• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quick Arrivals Stats Question

Dorpie

RIP 2019
Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia 2013
Camino Frances May 2015, July 2017, October 2019
Sorry I'm being dense and can't quite seem to find stats for daily issuance of Compostelas in Santiago. I can find aggregated monthly stats for 2018 on the Oficina site but I'm wanting to find out more specifically when numbers start to drop off in order to plan my walk later in the year.

If anyone has a link to these stats I'd be super grateful.

Rob.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm sorry, but I don't think you can get 'realtime' stats.

What you could do is compare the stats for a specific month for different years. If you repeat this for different months, you might get an idea about when numbers normally start to drop.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you can get 'realtime' stats.

What you could do is compare the stats for a specific month for different years. If you repeat this for different months, you might get an idea about when numbers normally start to drop.

Sorry Andre, you're quite right, I should have been clearer. I'm looking for stats for 2018.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ah, I see. You're specifically looking for daily stats (and not monthly ones). Mmmm. Maybe you can ask the Pilgrim's Office if they'd be willing to share them with you?

It's on here. Just use the dropdown to select the dates.
i.e. 2018 - todos
Hi Robo,

I think he already found this on the site. But the site only provides monthly statistics, and he is looking for daily statistics: he wants to know how many on Monday the 1st, on Tuesday the 2nd, and so on).

The site doesn't give these kind of stats. But maybe there's an other way?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks @Robo I got this far but I'm looking for daily stats.

Essentially what I want to do is find the sweet spot for starting out from St Jean in late September/early October where there won't be hoardes of people and the weather won't have turned too much for the worse.

Obviously it's a fools errand as there's no saying what the weather will be like this year but I can at least give myself a fighting chance.

Essentially what I want to do is find the sweet spot for starting out from St Jean in late September/early October where there won't be hoardes of people and the weather won't have turned too much for the worse.
There are arrival statistics and there are departure statistics ... below are the departure statistics from Saint Jean Pied de Port for 2017 by week. The pattern doesn't really change much from year to year. I've never seen daily arrival statistics. Although I think there may be someone from APOC who collects them from SdC and puts them through Excel. If they are publicly available they are probably buried among thousands of posts on Facebook ...
SJPP 2017.png

Thanks @Kathar1na that's really helpful. amazing that there's nearly a 50% drop off from the first to the last week of September.

Annoying things is that I'm sure I've been to a website with daily stats before but now it's nowhere to be found. Ah well, weeklies are probably as accurate as I really need.

Rob.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Those are weekly stats, which would not reflect the typical mid-week slump. Looking at the chart, week 40 would begin about 1 Oct and offers a 50% reduction from the mid-September highs. However, that puts @Dorpie into SdC mid-November, which is then risking worse weather. So the sweet spot might be a little earlier (4th week of Sept?) but with a mid-week (Tues-Wed-Thurs) departure from SJPP. Earlier than that runs the opposite risk of this new heat wave phenomenon.

There is an annual cycle at play here. The peak season starts with Semana Santa (Holy Week) just before Easter. Traffic builds from that point until the schools let out, particularly in Europe at the end of May - through mid-June.

After that, things get crazy busy through about mid-September. This is when most students and school personnel have time to do pilgrimage. It is also the annual holiday / vacation season for many people.

To get a good idea of the traffic, look at departures from St. Jean Pied de Port. Probably the single largest tranche of long walkers, on the most popular Camino (Frances) leave from there. There is a sharp drop off in people starting around mid-September. By monitoring this 'pig in the python' you can get a fair idea of when it is 'safe to come out and play...'

The other really large starting wave on the Camino Frances is from Sarria, at almost any time of the year, as this is the most popular starting place for folks who can or choose to walk the 118 remaining kilometers on the Caminos Frances. I call these minimal distance folks the 'short-walkers.' It is also easily accessible by bus and train from within Spain.

Recently, Tui (Spain)and Valenca (Portugal) on the Camino Portuguese have increased in short-walker departures as well, as the distance is also about 118 - 120 km. This makes one eligible for the Compostela. Valenca is easily accessible from the south in Portugal. Tui is also easily accessible by RENFE train from Spain.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
"Hope this helps."

Thanks @t2andreo , what you say almost without fail helps. Starting to look like 3rd week in September from SJPdP will work well for me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have not yet walked in the autumn. All of my six Caminos were done from late April through the end of May. I love the promise of new life and renewal in the Spring.

Many folks who walk in the autumn / otoño 'hip season' swear by it. I admit to being curious.

I know that it can remain frightfully hot through the end of September. But, I understand from others that the evenings cool off and early morning walking is very pleasant.

Do report back...

@t2will do. Going for a full set of seasons. Spring was beautiful, Summer sweltering, we'll see what Autumn and eventually Winter have in store.

Confirming what was posted earlier, here is a bar graph of St. Jean Pied de Port departures from 2015. Based on the numbers, I believe that the earlier graph is from a year or two earlier (2013 or 2014). I can also tell you that, based on other sources, the drop-off in late September is becoming slightly later each year.

Another, less scientific source, is the chatter on this forum. If you look back at September posts in the last couple of years, you will see several comments about "complete" albergues every May and every September, particularly in the first 10-12 stages of the Camino Frances.

You are wise to be considering this data. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have always walked in the autumn. From no statistics, but simply photos and pilgrim blogs, it seems to me that the autumn is drier than spring. But then, I choose less traveled routes now. I do not worry about crowds walking the Madrid and the Invierno this fall, any more than I did when walking the VdlP two years ago. Both times, my departure date was Oct. 3, and I would not wish to start much sooner, even though it is November when I arrive in Santiago. For one thing, it is likely to be hot earlier in the fall. But we choose the dates that work for us, then enjoy what we get.

@t2will do. Going for a full set of seasons. Spring was beautiful, Summer sweltering, we'll see what Autumn and eventually Winter have in store.

I have now walked in all 4 seasons and truly enjoy the fall. This past mid October I caught the last scheduled bus from Pamplona to SJPDP and walked to Santiago, repeating what I did during my first Camino Frances in July 2010 (last Holy Year). Crossing the Pyrenees was better late October than it was in July! It is truly the luck of the straw. The first week we were all in t-shirts but when crossing Montes de Oca we had snow flurries and when I woke up in Atapuerca we had centimeters of snow and it snowed all the way down followed by sun when I arrived in Burgos. The only thing that you need to watch is the closing of many albergues mid to late October but the great website www.aprinca.com will give you a list of all the albergues open in the winter. Don't trust www.gronze.com for winter information although otherwise a fantastic source of information.

And regarding departures from SJPDP: when I arrived in Roncesvalles mid October this past year I talked with the Dutch hospitaleros and they said that it was the first week that they had fewer pilgrims, in fact only one floor was open.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are arrival statistics and there are departure statistics ... below are the departure statistics from Saint Jean Pied de Port for 2017 by week. The pattern doesn't really change much from year to year. I've never seen daily arrival statistics. Although I think there may be someone from APOC who collects them from SdC and puts them through Excel. If they are publicly available they are probably buried among thousands of posts on Facebook ...
View attachment 59983
I know this is an old post but can you provide the link to where these stats came from?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The statistics are also on the website for the Pilgrim's Office in St Jean Pied de Port

The statistics are also on the website for the Pilgrim's Office in St Jean Pied de Port

Thanks. I’m looking for the elusive “by week” departure graph. I’ve found one from 2017 but wondered what’s its origin.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's the 3rd graph on this page of the SJPdP Pilgrim's office site.

I noticed that they haven't done weekly statistics since that 2017 graph.
Thanks so much. I’m basing my sweet spot on this graph being the year 2017. Therefore the peak week 36 is September 4-10. I’m aiming for around August 25, a Wednesday as I’m told there is a weekend surge. Around 7:40 am.
Did I mention I’m obsessive/ compulsive?

Last edited:
BTW the American Pilgrim site has a nice compilation of statistics. Found here

Thanks so much. I’m basing my sweet spot on this graph being the year 2017. Therefore the peak week 36 is September 4-10. I’m aiming for around August 25, a Wednesday as I’m told there is a weekend surge. Around 7:40 am.
Did I mention I’m anal retentive?
Yes, it says it is from 2017. Based on numerous threads and comments here and in various Camino FB groups many people wait until the beginning of September to start their Caminos. I began my first Camino on Sunday, August 21st 2016, with my first night at Orisson. I never had any problem at all finding a bed, and by the time I got to O Pedrouzo I found albergues that were only about 1/4 to 1/3 full.
The following year I started at the beginning of July, and it was very quiet on the Francés until around O Cebreiro.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back