• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quick question

• Thread starter Deleted member 36084
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36084

Do you have to walk the full camino to receive a compostela at muxia and finisterre my auntie wants to meet me at Santiago to walk to the coast

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
No you need not walk the full camino. All you need to do is walk from SdC to Finisterre and or Muxia to receive their special certificates.
But it's not the Compostela. It's their own certificate. To get the Compostela you have to walk the last 100km and have 2 stamps per day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But it's not the Compostela. It's their own certificate. To get the Compostela you have to walk the last 100km and have 2 stamps per day.

Neither the walk to Finisterre nor Muxia is accepted for a Compostela in SdC. However if from SdC you walk to either Finisterre and/or Muxia each place will issue their own special certificate as I mentioned above.

In SdC the Galician Tourist Office,
Rúa do Vilar, 30-32, can provide a special Credential for walking to Finistere/Muxia as well as handy lists of all services along the way.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
To clarify just a tad... The Pilgrim Office, a part of the Cathedral bureaucracy only issues Compostelas to pilgrims who can document that they walked at least the FINAL 100 km or 200 km if on a bicycle, INTO SANTIAGO.

Consider that, since about the year 850 AD (mas o menas), the object of the Camino de Santiago is to arrive at Santiago, originally to venerate (NOT worship) the remains of the Apostle of Jesus Christ, St. James the Greater, entombed beneath the great altar in the Cathedral. So, Santiago de Compostela is the final destination, as regards obtaining a Compostela, not a point along the way.

Given the circumstances offered in the OP, the journey needs to be in the other direction, and at least 100 Km on a pilgrim route, to qualify for a Compostela. In addition , during those final 100 km, the pilgrim must obtain TWO SELLOS (stamps) daily in their pilgrim credential. Farther out, beyond the 100 km limit set by the Church, one sello daily is adequate.

I hope this helps.

Oki doki...no problem. My clarification still holds as regards the Cathedral documenting successful completion of a pilgrimage TO Santiago.

But, what one can obtain on completing a trek FROM Santiago to Finisterre or to Muxia is a "Finisterrana," or a "Muxiana." (Please excuse my spelling if I got it wrong). Neither is a Compostela, per se, in terms of religious connotation or use. However, they do help document the accomplishment.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Didn't know you could get anything in Finisterre or Muxia. So thank you so much for the info. Love this site. I always learn so much. I am just trying to decide which of them to go to nowo_O

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.