Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quiroga albergue

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, ribeirasacra,
Thanks for the news, unwelcome though it is. I ended a stage in Quiroga and had planned to stay in the albergue but just couldn't find anyone who could tell me how to locate the person in charge to open it up. I wound up in the very adequate Hostal Quiper, about a block away. Right above a bar/restaurante. The owner was very nice and left a thermos of boiling water outside my door when she closed up the bar at night. It was still plenty hot for a good cup of coffee before starting out on that LONG but beautiful stage from Quiroga to Monforte de Lemos.

I know the Invierno continues to be official-dom limbo, but I do hear from more people these days who are planning to walk from Ponferrada on the Invierno. I wonder if there are any accurate statistics about numbers and whether/how they have grown.

Keep on fighting for the Invierno! Hard to imagine a more wonderful stretch. Laurie

accommodation is so cheap in that town, I marveled at the existence of the albergue.
We took a look inside when we arrived. No one was there, it was neglected and dirty. We decided to stay in a hostal.
We later learned that pilgrims sometimes stay at the Red Cross office, on the far end of town. Best thing to do these days is ask in a bar, or track down a policeman.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for your replies. It does sound as if the trouble has been brewing along time. The company that ran this albergue is well known around here for running sports activities. Just wonder where that is going to end up. But that will not concern pilgrims.

ouch, that is a sad blow for budget pilgrims. that second part of invierno is really empty of albergues.

when I was there, there was a phone number on the door, as the manager just left for lunch but he came back in no time. it looked nice to me, I got a room for myself and disposable sheets.

I heard about some political-financial rivarly around the albergue while there, and about its financial difficulties, so it was bound to happen sooner or later, I suppose.

Just had another pilgrim stay with us.
His Spanish was not perfect, but said that there is some sort of legal notice on the door saying it was closed until further notice.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Ian,
I'm happy to hear that you've had some pilgrim traffic. Unfortunately, I'll bet the weather was not conducive to a leisurely wonderful dinner outside on your terrace drinking wine made from grapes whose vines I could see across the river and watching the moon come out.

Pilgrims, if you walk the Invierno, the Casa Santo Estevo is just a few steps off the Codos de Belesar trail down from the Diamondi church to the Minho River Bridge at Belesar. It's a wonderful place for some R&R! Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you for your kind comments.
No the weather has not been at all good.
We have had to to repair the supporting wall for the access path above the finca/terrace. It was on the verge of collapsing after the recent rain.
The day time temps are not so bad, hence in the photo the windows are open.

All is well now, well apart from the grass!

Attachments

• wall 4.jpg
    wall 4.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 552
Wow, that looks like you had to have some serious earth-moving done. Is the church next door ok?

This church is an unbelievable gem, both outside and in.

Attachments

• Santo Estevo.jpg
    Santo Estevo.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 494
  • Inside Santo Estevo.jpg
    Inside Santo Estevo.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 502
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes that is ok. "our man " said the wall was not well built, but it must have lasted over 40 years if not longer.
No sun to make the "rainbows" inside the church at the moment :(

I agree, San Esteban de Ribas de Miño is an original romanic church situated near Belesar in the Riveira Sacra river, similar that the Portomarìn church.
In this surroundings there are another alternatives to lodge. If you chose the CAMINO DE INVIERNO A COMPOSTELA POR OSEIRA to avoid the Faro Mountains, you can use the splendid Hostal Altamira (20 Kms. to Oseira or 6 Kms. from San Pedro de Líncora). it’s a good place to finish and initiate stage, which offers rooms and food, with very good relation quality - price:
Hostal Altamira
Carretera de Orense
Pereira (Chantada)
Teléfono: 982441612
To more information about it and the CAMINO DE INVIERNO A COMPOSTELA POR OSEIRA , you can visit my page:

eirexe.es

I have contacted the poster regarding multiple posts promoting his hostal and am waiting a reply on which one he wants to stay and which ones we shoud delete.

Last edited by a moderator:
The faded phone numbers are still posted. Lights were on in hallway recently although not much sign of life. A lady entering with key indicated I should call numbers for further information. Hostal Quiper, as mentioned by other posters, further up the street was easier. Pleasant welcome, clean room, door opening to outdoor area for boots and clothes line. There's a Dia a few doors before it. Supermarket Familia below square. I would recommend Hostal Quiper and would stay here again without hesitation. It's on the route.
Calle Real 62
Quiroga
hquiper@hotmail.com
982428451 / 676110961

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back