Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quiroga to Monforte in two days

andonius

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, Portugues, Norte, Primitivo, Aragones, Baztan, Sanabres, Finisterre
I'll be on the Invierno on August and I'm planning to split the long Quiroga to Monforte stage in two days.
First fom Quiroga to Castroncelos and diverting 3,5 km to Salcedo (Total : 25 Km) to make overnight at Hotel O Forno and second day from Salcedo directly to Pobra de Brollon and then Monforte (total: 18 Km).

I would like to know if some of the experts in Camino de Invierno has made this option and what do you think about it.

Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll be splitting that stage in two days as well, but stopping at Barxa de Lor at the Pension Pacita.
Quiroga to Barxa de Lor (15.4 km)
Barxa de Lor to Monforte (20 km)
Your planned route looks like an interesting option as well!

I stayed in Salcedo last year. Jose Luís will pick you up (free of charge) from Castroncelos or A Pobra do Brollón, and take you back there the following morning. Here's the link:

http://www.turismoruralensalcedo.net/camino2.html

It's such a shame that the Pensión As Viñas in A Pobra do Brollón closed down, as it was a marvellous place to stop off. I stayed there quite a few times.

I always stop off for a cold drink (or several) in Pensión Pacita, just along the river after you cross the bridge in Barxa de Lor, but I've never actually stayed there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I agree that it is really a shame that the Pensión As Viñas has closed. Kinky and Charrito have shared many great stories about their time there. I suppose it is unrealistic to think someone else will take it over.

The ayuntamiento in Pobra de Brollón has undertaken a project to convert the former Guardia Civil Barracks (now empty and right on the camino as you exit town) into an albergue.

I wrote to the ayuntamiento to ask about summer accommodations and have learned that the town is still moving forward with the albergue plan but it is not ready for prime time yet. In the meantime, accommodation will be available in the polideportivo for another summer season.

So, peregrinos is you don’t want to walk the 35 km between Quiroga and Monforte, there is an on-camino option in the middle, but it involves a polideportivo. Not sure about how that went last summer, did any forum members actually stay there?

Buen camino, Laurie

The ayuntamiento in Pobra de Brollón has undertaken a project to convert the former Guardia Civil Barracks (now empty and right on the camino as you exit town) into an albergue.

I wrote to the ayuntamiento to ask about summer accommodations and have learned that the town is still moving forward with the albergue plan but it is not ready for prime time yet. In the meantime, accommodation will be available in the polideportivo for another summer season.

It's a bit like the polideportivo in Quiroga. If you're lucky you'll have it all to yourself, but if you coincide with a group of boisterous Spanish teenagers you are going to have to put up with lots of noise and running around all evening and night!

A Pobra do Brollón is a pretty little town, with a lovely river area for swimming, but if there's no decent accommodation I personally would opt for Pensión Pacita or the casa rural/hotel in Salcedo.

Laurie: I think I should put in an offer for the Pensión As Viñas! Just thinking out loud, but it's something I would love to do!

I have got as far as Pobra de Brollon in planning my camino for this fall. I am relieved that the polideportivo will still be available this summer, but has anyone on the forum stayed there? Is it likely to be available on Nov. 1, when I expect to be passing through? The 35 km through to Montforte de Lemos is further than I have ever walked in a day and I would rather not attempt it.
Yes, I agree that it is really a shame that the Pensión As Viñas has closed. Kinky and Charrito have shared many great stories about their time there. I suppose it is unrealistic to think someone else will take it over.

So, peregrinos is you don’t want to walk the 35 km between Quiroga and Monforte, there is an on-camino option in the middle, but it involves a polideportivo. Not sure about how that went last summer, did any forum members actually stay there?

Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie,
I am planning on staying in the polideportivo in the fall, as i prefer just about any option to trying to walk 35 km in one day. I have stayed in a polideportivo on the VdlP and found it reasonably comfortable. Hopefully, this will be the same. I will let you know.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Laurie: I think I should put in an offer for the Pensión As Viñas! Just thinking out loud, but it's something I would love to do!
Go @Charrito , go!
So if I understand correctly, the options there are now Pension Pacita or the polideportivo?

Sad...Asun's albergue in A Rua is no longer open, nor is Pension As Viñas.
You snooze, you lose. :(

Go @Charrito , go!
So if I understand correctly, the options there are now Pension Pacita or the polideportivo?

Sad...Asun's albergue in A Rua is no longer open, nor is Pension As Viñas.
You snooze, you lose. :(
Check out my post from May 21:

I stayed in Salcedo last year. Jose Luís will pick you up (free of charge) from Castroncelos or A Pobra do Brollón, and take you back there the following morning. Here's the link:

http://www.turismoruralensalcedo.net/camino2.html

It's such a shame that the Pensión As Viñas in A Pobra do Brollón closed down, as it was a marvellous place to stop off. I stayed there quite a few times.

I always stop off for a cold drink (or several) in Pensión Pacita, just along the river after you cross the bridge in Barxa de Lor, but I've never actually stayed there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks, @Charrito , I did see that. It sounds lovely. But I want to stay where I can easily walk to.
It's interesting. I have very few rules for my caminos, but one that feels necessary for me is that the walking be continuous: starting each day from where I finished the day before without taking transit between. I did make an exception for a bus to San Juan de la Pena, as I really wanted to go there and could not make a good plan to walk.

Thanks, @Charrito , I did see that. It sounds lovely. But I want to stay where I can easily walk to.
The walk from Quiroga to Barxa do Lor, where Pensión Pacita is (just along the river) will not take you that long. Last year Juanjo and I walked it in just over three hours, even with a 15-minute stop by the fountain at Carballo do Lor.

If you stop for a drink or food at Pensión Pacita, you just need to walk on to Castroncelos (a couple of steep uphill bits), but José Luis will pick you up there and take you to his place in Salcedo. The next day he'll transport you back there and you can carry on to Monforte de Lemos. The transport is free, and you don't miss a single inch of the camino!

I don't know what the story behind closing As Vinas in APdB is but in 2014 both owners seems pretty healthy to me. I think I remember that they wanted to pass the business over to their son but the next news were about closing it. With equipped rooms, kitchen, bar, patio, everything. You just don't throw that away nowadays. Or at least try to rent it. Strange nothing really happened in those directions...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't know what the story behind closing As Vinas in APdB is but in 2014 both owners seems pretty healthy to me. I think I remember that they wanted to pass the business over to their son but the next news were about closing it. With equipped rooms, kitchen, bar, patio, everything. You just don't throw that away nowadays. Or at least try to rent it. Strange nothing really happened in those directions...
Bruno (one of the sons) didn't fancy taking it over. As you say, though, it had (HAS) everything, and was also where all the locals went for their lottery tickets. I reckon you and I should take it over and become bohemian hospitaleros in A Pobra! Up for it?

Bruno (one of the sons) didn't fancy taking it over. As you say, though, it had (HAS) everything, and was also where all the locals went for their lottery tickets. I reckon you and I should take it over and become bohemian hospitaleros in A Pobra! Up for it?
Definitely up for it. But I can't invest anything except my ironing/dish-washing/cleaning/cooking etc. skills :D

OK, I can also change a light bulb and I don't need three guys to turn the ladder in the right direction for me ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As Vinas in A Pobra could be something like Me Gusta Comer in Rionegro del Puente. Also the villages are kind of similar both having nice swimming area on the river.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I could offer my cooking and washing capacity for free for some weeks each season.🤗

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just so you let the rest of us know what you decide to do in the end, please... ;)
If there will be a football loving hippy commune (definitely not a safe haven for AA ;) ) at As Vinas the word will spread out without a doubt, hahaha.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You guys'll need hospis who can take custody of the car keys, after all.. .
;) 😊
Just a thought! We're driving up from Salamanca to Monforte de Lemos on Sunday morning, and will almost certainly stop off in Pensión Pacita for lunch (our first option was the fantastic Casa Aroza in Quiroga, but it's closed on Sundays).

If you're there around that time you'll get a free meal from me (and, if necessary, we'll drive you on to Monforte). That's a promise!

By the way, if/when you stop in Quiroga, then Casa Aroza is a MUST for lunch, evening meal or enormous pinchos/tapas. Read what peregrina2000 and I say about it. I must have eaten there a dozen times and it's great! Just over the road (and 80 yards up the other side) from Hostal Quiper on the main drag.

Quitoga tomorow, Friday night. Casa Aroza it is! Yum yum.
will almost certainly stop off in Pensión Pacita for lunch
Wow.
I will likely stay there Saturday night, unless I feel strong and want to keep going to Monforte. So the loose plan is to walk to Monforte Sunday and spend the night there. Maybe in Monforte???
I have made a booking for Torre Vilariño for Monday night.
Somehow, this might work! A round or meal on me, somewhere? 😊 😊
Your posts have been inspiring and so useful, so there is much to be thankful to you for...

Quitoga tomorow, Friday night. Casa Aroza it is! Yum yum.

Wow.
I will likely stay there Saturday night, unless I feel strong and want to keep going to Monforte. So the loose plan is to walk to Monforte Sunday and spend the night there. Maybe in Monforte???
I have made a booking for Torre Vilariño for Monday night.
Somehow, this might work! A round or meal on me, somewhere? 😊 😊
Your posts have been inspiring and so useful, so there is much to be thankful to you for...
Right, we'll catch up with you in Monforte some time on Sunday afternoon/evening. We're staying in the Condes de Lemos, next to the station, as we need to leave the car there and it's much easier to park than in the centre.

We'll be down in the centre of Monforte to have a few drinks and pinchos in the early evening. I'll pm you later.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back