Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Quilt Recommendations

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Past OR future Camino
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
I cut the hood and zipper out of my very lightweight down bag.
Works great.
I think any down quilt would work. It's rather hot in those albergues, to me.

Past OR future Camino
On a similar theme:
Good day wonderful people, I’m wondering if I can leave my sleeping bag at home and just take a liner for my upcoming efforts on the CF at the end of the month and September?
Just trying to cut down weight vs cooler / cold nights.
Any pearls of wisdom greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in anticipation Bob’s

Past OR future Camino
I have one just like what trecile linked to above, and it’s perfect. I bought it at Costco a few years ago for quite a bit less, but recently they only sell them in 2-packs, so the one at Amazon is a good deal if you don’t want an extra. I don’t see them on the Costco website yet, but they will probably have them later in the fall.

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
On a similar theme:
Good day wonderful people, I’m wondering if I can leave my sleeping bag at home and just take a liner for my upcoming efforts on the CF at the end of the month and September?
Just trying to cut down weight vs cooler / cold nights.
Any pearls of wisdom greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in anticipation Bob’s
I would bring a quilt. It can get cold in September, especially in mountainous areas at night.

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Inglés 2009+2017, Francés 2012+2018, Astorga-Santiago repeatedly
I love my Sea to summit traveler tr1, can be zipped up like a bag, opened up like a quilt and everything in between. Not the cheapest but perfect for me. Also the Black Diamond, now Blue ridge above, but they can slip off the liner bag during the night, so some put it inside the liner to keep it in place.

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
I use a down quilt purchased at Costco some years ago. When I went to get a second one a few years later, they were no longer using down as the fill.

I sewed a ribbon to both sides at about just-below-knee level, so I can tie them together to ensure the quilt doesn’t slither off in the night.

You could cut the quilt down to a smaller size if you were handy and wanted to save a bit more in ounces.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
You could cut the quilt down to a smaller size if you were handy and wanted to save a bit more in ounces.
That's exactly what I have done for some fellow pilgrims.
I cut it in half to make it approx. 35" wide x 60" long. This tucks inside a silk liner and covers from neck down to toes.
First I sew a line of stitching about a quarter of an inch from one of the existing lines of stitching. Then I cut between the two lines. This helps to keep the down from escaping. I finish the edge with silk binding.
It ends up weighing about 8 ounces.

Last edited:

bobhilljax

Past OR future Camino
Enlightened Equipment synthetic quilt rated to about 50F. Friendly Swede liner, that zips on 2 sides. 718 grams about 25 ounces.

Attachments

• IMG-20210602-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210602-WA0003.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 12
Past OR future Camino
SJPP2Santiago completed (Sept.15, 2018).

motero99

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2019
Camino Norte (2020)
A person I met on the Camino Frances used the Costco down quilt. She installed snaps so she could also use it as a sleeping bag. I had a Rumpl quilt. It was very comfortable, but took up more space than I would have liked in my backpack.

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Camino Magnets

MichelleElynHogan

Veteran Member
I have just purchased one of these.

It consists of basically 1/2 of a sleeping bag. It can be worn as seen or use as a blanket head to toe. It can also replace a warm jacket, especially used as a warm layer under a poncho.

Remember, multiple uses from every component in your pack makes a happy Peregrina.

benny aumala

Past OR future Camino
may-june 2016
may-june (2019)
Or maybe this, use as a quilt. Works OK with me.

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Camino Magnets

AussieWayne

Walked Camino Francis April 2018 from SJPdP.
Past OR future Camino
Camino St JAMES from SJPdP April 2018.
Plan Camino Portuguese Sepl 2019
I have an Enlightened Equipment Revelation 40°. You can convert it to a mummy bag by zippering the footbox and cinching the end if needed. You may also consider a top quilt from HammockGear. I have an Incubator 20° for cold weather camping.
I agree - I used the Enlightened Equipment Revelation 40 on my Camino 3 years. Has to be one of the lightest on the market and was perfect for what I needed. Highly recommended.

MikeyC

Past OR future Camino
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
Kumano Kodo - October 2017
CF - 2019
We bought the Naturehike down sleeping bag which opens up to use as a throw. They come in 2 sizes.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads