A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

LIVE from the Camino Quiet days on the Camino Frances

Camino(s) past & future
First 2016
Latest Camino Frances Jul-Aug 2020
I am currently in Punta la Reina after four stages of walking having started in St Jean on Tuesday.

The precautions are pretty much as expected with mask wearing in enclosed spaces and frequent use of hand sanitiser. People are careful to clean surfaces in restaurants etc although these and bars seem to be the exception when it comes to wearing masks.

Masks must be worn outside when in a town or village. This seems to be being followed by just about everybody.

The albergues at Roncesvalles And Zubiri were operating at half capacity. I stayed in a hotel in Pamplona and am in an albergue now with only two people so distancing is not a problem.

There were c40 pilgrims at Roncesvalles and the hospitaleros said numbers had fluctuated wildly with some days up to 100. There have been no real sign of many people starting in Pamplona.

Jomas

Camino(s) past & future
VF many times. Monaco-Lindau '15. Assisi-Pietralcina '17. CF '18. VF small part 09/20 next
Hi @gns, thanks for your on live report.👍
I hope there is always common sense in people
a curiosity: how do you organize for dinner / meal in the evening?

buen camino!

Camino(s) past & future
First 2016
Hi @gns, thanks for your on live report.👍
I hope there is always common sense in people
a curiosity: how do you organize for dinner / meal in the evening?

buen camino!
There are not very many people and there are not really big group dinners. Where we have gathered in Zubiri and Roncesvalles it has been outside. I plan to avoid eating indoors if at all possible. During the day I wear a mask of buying a coffee in a bar. This is different from people sat outside at the tables who don’t usually wear masks.

I think the point about masks is as much about inculcating good habits with regard to preventing spread in general as the masks working in and of themselves.

Jomas

Camino(s) past & future
VF many times. Monaco-Lindau '15. Assisi-Pietralcina '17. CF '18. VF small part 09/20 next
Where we have gathered in Zubiri and Roncesvalles it has been outside. I plan to avoid eating indoors if at all possible. During the day I wear a mask of buying a coffee in a bar. This is different from people sat outside at the tables who don’t usually wear masks.
in theory (but I also think in practice) the common spaces inside the albergues are "armored" and therefore also the kitchen corners. So in concrete there is the only alternative of dinner out.
I was wondering if your dinner management plans to eat out in the restaurant / tavern or if you get food during the day and then find a place to eat it (even in company if there are prerogatives to maintain sanitary and hygienic precautions )?

Jomas

Camino(s) past & future
I think the point about masks is as much about inculcating good habits with regard to preventing spread in general as the masks working in and of themselves.
I'am agree with you 👌

Camino(s) past & future
"Camino from 2013 to 2019" paused for now...
I am currently in Punta la Reina after four stages of walking having started in St Jean on Tuesday.

The precautions are pretty much as expected with mask wearing in enclosed spaces and frequent use of hand sanitiser. People are careful to clean surfaces in restaurants etc although these and bars seem to be the exception when it comes to wearing masks.

Masks must be worn outside when in a town or village. This seems to be being followed by just about everybody.

The albergues at Roncesvalles And Zubiri were operating at half capacity. I stayed in a hotel in Pamplona and am in an albergue now with only two people so distancing is not a problem.

There were c40 pilgrims at Roncesvalles and the hospitaleros said numbers had fluctuated wildly with some days up to 100. There have been no real sign of many people starting in Pamplona.
Thanks for the updates...

Camino(s) past & future
First 2016
in theory (but I also think in practice) the common spaces inside the albergues are "armored" and therefore also the kitchen corners. So in concrete there is the only alternative of dinner out.
I was wondering if your dinner management plans to eat out in the restaurant / tavern or if you get food during the day and then find a place to eat it (even in company if there are prerogatives to maintain sanitary and hygienic precautions )?
All cooking facilities In albergues have been closed so far. I am keen to support businesses along the way so plan to eat in restaurants.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?

Thanks for the updates.

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(10,11,17), Vasco(12), Salvador(13), CP(13), CN(14), Madrid (16), Mozarabe (18), VdlP(19)
All cooking facilities In albergues have been closed so far. I am keen to support businesses along the way so plan to eat in restaurants.

No issues finding accommodations?

Camino(s) past & future
First 2016
I am now in Logrono after another three stages. There seems to be little pressure on accommodation although there are still many places closed. There was plenty of space in Obanos and I was in a nearly empty albergue over the river in Punta La Reina.
The municipal albergue in Estella was closed but we walked on and stayed at the excellent San Cipriano in Ayegui. There were supermarkets nearby to provide food but again the kitchen was closed.

I stayed in a pension in Torres del Rio but there was enough space in the albergues there and shortly before in Samsol. I was happy to have a private room as the sun between Los Arcos and Samsol gave me a warning shot across the bows. A timely warning before the rigours ahead.

I am in albergue Albas in Logrono which is nice and as with everywhere else is at half capacity. Corona precautions remain as previously described.

I am starting to like the Camino Frances quite a lot more than I expected but I can’t imagine what it must be like in a normal year.

It is quite something to walk into an unprepossessing place like Viana and see the medieval architecture there.

Attachments

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock