• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quick Question about the Stamps

Warge

Time of past OR future Camino
Future november
Hello, I am within the 100km now.

Question it says is i need 2 stamps a day.

So lets say i walk to A for thr night. I stamp at A. Now next morning, before I leave, I have to stamp at A again, and then walk to B. When I get to B, i stamp B. And when i leave the next day, I stamp B in the morning.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well you could certainly do that, but where is the fun? In the last 100 km before Santiago, virtually every cafe, bar, hotel, church, shop, or tourism location will have a stamp available. Most people set off in the morning and collect a stamp during the day from somewhere they stopped in to have a look or get a refreshment. The second stamp for the day comes from their albergue for the night. Some collect several more per day, as they are a record of the trip, and the credential ends up being very full and colorful.

So lets say i walk to A for thr night. I stamp at A. Now next morning, before I leave, I have to stamp at A again, and then walk to B. When I get to B, i stamp B. And when i leave the next day, I stamp B in the morning.
And? Where is your question?

If your question is: Will this get me a Compostela, then the answer is No.

You don't have to stamp at A again in the morning if you got a stamp at A in the evening. One stamp only at your place of accommodation and a date to go with it. How you organise your dates, whether you pick the date of the evening of arrival or the date of the morning of departure is up to you.

The whole purpose of the 2-stamps-a-day system is to make it credible that you walked the 100 km to Santiago.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The purpose of two stamps per day is to show that you walked the entire distance each day, and didn't use a bus or taxi. Therefore your second stamp (or first) of the day needs to be from somewhere other than where you slept. Usually where you had lunch, a coffee, vetc.

With all respect but you seem to be overthinking this a bit. Like @Rick M says it will be so easy to collect multiple stamps these last hundred k. Bars, albergues, restaurants..even bakeries and pharmacies have a sello.
Please buy / consume something too out of politeness!

Last edited:
The purpose of two stamps per day is to show that you walked the entire distance each day, and didn't use a bus or taxi. Therefore your second stamp (or first) of the day needs to be from somewhere other than where you slept. Usually where you had lunch, a coffee, vetc.

So it needs to be from a different town? Because i just walk. I dont eat lunch. I eat dinner in the same town as my accommodattion?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Surely you pass places as you walk. Shops, churches, gas stations ie everbody in business has a stamp. Just stop and ask.
Years ago in easier, happier times when walking in winter gas station owners loved to chat and, of course, had a commercial stamp to add to the Credential.
Good luck and Carpe diem!

So it needs to be from a different town?
The rules are not so explicit as this. If you stamp twice from the same place you could then try to argue at the Pilgrim Office about the technicalities. Since that is probably not your wish, I recommend that you make a point of finding a second different stamp somewhere during the day, even if it is in the same town as you sleep. The Pilgrim Office is not likely to study the stamps, locate them on a map, and then quiz you about your day. As others have said, the stamps are simply a required way to support your claim that you have walked the last 100 km.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Why would you want to waste your limited space on a stamp that you already have? When yo get home you will get great pleasure looking at all the different stamps. I would suggest that you try got get 5 a day in the last 100K. it will be easy and fun. Buen Camino

Hello, I was under the impression that you only need two stamps per day if you are only walking the past 100km, however, if you have walked the Camino from the beginning ie: Camino Frances from SJPdP to Santiago, one stamp fee day is sufficient.
When I walked the Frances with my son, Donald, in 2018, it became a daily challenge to see who managed to get the most interesting stamp of the day. One of my most memorable stamps was of a lemon from a little boy selling fresh lemonade from a wee trolley outside his house😄💞👣

Hello, I was under the impression that you only need two stamps per day if you are only walking the past 100km, however, if you have walked the Camino from the beginning ie: Camino Frances from SJPdP to Santiago, one stamp fee day is sufficient.
There may have been some tolerance exercised by the PO in times past. Recent accounts suggest the 2 stamp rule is fairly rigorously applied. Remember, the Compostella is not awarded for walking from Ultima Thule it s awarded for walking 100km into Santiago, on a recognized Camino route, evidenced by a minimum of two stamps per day. Oh, and look pious when you get there...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Talking of stamps, I have just today received my Holy Year passport for VDLP next year 😀. In bold letters it says that two stamps are required per day to validate the journey. Is this something new?

Getting stamps is so easy! Every bar, cafe, Albergue or even church has it… my friends and I have had no problems filling out our passports. As a matter of fact, on the last stretch we all had 5 spaces left and we didn’t want to leave any blank… we easily filled them in walking from Pedrouzo to Santiago by stopping by few of many more cafes opened at early morning hours… you get a coffee here and Santiago cake there and water there… it adds up and once one is stamping, so are all… you will do fine! Enjoy the camino… don’t rush… and stamp away until you get to the finish line! PS. Leave one blank for the pilgrims office stamp :) Ohh and don’t miss the 100km stamp (I did sadly)… Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nope. It's been the rule for a long time. Like the one about "Religious reasons... or at least in a sense of search".
Interestingly enough, I was not asked by the clerk what my reasons were - perhaps it is now filled out in the online questionnaire that we have to fill out before getting the Compostela. I truly don’t remember, but I definitely wasn’t asked about it by the clerk…

Talking of stamps, I have just today received my Holy Year passport for VDLP next year 😀. In bold letters it says that two stamps are required per day to validate the journey. Is this something new?
From many other posts, no, it is not new. However, I have understood that it (the two stamps per day requirement) relates only to the final 100km for pilgrims arriving on foot.

From many other posts, no, it is not new. However, I have understood that it (the two stamps per day requirement) relates only to the final 100km for pilgrims arriving on foot.
I understood that was the case too! When I did the Francés, I only got one stamp/day until Sarria when I got two per day.

So it needs to be from a different town? Because i just walk. I dont eat lunch. I eat dinner in the same town as my accommodattion?
Oh well.
It's the rule.
Just do it.
There are tons of places along the route to stop and get a stamp.
If it's too much for you, then do not expect the Compostela.

Here's the rules on stamps from the Pilgrims Office:

You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

After the first 5 kilometers in the morning is the perfect time to stop for a stamp and a café con leche.

It says a lot about my eating and drinking habits as I filled out 3 passports on the CF. Whilst I treated the Camino as a walk rather than a pilgrimage it would have lost a lot of the enjoyment if I hadn't stopped for some sort of refreshment and a chat along "The Way" and stamped my passport! The stamps were a good reminder of the days' events as I filled out my journal in the evening.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To prospective pilgrims out there, do not give to much time and thought, and certainly concern or worry about getting credentials stamped. Mind you, I'm talking about pre-covid Caminos I have walked, but there was an ample opportunity on the Camino, Frances in particular, to have my credentials stamped. Once, twice, thrice and more if I wanted everyday. The last time I walked, a combination of Caminos Portugues, Fisterre and Frances I filled up three sets of credentials without even really trying. Albergues, bars, cafes, shoppes, churches. Even the occasional person simply setting up a table outside and stamping credentials with their own personal sello lol. Sometimes a sello outside a place and you self serve stamp.
Give it no concern and if it does worry one that much (why?), carry two sets of credentials (they're only two euros each) and get two stamps everyday all the way to Santiago. Not just from Sarria. It's easy peasy folks.

I enjoyed collecting the stamps as each one is individual and reminds you of a certain point in time during the walk. great to look back on.

When I walked the Frances with my son, Donald, in 2018, it became a daily challenge to see who managed to get the most interesting stamp of the day. One of my most memorable stamps was of a lemon from a little boy selling fresh lemonade from a wee trolley outside his house😄💞👣
I love this! I will try to be open-minded about where to collect my daily stamp.

Hi; Me and a couple friends just completed the Portuguesa Camino, and diligently got stamps each day (2 each day when within 100K), and filled out the form to get our QR code the last night before getting to Santiago. When we went to get our certificate, no-one scanned our QR code, and no-one looked at our stamps, they just opened to first page to get our name, wrote it on the certificate, and sent us on our way. Seemed strange based on everything I have been reading here on these forums. Anyways, just an observation on our experience. The Camino was great, we started coastal, cut across to Valenca, did the Spiritual Variant, took the boat to Padron, and finished into Santiago. Great trip!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.