• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

quick layover in zurich

Deanpf

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2016 from Burgos to Finisterre
Has anyone ever flown through Zurich? I have found a good price on flights from Montreal to Madrid and then return from Porto to Montreal but the zurich layover is only 45 minutes so just wondering if that will be enough time to get my flight to madrid. I like the combo of coming into Madrid because I am starting my walk in Burgos and Porto seems like a great place to fly back home from as it seems so close to Santiago. Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, Deanpf,
If you book this all on one ticket, the airline must think there is enough time. But if you miss the connection, so long as it is booked on one ticket, it's going to be the airline's job to rebook you. A quick look at flights suggests there are a lot of flights from Zurich to Madrid. In my experience, if you miss your connection, and if you're sweet to the ticket agent, he or she is likely to find you a good connection even if it means putting you on another airline.

Zürich is my favorite airport to fly into. It feels like your landing in someone's field. The airport is quite small so it'd be easy to make your connection, but like @peregrina2000 said, if you don't book the entire itinerary at the same time and your flight is delayed, you could have problems. An agent once told me less than a 90 minute layover on an international flight was considered an "illegal connection" and she couldn't book it.
If you are booking this on your own with two separate airlines, another option would be to buy travel insurance on the cheaper flight if they offer it. It should cover you if you miss your connection. (Read the small print)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks both. I would be booking it all at the same time through skyscanner (the deal is through expedia i believe). the first flight is air canada and the second swissair.

Thanks both. I would be booking it all at the same time through skyscanner (the deal is through expedia i believe). the first flight is air canada and the second swissair.

I would not normally consider a transfer with less than 2 hours from flight arrival to flight departure.

Your flight from Montreal will likely arrive late.

Your luggage doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell of making a '45' minute connection even if the plane arrives early.

Carry-on will improve your chances; and you might look at how far between terminals/gates (Zurich might be a small-ish airport but it has shop-filled terminals) and check-in times and passport/immigration procedures

But you'll be using two different airlines so missing the connection would be your problem

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Zürich is small and very practically laid out. Can you buy both tickets from one airline at the same time, even if the second flight is a code-share? Then getting you onto the second flight is their problem...

Air Canada and Swiss are code share partners, so this will be issued as one seamless ticket. It may well be that you don't have enough time to transfer and that you do in fact miss your connection, but that is absolutely not going to be your problem. If you can buy this as one ticket, that means it is a legal connection. And since there are so many flights between Zurich and Madrid, I would just go with it and hope for the best, knowing that if you miss your connection, the airlines will get you on the next available flight out.

And I would never check my backpack irrespective of how much change time I had.

Air Canada and Swiss are code share partners, so this will be issued as one seamless ticket. It may well be that you don't have enough time to transfer and that you do in fact miss your connection, but that is absolutely not going to be your problem. If you can buy this as one ticket, that means it is a legal connection. And since there are so many flights between Zurich and Madrid, I would just go with it and hope for the best, knowing that if you miss your connection, the airlines will get you on the next available flight out.

And I would never check my backpack irrespective of how much change time I had.
Thanks for this. It<s helpful advice.
How do you not check your backpack if you have liquids or are bringing a pocket knife or something similar in your pack? Is that not limiting?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for this. It<s helpful advice.
How do you not check your backpack if you have liquids or are bringing a pocket knife or something similar in your pack? Is that not limiting?

Well, Deapf, there are lots of threads on this topic, you should use the search function and see the wide range of advice. But I would say that most people would agree on the following -- bring liquids in small sizes, you don't want to lug huge bottle of shampoo, etc, anyway, and can easily refill or replace once walking. And the pocket knife can be bought in any city in Spain for 20-25 euros. For me that's a small price to pay for having the pack with me. 90% of the time there's no problem with checked luggage, and usually even if it's delayed it ultimately reaches you, but for people starting out on the Camino it would be a major headache. I always check it on the way home, when I don't really care when the pack arrives. Buen camino, Laurie

As it has already been said, if you have a single booking for all the route, if you miss your second flight due to a late arrival of your first one, the airline(s) will have to look for an alternative for you at no cost. Flights from Zürich to Madrid are frequent enough as to be likely to find a non-stop flight alternative on the same day.

If you can book it in a single booking that's because the transit time in Zürich is within the legal limits because otherwise it couldn't be sold to you. If I'm not wrong the minimum legal transit time between flights in Zürich airport is 40 minutes (In Vienna is even shorter, just 25 minutes!!!).

For estimated travel times between gates at Zúrich airport take a look at: www.swiss.com/ch/EN/fly/airport/zurich-airport#t-page=pane2

Both Air Canada and Swiss are part of Star Alliance and have agreements between them.

As it has already been said, if you have a single booking for all the route, if you miss your second flight due to a late arrival of your first one, the airline(s) will have to look for an alternative for you at no cost. Flights from Zürich to Madrid are frequent enough as to be likely to find a non-stop flight alternative on the same day.

If you can book it in a single booking that's because the transit time in Zürich is within the legal limits because otherwise it couldn't be sold to you. If I'm not wrong the minimum legal transit time between flights in Zürich airport is 40 minutes (In Vienna is even shorter, just 25 minutes!!!).

For estimated travel times between gates at Zúrich airport take a look at: www.swiss.com/ch/EN/fly/airport/zurich-airport#t-page=pane2

Both Air Canada and Swiss are part of Star Alliance and have agreements between them.

To which I would add that missing a flight even if insured as per above ... there are consequences for things like booked accommodations or transport on buses and trains. You want the connection to work reliably. Its almost as much a nuisance as if they diverted your bag to Moscow.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I love Zurich airport, although I'd probably choose a stopover because I love Zurich itself. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back