• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quilt Recommendations

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I cut the hood and zipper out of my very lightweight down bag.
Works great.
I think any down quilt would work. It's rather hot in those albergues, to me.

On a similar theme:
Good day wonderful people, I’m wondering if I can leave my sleeping bag at home and just take a liner for my upcoming efforts on the CF at the end of the month and September?
Just trying to cut down weight vs cooler / cold nights.
Any pearls of wisdom greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in anticipation Bob’s

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have one just like what trecile linked to above, and it’s perfect. I bought it at Costco a few years ago for quite a bit less, but recently they only sell them in 2-packs, so the one at Amazon is a good deal if you don’t want an extra. I don’t see them on the Costco website yet, but they will probably have them later in the fall.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On a similar theme:
Good day wonderful people, I’m wondering if I can leave my sleeping bag at home and just take a liner for my upcoming efforts on the CF at the end of the month and September?
Just trying to cut down weight vs cooler / cold nights.
Any pearls of wisdom greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in anticipation Bob’s
I would bring a quilt. It can get cold in September, especially in mountainous areas at night.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use a down quilt purchased at Costco some years ago. When I went to get a second one a few years later, they were no longer using down as the fill.

I sewed a ribbon to both sides at about just-below-knee level, so I can tie them together to ensure the quilt doesn’t slither off in the night.

You could cut the quilt down to a smaller size if you were handy and wanted to save a bit more in ounces.

You could cut the quilt down to a smaller size if you were handy and wanted to save a bit more in ounces.
That's exactly what I have done for some fellow pilgrims.
I cut it in half to make it approx. 35" wide x 60" long. This tucks inside a silk liner and covers from neck down to toes.
First I sew a line of stitching about a quarter of an inch from one of the existing lines of stitching. Then I cut between the two lines. This helps to keep the down from escaping. I finish the edge with silk binding.
It ends up weighing about 8 ounces.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Enlightened Equipment synthetic quilt rated to about 50F. Friendly Swede liner, that zips on 2 sides. 718 grams about 25 ounces.

Attachments

• IMG-20210602-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210602-WA0003.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 21
A person I met on the Camino Frances used the Costco down quilt. She installed snaps so she could also use it as a sleeping bag. I had a Rumpl quilt. It was very comfortable, but took up more space than I would have liked in my backpack.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have just purchased one of these.

It consists of basically 1/2 of a sleeping bag. It can be worn as seen or use as a blanket head to toe. It can also replace a warm jacket, especially used as a warm layer under a poncho.

Remember, multiple uses from every component in your pack makes a happy Peregrina.

Make a zipper footbox for this:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Or maybe this, use as a quilt. Works OK with me.

I have an Enlightened Equipment Revelation 40°. You can convert it to a mummy bag by zippering the footbox and cinching the end if needed. You may also consider a top quilt from HammockGear. I have an Incubator 20° for cold weather camping.
I agree - I used the Enlightened Equipment Revelation 40 on my Camino 3 years. Has to be one of the lightest on the market and was perfect for what I needed. Highly recommended.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We bought the Naturehike down sleeping bag which opens up to use as a throw. They come in 2 sizes.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.