• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quick phone acces when wearing tights ...

Jenyat53

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
I am thinking of wearing Skins (tights) next Camino rather than my excellent hiking pants that have great leg pockets. I am interested in what others have used to allow quick access to phone (for photos) whilst walking. I would prefer to keep it attached to the front of my pack (rather than against my body core) but my Osprey Talon strap pocket is too small and the hip pocket too curvy.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wear a slim cross-body pouch with my valuables, and never take it off during the day. It is also attached to my hip belt with carabiners so that the weight doesn't drag on my neck, but I can release the carabiners when I want to remove my backpack. Diaper pins would work too.

Love that carabiner idea so it doesn't drag on your neck.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here is my pouch which I made to exactly hold my guide book, cell phone in its protective case (leashed with the grey cord), daily cash, pen/pencil, credential and sunglasses. It is about 6" by 9" and no depth when empty. There are little loops at the top that I put the carabiners through. People have said I should sell them, but I would have to charge about $1000 for the time I put into it! Any takers?:p

One of the photos show how I had to assemble several layers to create all the zippered pockets on the front and back.

This is totally over the top as far as camino planning goes. It. Is. Not. Necessary. :eek: However, I get creative satisfaction from it, and this sort of project probably keeps my brain cells alive.

Attachments

• 20160918_094608.jpg
    20160918_094608.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 212
  • 20160920_145636.jpg
    20160920_145636.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 214
  • 20160920_145755.jpg
    20160920_145755.jpg
    732.4 KB · Views: 194
I am thinking of wearing Skins (tights) next Camino rather than my excellent hiking pants that have great leg pockets. I am interested in what others have used to allow quick access to phone (for photos) whilst walking. I would prefer to keep it attached to the front of my pack (rather than against my body core) but my Osprey Talon strap pocket is too small and the hip pocket too curvy.
Fanny pack, bum bag, hip bag, belly bag...one in the same!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here is my pouch which I made to exactly hold my guide book, cell phone in its protective case (leashed with the grey cord), daily cash, pen/pencil, credential and sunglasses. It is about 6" by 9" and no depth when empty. There are little loops at the top that I put the carabiners through. People have said I should sell them, but I would have to charge about $1000 for the time I put into it! Any takers?:p

One of the photos show how I had to assemble several layers to create all the zippered pockets on the front and back.

This is totally over the top as far as camino planning goes. It. Is. Not. Necessary. :eek: However, I get creative satisfaction from it, and this sort of project probably keeps my brain cells alive.
Very nice

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Very nice. I like it a lot and I don't doubt the time involved.

Try searching motorcycle gear, there are a number of pouches made of rip stop nylon that have straps that will go over the hip belt. Our new Osprey Kestrels come with hip strap pouches already on them, love that feature.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have one of these babies coming :) I will be wearing exercise pants as no hiking pants will fit so I wanted access to camera ect as well. I tried a bum bag but it annoyed me so tracked down the zpack attachment.

What brand of pack are you using it on?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

How about this very light-weight carrier attached to your shoulder or hip strap?

http://www.outdoors-online.uk.com/p...-15ZQeE_jaEtS2huyRyQo9VearsNwzNhEgaAvj28P8HAQ

Buen (phone-accessible) Camino

I used a clear plastic pouch with a cross body strap. It's designed to be a waterproof pouch for a large phone, so it fit my iPhone and headphones nicely. It kept my phone easily accessible for taking photos or playing music. It's similar to the one in the link below, but I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods (I think) for maybe $10.
Good luck on your search!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015N3GKWU/?tag=casaivar02-20

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Jenyat53 , you could check into this. It says it will fit almost any pack.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/shoulderpouch.shtml

Many thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions. C clearly I particularly like your home made number. Very fine indeed. :). I will compare and select. Thanks again to all

I used a waist pack

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Eve. I have infact just ordered a similar item
https://hipssister.com/fashion/left-coast-sister.html
Looks like it may be less intrusive but will be interesting to see how it sits with waist belt of pack. :)

Very cool! You can wear them higher or lower, whatever feels good. I like mine where low rise jeans would sit when I'm running. It makes for easy phone access. But you could totally wear it at the belly button height too, since that would be above the pack belt.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Love my airy,easy dry hiking pants with deep pockets but also use calf compression skins which have stopped me having shinsplints on last few Caminos. Personally couldn't bear walking all day in tights.
Seems to be the new thing though..

I
Love my airy,easy dry hiking pants with deep pockets but also use calf compression skins which have stopped me having shinsplints on last few Caminos. Personally couldn't bear walking all day in tights.
Seems to be the new thing though..

I thought that they would be awful but I recently did a 35 km walk in 30 degree heat and loved them. The capacity to sprinkle them with water in the worst of the heat & cool by evaporation was wonderful. It also felt less cluttered than the hiking pants and calf skins which I wore last year. But it's a hard call because like you I love my ancient large pocketed hiking pants !

I have one of these babies coming :) I will be wearing exercise pants as no hiking pants will fit so I wanted access to camera ect as well. I tried a bum bag but it annoyed me so tracked down the zpack attachment.

Same idea, same manufacturer, but different product, I used the Z-Packs chest pack last year for my CP. It was perfect, and I loved the quick and simple way it unclipped and converted to a waist or cross body bag without having to remove anything from it.
Here:http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Same idea, same manufacturer, but different product, I used the Z-Packs chest pack last year for my CP. It was perfect, and I loved the quick and simple way it unclipped and converted to a waist or cross body bag without having to remove anything from it.
Here:http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml

I have one of those but haven't tried it yet. Guess I'd better get with it. Do you secure yours at 4 points when wearing on your chest?

I have one of those but haven't tried it yet. Guess I'd better get with it. Do you secure yours at 4 points when wearing on your chest?
Yes.

The kit provides 2 short straps that you connect to an attachment point essentially where your shoulder harness connects to your pack body. The two clips on the top of the bag connect there and suspend the bag. You can adjust how high or low on your chest you prefer it to hang.

I clipped the two long straps together and put them on my chest, but behind the pack straps, then ran the other ends to the bottom clip points of the bag. Those straps, too, are adjustable.

I liked the way you can cinch everything in so you get no swing from the bag while walking, either side to side or back to front. It's nice to have all you essential gear right there when you pull into a bar/tavern for a quick cafe' con leche and fresh orange juice or whatever, or want to pull out your credential for a stamp, or pull your day wallet to pay. If I stopped and would be taking my back pack off, I'd just first un-clip one side of the bottom straps, then the top strap to the bag on that same side, then the pack's chest strap and waist belt and shuck off the pack as usual, leaving the bag attached to the pack on one side. If I was planning to wander around while my pack was being watched, it was easy to just un-clip the bag entirely and clip the long straps to the top clip points of the bag for use as a waist or cross body bag. Here's a photo of it in use. IMG_3553.JPG

Last edited:

€83,-
I'm wearing my old Jansport "fanny pack" (w the pouch in the front) so i have my phone/camera and all valuables on me at all times.

:) A leather-bag around the neck

Pat used an Otterbox phone holder this year. It worked really well.
It has a large / strong clip, so can be worn anywhere.
She cliped it onto the hipbelt of her pack.
Easy to take the phone on/off the holder. Just one catch.
I was concerned at the weight, about 100 gms I think. But well worth it.
I'll use it on my next Camino!
https://www.otterbox.com.au/apple-i...one-8-plus/defender-series-case/77-56825.html

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wear a slim cross-body pouch with my valuables, and never take it off during the day. It is also attached to my hip belt with carabiners so that the weight doesn't drag on my neck, but I can release the carabiners when I want to remove my backpack. Diaper pins would work too.
Oh! This is great! I wear a crossbody too, for the same reasons, but never thought of carabineers to my pack to alleviate weight!!! What a great idea!!!

Work of art :cool:

I used a clear plastic pouch with a cross body strap. It's designed to be a waterproof pouch for a large phone, so it fit my iPhone and headphones nicely. It kept my phone easily accessible for taking photos or playing music. It's similar to the one in the link below, but I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods (I think) for maybe $10.
Good luck on your search!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015N3GKWU/?tag=casaivar02-20
I have that one as well, and can be used in the rain, through the clear plastic. We actually use in in the pool

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used this waist bag on my recent Camino and loved, loved it! The newer large phones fit great in the middle zippered area and I whipped my phone out for picture taking in a quick second! Important papers, cash, sunglasses, readers, etc. all fit in the larger back zipper. There is even a concealed zipper inside which is a perfect size for hiding passport and extra cash/credit cards. The water bottle holder on front was very convenient, too. I highly recommend!Screenshot_2018-04-10-19-00-14.jpg

Got to ask - why would you even want quick phone access?? I thought the idea was to try and leave your real world behind?? Just askin'?

Got to ask - why would you even want quick phone access?? I thought the idea was to try and leave your real world behind?? Just askin'?
Because I take many, many photos as I walk, so I prefer not to have to fumble around getting my phone/camera out each time. I have 1800 photos from walking the Le Puy route last month.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I realise it's bigger than a phone, but I have my camera bag caribeenered to the waist strap of my backpack. It came in handy for storage of my reading glasses and sunscreen too.

I wear cargo pants, so this is never a problem, but to the OP, i would say if your phone doesnt fit in your backpack hipbelt pockets, the next best solution would be attaching it to your shoulder strap. There are many pockets/cases on the market that can hold your iphone while it’s attached to the shoulder strap. Easy access. Bien Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Small bag for passport from ong flights, bag that hangs from your neck like neckless

For mere mortals with fewer creative brain cells than @C clearly, Eddie Bauer sells something very similar (but made with much less love and attention)

I used an old Nikon camera bag for years, and now a simple leather handbag with a long strap. Once I have my pack on my back and adjusted, I just put the bag over my head and my arms through the straps. The weight is carried on my shoulders, my things are right at waist level when I need them. I might look like a traveling gypsy caravan, but wth. Nobody is looking at ME..!

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I loved my cwx compression tights on Camino and used front packs for all my gear , but now I am awaiting the arrival of compression merino tights ..with pockets that fit phones on the outer thigh. Lots of tights are now made with these. i also have firm fitting hiking tights which are heavier in weight and less compressive overall. https://iomerino.com/collections/shop/products/pace-compression-leggings

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.