• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Queuing for the compostela

M

Maverick

Well, just a small thought here about the "pilgrim experience."
Last month I arrived at the pilgrim's office in Santiago - pouring with rain, so those awaiting their compostela were hunched under the archway before the dash to the office door. In a "kind-of" queue. Now, I just wished to visit the pilgrim toilets, at the rear of the yard, and so excused myself past the waiting (wet) pilgs. Well, what a shout went up from them all, thinking I was trying to jump the queue for compostela. Surely, by the time one has walked 100 to 800 kms,, one has taken on a bit of understanding, and, dare it be said, patience?? (I was soaked, as well, and needing the loo):(
My point: just because we are so-called "pilgrims" doesn't make us better than anyone else.
Unlike some other posts on this forum.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"Kind-of" queues are very common in continental Europe. It has taken me a long time to learn to wait. I remember one of my children was with me in a boulangerie in France where the queue was moving very slowly because everone was talking with each other and kissing each other six times - three at the "hello" and three at the "aurevoir". "You'd think that these people had all day, the way they talk and talk," I said. "But you've got all of today as well," said my little boy.
Another time in a doctor's surgey the wait was always over an hour, sometimes two. This was because the doctor - there was only one - took all day with each patient, usually singing opera while diagnosing. Again this was in a village in France.
One time I said to him,"Have you thought of some sort of appointment system?" He looked directly at me saying, "Why should I do that?" "Because your patients come here and wait for hours. They even come early so they are queuing long before you get here." "Ah!!" he said. "You think they get cured in here. No! No! No!, most of the healing takes place out there in the waiting room. Most of them only come to chatter away with each other. They need that more than they need me."

That's not on topic, but if you've waited, reading so far:

I agree with you that it is to be hoped that as a benefit of the camino we all slow down enough to be able to wait and even use the waiting well. Maybe the ability to wait peacefully is a virtue. It's not, however, one that many pilgrims train for on the camino where getting going early and arriving early all as fast as possible is not unknown. I suppose if you'd peed in the bushes most wouldn't have noticed, few would have objected and all would have known what you wanted.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back