• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Quiet from Lisbon

Phil71

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese (2014,2016),Primitivo (2015), San Salvador (2017), Norte (2018), Ingles (2018)
Hi all. Currently 8 days into my Camino, in a lovely hostel in Alvorge. In those 8 days I have seen 2 pilgrims. One was Steve who i think is on this forum?
Route from Lisbon to santarem is hard on the Feet, all tarmac or gravel. Then I walked to Fatima, also tarmac. Then rejoined the Camino in Tomar, my favourite place so far. Very quiet on the route, most shops etc are open, municipal albergues are not. Bom caminho

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I thought it was quiet in Lisbon because of the new lockdown 🤔
Delta is hatching in the UK and Portugal.

2eacecb7ff582dfb100018fce7f2e467.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all. Currently 8 days into my Camino, in a lovely hostel in Alvorge. In those 8 days I have seen 2 pilgrims. One was Steve who i think is on this forum?
Route from Lisbon to santarem is hard on the Feet, all tarmac or gravel. Then I walked to Fatima, also tarmac. Then rejoined the Camino in Tomar, my favourite place so far. Very quiet on the route, most shops etc are open, municipal albergues are not. Bom caminho
Same route to Tomar as I took in 2019. Took a cab from Fatima to Tomar. Route gets better as you go. Good luck.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Local reports here say 50% of reported infections are foreign tourists! Wonder if they'll close the borders again..... couldn't blame them
Sure is a Catch-22, isn't it? I am making no plans at this time, watching the progress carefully. Maybe once more of Europe gets vaccinated this Delta variant will be conquered. I hope so!

Hi Phil - great walking with you this morning. The time definitely flew by. As you say, most cafes etc seem open - except for today as it's Sunday. But it's definitely quiet out there - I had one dorm to myself last night and Ricardo from Barcelona had the other. So there are pros and cons. What I didn't anticipate was the change in weather/temperature - I'm glad I brought my fleece and waterproofs. Safe travels. Oh and Coimbra rivals Lisbon for its hills.

Cheers Steve, I love hills 😁. Yeah the miles flew by this morning, even though I was drenched. Weather should turn warmer again now I think. I stopped about 5km before Coimbra so can be a tourist tomorrow. Safe travels mate.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So a short 2 days from Alvorge to Coimbra so i could have time to see the city. Much better route, off the roads at last, hope it continues. Rained a lot but forecast is better. Coimbra is worth taking the time to see, but you still need your energy as it certainly is hilly! Old cathedral is the highlight for me.

So a short 2 days from Alvorge to Coimbra so i could have time to see the city. Much better route, off the roads at last, hope it continues. Rained a lot but forecast is better. Coimbra is worth taking the time to see, but you still need your energy as it certainly is hilly! Old cathedral is the highlight for me.
Are albergues asking for covid test certificates on daily basis
Portugal dodgy with Delta Variant

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Are albergues asking for covid test certificates on daily basis
Portugal dodgy with Delta Variant
I'm on day 11 from Lisbon to Porto and outside of the airport and airlines no one has asked to see my vacc cert or negative covid test. I presume they are relying on the fact that to get into Portugal I had to submit a negative test.

I'm on day 11 from Lisbon to Porto and outside of the airport and airlines no one has asked to see my vacc cert or negative covid test. I presume they are relying on the fact that to get into Portugal I had to submit a negative test.
This sounds pretty much like local Portuguese bureaucracy/lack thereof....

2 more days done. Coimbra to Agueda. 1st day was pretty good, some forest tracks, less tarmac. Note the alternative route out of Coimbra along the river is closed and looks like it will be for some time. Gronze says 2nd day to Agueda is the worst of all but I disagree. It wasn't great through the industrial estate but it was still better than any day between Lisbon and santarem. Only 3 days left, finish in Porto. Getting that sad end of Camino feel.....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This sounds pretty much like local Portuguese

2 more days done. Coimbra to Agueda. 1st day was pretty good, some forest tracks, less tarmac. Note the alternative route out of Coimbra along the river is closed and looks like it will be for some time. Gronze says 2nd day to Agueda is the worst of all but I disagree. It wasn't great through the industrial estate but it was still better than any day between Lisbon and santarem. Only 3 days left, finish in Porto. Getting that sad end of Camino feel.....
Time to start planning the next one (well once you've done your return to the UK covid test). Currently in Sao Jaoa - great town (and no outrageous hills). I walk to Porto tomorrow and then home on Friday. Was thinking of you today - there's a lot of road walking! Safe travels.

Hi Phil - great walking with you this morning. The time definitely flew by. As you say, most cafes etc seem open - except for today as it's Sunday. But it's definitely quiet out there - I had one dorm to myself last night and Ricardo from Barcelona had the other. So there are pros and cons. What I didn't anticipate was the change in weather/temperature - I'm glad I brought my fleece and waterproofs. Safe travels. Oh and Coimbra rivals Lisbon for its hills.
Nice to see that you are dealing with the quietness there what is specifically the waterproofs you refer too. I want to make sure i will have not too much weights but also don't freeze there not bringing enough. As that is easy for me. Im always cold.

Nice to see that you are dealing with the quietness there what is specifically the waterproofs you refer too. I want to make sure i will have not too much weights but also don't freeze there not bringing enough. As that is easy for me. Im always cold.
I pondered whether to bring my light weight over-jacket and over-trousers - but we had 2 days of intermittent rain so I'm glad I did. Same with my light weight fleece - we had a couple of evenings that weren't cold by UK standards but were definitely chilly. Rest of the time blue skies and warm with a few too hot for walking afternoons. Hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back