiting times and queues on the Renfe website when the tickets for the low cost high speed Avlo train for Madrid-Valencia became available for the first time.

Renfe says that they sold 25,000 tickets within 4 hours. The sale had started at 8 pm Spanish time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yup, Trainline (used to be Loco2) is excellent; although the rebranding/buyout significantly increased the premium vs the original ticket-issuer.

It’s cheaper going RENFE direct, but only if you don’t account for personal time and frustration.
Didn't Loco2 change to Rail Europe? I use Rail Europe a lot, as The Trainline charges a booking fee, I think, The Renfe site can be frustrating, but I managed to negotiate it three times recently. By the way, when I used my Starling Bank card via PayPal to pay for one of the tickets, it charged me twice, but the second payment was then returned about 10 minutes later

Didn't Loco2 change to Rail Europe? I use Rail Europe a lot, as The Trainline charges a booking fee, I think, The Renfe site can be frustrating, but I managed to negotiate it three times recently. By the way, when I used my Starling Bank card via PayPal to pay for one of the tickets, it charged me twice, but the second payment was then returned about 10 minutes later
You are correct, I was mistaken. Yes Loco2 became Rail Europe.

I first came upon it on a recommendation from ‘themaninseat61’

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A slight deviation, but it looks as though I'll be using a train for the first time in Spain this year. Do you have to validate actual tickets before getting on the train? Can you use online tickets?

No and Yes in that order :) No need to validate paper tickets. Tickets bought online are fine - you can show the train staff the PDF ticket you received on a mobile phone or paper printout. If you use an Android or iPhone app the ticket will probably be saved as a QR barcode which you show the staff. Being a cautious type I prefer to print a hard copy just in case of phone problems on the day.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back