• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Queueing at pilgrims office

Helenenn

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi I arrived in santiago de compostela today but missed out on getting my certificate.
I have scanned the qr code and filled in details got text with ref number .
Can I ask if I go to the office about 8 am and just wait until it opens at 9 would that be OK.
I fly home tomorrow afternoon

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's very simple and you'll be ok.. The office opens at 9 but a queue starts before that so just get there as early as you can and join the queue.. 8:00 will be fine, even 7:30 if you feel like it. Show the security guy at the door your code and he'll send you downstairs to get a queue ticket for the desk. When your number is called, just present your credential and have your your 8 digit code on the text or email ready to show the staff member and you'll be grand..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's very simple and you'll be ok.. The office opens at 9 but a queue starts before that so just get there as early as you can and join the queue.. 8:00 will be fine, even 7:30 if you feel like it. Show the security guy at the door your code and he'll send you downstairs to get a queue ticket for the desk. When your number is called, just present your credential and have your your 8 digit code on the text or email ready to show the staff member and you'll be grand..
I'm in the same boat..have a
I'm in the same boat..have a QR code and a reference number but told to come back tomorrow. Will I need to scan the QR code and enter all my details again or can I use the one already generated? I plan to be there EARLY!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Early is best Here is the line at 8:30 when I was there in August. There should be fewer people now. This is around the corner from the entrance to the pilgrim's office.

View attachment 110701
Yikes... 😲 Times have changed since I received my last compostela in 2015.
And I have absolutely no idea about this QR/queueing code procedure you're all mentioning either!
Back then, you just showed up to the Pilgrims Office, sometimes with a wait, sometimes not.
I'm wondering if today's system, which of course I understand is necessary to handle the sheer numbers, detracts from the arrival experience?
My last SdC arrival, I could also enter the Cathedral with my backpack on...another aspect I believe is long gone.
Oh, for the good ol' days... 🙏
👣 🌏

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And I have absolutely no idea about this QR/queueing code procedure you're all mentioning either!
Back then, you just showed up to the Pilgrims Office, sometimes with a wait, sometimes not.
I'm wondering if today's system, which of course I understand is necessary to handle the sheer numbers, detracts from the arrival experience?
My last SdC arrival, I could also enter the Cathedral with my backpack on...another aspect I believe is long gone.
Oh for the good ol' days... 😌
👣 🌏
I’m with you! 💕 Memories, hey? 🙂 Walking into the Cathedral with backpack😎

This year, only now do I realise how lucky I was, I obviously walked the Camino before anyone else… (Started in June). It was very different and certainly very lonely but there was no queuing anywhere.
My phone wouldn’t pick up the data at the pilgrim’s office so I just filled up a form manually and went through after maybe … 10 min?
I promised a friend I would be walking with her starting this April and… I am dreading it after hearing all those stories! 😁😱

Last edited:
👣 🌏
This was my first Camino so I have no idea about the past. However once you get your QR Code/number you are free to leave. You just need to check in on line and come back before your number is called. I spent my time relaxing in the garden, did some sketches and bought some gifts for my wife and daughters.

I’m with you! 💕 Memories, hey? 🙂 Walking into the Cathedral with backback 😎

This year, only now do I realise how lucky I was, I obviously walked the Camino before anyone else… (Started in June). It was very different and certainly very lonely but there was no queuing anywhere.
My phone wouldn’t pick up the data at the pilgrim’s office so I just filled up a form manually and went through after maybe … 10 min?
I promised a friend I would be walking with her starting this April and… I am dreading it after hearing all those stories! 😁😱
Yes! 🥰 Walking into the Cathedral...trail weary & gear grubby, felt like a rite of passage.
Since my last Camino (the Portugues from Lisbon in 2015), my long distance walking has taken me to different countries around the globe (pre-Covid...Aussie international borders still closed), no racing or queueing anywhere for anything.
I have the VdlP on 'My List' for when life as I knew it returns somewhat...& I can't even imagine what arrival in SdC will feel like then in comparison to what we experienced. Are we showing our 'walking age' @domigee ? 😆
Apologies for the derailment @Helenenn 😇
👣 🌏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for info. Can I ask can I collect it at another time eg if I come back next year

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm in the waiting area in the Pilgrim Office right now.

Preregister online and you will receive an 8 digit code on your phone.

When you arrive show the code and you will be allowed in.

Keep going straight ahead and down the stairs, turn left.

Go the the booth and present your code as proof of registration and you will be given a bar code to scan to let you see the queue on your phone.

I'm still working out the length of wait as number 0314 is showing and I'm 0917.

Time for lunch maybe.

When we arrived, there was only about 12 people in front, so it took us minutes to get our QR code.

Just waiting for my turn now.

Go the the booth and present your code as proof of registration and you will be given a bar code to scan to let you see the queue on your phone.

I'm still working out the length of wait as number 0314 is showing and I'm 0917.

Time for lunch maybe.

When we arrived, there was only about 12 people in front, so it took us minutes to get our QR code.

I'd say you definitely have time for lunch! We arrived at the office at 7.30 and queued until it opened at 9. We were numbers 33 and 34. It took another 45 minutes or so to get our Compostelas

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The new queuing system and the requirement to submit your estadillo data in advance via the internet has less to do with speed or convenience to pilgrims than it does to help stop the spread of COVID. Some months ago, before Galicia got a handle on the virus spread, the Cathedral was desperate to reduce COVID infection vectors.

One of the central themes was to eliminate people handling the same item: pen, rubber stamp, clipboard, data capture form (estadillo), etc. For some years, several of us, staff and volunteers dreamed about automating the process for those who chose to opt in to an accelerated process.

I even wrote a white paper on this. I left the white paper without attribution, after a month-long stay some years ago, so someone there could find it and claim it as their own idea. That is just how things work.

PART of that process was advance data submission by individual pilgrims or groups, over the internet, with a QR code to indicate you had done so correctly. This was implemented early in 2021 - but as a means to protect pilgrims and staff against COVID - not necessary to speed up the queues. However, it DOES have that effect.

Just FYI, my original white paper concept was to offer immediate laser printing of Compostelas and Distance certificates using the advance input data and already existing very appropriate laser printer calligraphic fonts. This would only be available to pilgrims who ticked that box when submitting their data. Two printers would be used - one for Compostelas and another for Distance Certificates.

Under this scheme, your initial QR code would be scanned by security at the front door. You would be sent to an office in the back garden. By the time you arrived at this office, your certificates would have been freshly printed. Your credencial would be reviewed, stamped and returned to you. Away you go -

In terms of process times, calculated from the time the staff person or volunteer clicks on "next person' and "Señor Bong" (the video sign over the entry to the office) prompts the next pilgrim to proceed to Desk # X, the process times are as follows - timed by yours truly.

Original method - manual FIFO queue followed by providing data using pen and paper at the counter and doing everything manually - minimum 3 minutes, maximum = infinity, median about 7 minutes - if the staffer person is hustling.

Current method - QR regulated queue, advance data submission, standard interview and manual document preparation - minimum of 2 minutes, maximum of 4 minutes, median time about 3 minutes. I have seen it done in one minute. it was amazing this past September, to watch this and to realize that the staff had no idea what they were really doing in terms of accelerating the process, as practice for 2022.

White paper process - NOT including front door scan or the walk to the express processing office - projected time to review credencial and stamp it, while another staff or volunteer retrieves the appropriate certificates - about one minute.

The choice to do a lot more work, using fewer paid or volunteer employees, or to process a LOT more requests for certificates remains with the Cathedral management and clerical hierarchy. All I could do is plant the kernel. It needs to grow independently of my participation and attention.

Hope this explanation helps.

Tom

No. Once you have the reference number, the 8 digit code, you'll be fine. Get tbere as early as you can if you have an afternoon flight.
Thank you for this thread and info, I am on my way and was wondering the same thing on the queues and QR code.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I thought that @t2andreo had made a post recently detailing how quickly you should return to the Pilgrims Office based on where in the queue you were, but I can't find it.
I did find this from @t2andreo
The gap between your queue number and what server now shows how long you have to wait. If you have a 200 or more variance, you are likely safe to leave the pilgrim office to have a meal, check into your accommodations, etc. Once you get to less than 100, work your way back to the office

This remains correct as of mid-September. Pilgrim arrival numbers are starting to drop off as a seasonal variation. You need to reassess your queue number and how fast they are moving to determine how far you can wander.

DO NOT MISS YOUR QUEUE NUMBER being called. You run the risk of being sent back to get a new number and waiting a lot longer.

Don't forget, you can check the current number being served by going here on your smart phone:

http://catedral.df-server.info

Thus, if you had a number gap of, say 200 from the number being served now and your queue number, you might have time to go to your lodgings, check in, drop your stuff and perhaps grab a snack or a coffee before needing to get back in time.

The next 50 people in the queue are brought to the upper garden by the fountain. The next 20 (of the 50) are brought inside the hallway. COVID safety considerations determine how many people are staged where.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
After 3hrs it's moved on by 400.

And yes, once we figured it out, we did go outside.

We have just returned to the quiet of the garden as its very busy in the streets. No chance to have lunch as everywhere around the square was completo and we didn't fancy walking further after our walk today.

So, we just had a cold beer instead to fortify us for dinner, after we get our Compostela

€46,-
After 3hrs it's moved on by 400.

And yes, once we figured it out, we did go outside.

We have just returned to the quiet of the garden as its very busy in the streets. No chance to have lunch as everywhere around the square was completo and we didn't fancy walking further after our walk today.

So, we just had a cold beer instead to fortify us for dinner, after we get our Compostela
Its a holiday weekend so bound to be very busy in Santiago. Congrats on completing your Camino!

👣 🌏
Backpacks weren’t allowed in the Cathedral when I arrived in May of 2015

Hi I arrived in santiago de compostela today but missed out on getting my certificate.
Can I ask if I go to the office about 8 am and just wait until it opens at 9 would that be OK.
Yes. I was there Tuesday and filled everything out and wanted to wait until the next day as it was my birthday and wanted that date on my Compostela. I came back the next morning about 830 and was #14 when they opened and was done by 915.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On Wednesday we arrived and went to the Pilgrim's Office at about 13:00. We were done in 40 minutes and were numbers 427 and 428. A friend went at around 15:00 and was number 8XX. He waited 2+ hours. I guess we got lucky! Also, it seems there's no slowing of the flow. Perhaps 1000 pilgrims per day. The streets were full! Buen Camino!

Times have certainly changed since I completed the Camino Frances on 11 November, 2005. I walked into the office to collect my Latin certificate about midday, waited 5 minutes and was “processed”. QR codes, booking a place in a queue? No!
Maybe arriving in November helped as there were not too many pilgrims arriving then

No problem getting into the cathedral for the pilgrims’ service either.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Times have certainly changed since I completed the Camino Frances on 11 November, 2005. I walked into the office to collect my Latin certificate about midday, waited 5 minutes and was “processed”. QR codes, booking a place in a queue? No!
Maybe arriving in November helped as there were not too many pilgrims arriving then

No problem getting into the cathedral for the pilgrims’ service either.
gb,
Indeed, those were easier, simpler times. It was the same for me November 16, 2004. I walked upstairs in the Dean's office, the assistant reviewed my Credencial with all its varied stamps, marked it with one final stamp, and issued the treasured Compostela and smiling shook my hand.

Thank you for this thread and info, I am on my way and was wondering the same thing on the queues and QR code.
You're welcome! I like to help with simple, short and clear answers if I can. Unfortunately, others usually complicate it with unnecessary or irrelevant detail which only ever leads to more confusion and lots more questions, muddying the water again. It's frustrating but I'm glad you found it useful..

I’m with you! 💕 Memories, hey? 🙂 Walking into the Cathedral with backpack😎

I don't know if its changed in the past 12 months, but my experience was similar when I arrived at Santiago this time last year. I have a phone but its not a smart one; I told the man outside the pilgrims office that I couldn't access the QR code and he told me to fill out a paper form, disappeared for a few muniutes and came back with a ticket. There was no queue and I walked straight in to collect my compostela.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Backpacks weren’t allowed in the Cathedral when I arrived in May of 2015
I arrived in June 2015 & walked straight in to the Cathedral...can't remember which entrance, but it wasn't the main one...with my backpack on.
I don't recall any signage (perhaps I had my 'filter' on 😉) & I wasn't approached on entry or whilst inside by security or anyone else.
After reading your comment, I now treasure even moreso the memory of being able to enter the Cathedral as a first port-of-call on completion of my journey, gear still donned, one last time. 🙏
👣 🌏

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
👣 🌏
People were entering cathedral with packpacks on yesterday 09 oct when I was there .security took a quick look inside mine and waved me on

Time for lunch maybe.

Got our QR code then had plenty of time to have lunch before it was time to get our Compostellas. Quite a good system.

Time for lunch maybe.

You mentioned that you registered online David do you have a link for this ? Thanks

Go here

Choose a language, complete your details and press the unlikely sounding ‘create a group’ button and a 8-digit code will be messaged to your smartphone and emailed to you.

That gets you in the door and thence to a booth where a queue-number QR code will be produced.

I just tried it and to my great surprise it worked.

Last edited:
That's plenty early, the office opens at 9:00. I had planned on getting there at 8:30, but got caught up in conversation with someone on the way ... getting there a bit later got me number 146 which didn't take particularly long to get me to the window to get everything I needed.

Go here

Choose a language, complete your details and press the unlikely sounding ‘create a group’ button and a 8-digit code will be messaged to your smartphone and emailed to you.

That gets you in the door and thence to a booth where a queue-number QR code will be produced.

Thanks for you help

I arrived in Santiago de Compostela last night. Rested, woke up a little later than usual and figured since I was late (9-10am) I would not get my Compostela since every other pilgrim was scaring me that numbers would run out.

I registered online, went to the Pilgrim's office, got a turn with a QR code downstairs, went and got a coffee, sat and enjoyed the view...in less than an hour I had my Compostela.

I think the new system is lovely and convenient as long as you have internet on your phone, you can check the queue virtually. Very pleased with how it went.

P.S. Don't be scared of the process, it works.

I thought that @t2andreo had made a post recently detailing how quickly you should return to the Pilgrims Office based on where in the queue you were, but I can't find it.
I just applied online. Question- We have 4 in our party ( 1 adult /3 teens) and the prompt asks to set up group. When I fill out info it only asks for my info. Will this group QR code be good for 4 of us or does everyone need to fill one out? Thank you.

This is not a reply to LaurieElizabeth's question, but just to state that, when I went to get my Compostella on Nov. 9 this year there was a very short line (I was the earliest and the first). I had not done any of the online preparation, but my wait in line inside, once they were open, was very short. I had a couple of credenciales, after a very long walk (I started in Valencia). I went through the line in minutes. If you arrive very late in the walking season, delays are likely to be shorter as there are fewer pilgrims arriving. My phone was not capable of handling this function, or much else, but I still went through rapidly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just applied online. Question- We have 4 in our party ( 1 adult /3 teens) and the prompt asks to set up group. When I fill out info it only asks for my info. Will this group QR code be good for 4 of us or does everyone need to fill one out? Thank you.
That's a flaw in the system - probably a translation issue. Even though it says create a group, it's for individual input.
Perhaps @t2andreo can chime in about how to set up a group.

Go here

Great to know. How long in advance before finishing the Camino should one do so?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great to know. How long in advance before finishing the Camino should one do so?
When you’re confident you’ll be there in time to take the turn you’re offered, it’s intended to be used when you’ve arrived; but I suppose you could do it a couple of hours in advance…

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.