• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quit again. Maybe for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeganCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Frances from Saint Jean Pied du Port to Burgos, starting in June.
So I'm on a hot, crowded bus to Ovideo instead of walking in the cool, crisp air looking at scenery that looks like a Celtic dream. I walked from Comillas to San Vicente today. Only my third day on the Norte. My shoes have worn out and this town looks too small to have a shoe store. I walked all over town in my flip flips but they are falling apart too.

Heading to Oviedo. To re-group or something. This scenery is beautiful and I'm finding the Norte hard. I keep losing the path and I rarely see other pilgrims. All the churches are closed.

Is there an app that follows the Norte? A luggage transfer service here? I can't find one.

I know in my heart it feels sad to be leaving and beyond the shoes this has been so hard. I've never traveled anywhere where I've struggled like this. I don't speak the language. No problem in Mexico. Grande problema aqui.

I'm also vegan and really really struggling to find food. Another banana for dinner tonight.

Not sure what to do now but I'll feel sad not to try again. Not sure if Norte or Frances or Portuguese is best for try number three.

Or... Fly to Greece and say screw this, it's been really hard. I thought the walk would be hard but I'm finding being in Spain hard. Nothing is ever open and info online is often incorrect, and you can't eat dinner until sometimes 9:30 pm. I just can't seem to get on that schedule.

I felt like this adventure picked me and now I don't know what will be a decent balance of respecting my body's needs and also being on an adventure and open to new things. I don't want to leave Spain and just think Spain sucks. But so far it has, if I'm honest.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks community.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am sorry to hear that you have problems.

You can take the track from Rayyrosa (https://www.rayyrosa.com/) and to download it to your mobile.

It is not normal that you don´t find other pilgrims. Normally, at this season, it has to be crowded or near crowded.:confused:

If you want to take Norte from Oviedo you will have to walk Oviedo - Aviles (probably very few pilgrims in that sector) or to take the bus to Avilés and start at the albergue in Avilés. Oviedo Aviles is marked .... don´t worry about that!;)

If you will follow the Primitivo, then you can directly start in the Albergue in Oviedo.

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!!

Oviedo is the perfect place to regroup. Don’t despair! First, once you arrive in Oviedo’s bus station, head across the street to Santa Cristina Cafeteria. They are always open. You can get a salad, possibly other items. There are a few vegan restaurants in Oviedo but nothing will be open on Sunday. Second, there’s a Decathlon sporting good store and various other stores, including a big selection of sporting goods in the Corte Ingles department store downtown. It will be open tomorrow. You can get boots or other supplies there. Third, you can consider starting on the Primitivo in Oviedo which is spectacularly beautiful, about 300 km and will have you in Santiago in about two weeks. Or, you can head back up and complete the Norte. We walked the Primitivo about a month ago and met many (but not too many) kind and interesting pilgrims, several of them who had started out on the Norte. Anyway, buen camino to you, whatever you decide to do!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Whatever you do, give yourself space to consider your decision. Take time in Oviedo to rest.
Thinking along the lines of Maslow's hierarchy of needs ...

1) Shelter - Find a room where you can be comfortable for a couple of days. Splurge on a hotel if you like but you might find that a hostel puts you in touch with other people. So a little discomfort might be worth enduring for the company.

2) Food. See link to vegan stores and restaurants below. It's tough on a Sunday but ask around and find somewhere that you can treat yourself to something nice. Nobody can be a happy cow on an empty stomach.

3) Belongingness / Connection with others. Make calls / Skype with friends and family. Write a postcard to an old friend. If you find a hostel, strike up conversation with English speakers.

After that, you can make a more dispassionate decision about whether to choose another Camino in Spain or whether to do something else that you're confident will make you feel happier

Some vegan resources in Oviedo:

Some shops that will sell you new shoes:
Deportes Cavana
Calle Marqués de Pidal, 22 ·
+34 985 25 58 34
Closed ⋅ Opens 10:30AM Mon

D-ruta
Calle Arzobispo Guisasola, 28 ·
+34 984 84 62 27
Closed ⋅ Opens 10AM Mon

Covadonga Sport
Calle Gloria Fuertes, 32
+34 985 13 00 60
Closed ⋅ Opens 10AM Mon

I'm planning to walk the Norte this summer and downloaded "Buen Camino" app for android. Once you download the app you need to download the camino you want. It used to be a paid service but free now! Obviously I haven't used it in the field yet but looks promising. It also has an off line mode from what I see.

Maybe the Frances could be a better option at this time? It seems that there is more infrastructure and even some camino magic going on too. And from what I've read the language barrier should be less of an issue also since there are many more English speakers as pilgrims and as locals.

Hope it helps and from vegan to vegan I wish you all the best ;-)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A few more resources:

Yes, you can forward your pack on the Norte and the Primitivo. Check out elcaminoconcorreos.com. Their website is also available in English. If you stay in an albergue, they can help you with it too.

We had great luck with the Wise Pilgrim app for the Primitivo and the Frances. There is one for the Norte as well.

The tourist office right near the cathedral may also have some resources for you.

I am sorry to hear that you have problems.

You can take the track from Rayyrosa (https://www.rayyrosa.com/) and to download it to your mobile.

It is not normal that you don´t find other pilgrims. Normally, at this season, it has to be crowded or near crowded.:confused:

If you want to take Norte from Oviedo you will have to walk Oviedo - Aviles (probably very few pilgrims in that sector) or to take the bus to Avilés and start at the albergue in Avilés. Oviedo Aviles is marked .... don´t worry about that!;)

If you will follow the Primitivo, then you can directly start in the Albergue in Oviedo.

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!!
Thank you. It could be that I don't start walking until 8:30 or 9 am but I only saw three pilgrims today and one group of four yesterday. Thanks for the link.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In 2014 after many obstacles (including being covered in flea bites) my husband and I quit the Camino Frances and went to Oktoberfest in Germany instead of finishing. Here we are almost 5 years later finally planning returning to finish in 2020. We regret we didn't stick it out and it has been harder to get back to Spain to finish than I could have ever imagined. You are there. You are doing it! It's always darkest before the dawn.

I'm planning to walk the Norte this summer and downloaded "Buen Camino" app for android.
The Buen Camino app is a great resource, and once you've downloaded all the content the maps can be used offline. If you walk from Oviedo to Avilés don't expect to see any pilgrims until you reach Avilés, then you should find quite a few in the municipal albergue.

I can't help much with the issue of being vegan on the Norte except to say that I met quite a few vegans on the Norte and francés who were managing well.

One more thing! We are vegans too. We picked up a bottle of balsamic glaze and lived off of tomato sandwiches for dinner. We were able to gather quite a few helpful and delicious vegan things over time by going into all the grocery places we could find.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Perhaps you could go to a restaurant in the afternoon and take a menu wel dia, that of often is better than the pelgrims menu. I am not sure if the vegan possibilities are the same in the afternoon as in the evening. I vaguely remember seeing vegan/vegetarian restaurants that were only open in daytime. In the evening you can eat bread and other things you can buy in the supermercado

Hi VC
It can be tough on the camino when things don't work out. The good news is it can all change very quickly - but you sometimes have to help the good luck on a bit.
Lots of great advice above, especially Raggy's strategy to work through. I'll just add a couple of things
1. Food - look for the touristy or night club part of town. In big towns I've often found a Turkish kebab shop selling pitta, falafel, hummus and salads - get into that and life will feel better almost immediately.
2. Shoes - as cozumel says, there's a Decathlon store and it's right in the centre of Oviedo, less than 500m from the cathedral

The big question - which way to go now?
I see your avatar says you planned to walk the Frances form St Jean to Burgos.
Why not get onto the Frances now? More pilgrims (be careful what you wish for) and many more places catering for a wider spectrum of pilgrims, including vegans - like the awesome Albergue Verde in Hospital d'Orbigo, just after Leon.

Good luck

Others have offered good practical advice. All I can offer is commiseration and encouragement. If it were me, I'd regroup in Oviedo and walk the Primativo. Embracing the struggle is the hardest part...but the broken places are where the light can come in.
If you walk the Primativo you'll likely have some company.
But food is essential. As soon as you get off that bus, go find a Dia where you can find something to take with you that has some protein. Nuts are a good start. You can't walk on ensalata mixta alone. I'm a vegetarian, and Spainish restaurants are a challenge - but that's easy compared to how it is if eggs or dairy are out. The only options in most places are tortilla and tortilla. Or a bocadillo with cheese. So I hope you find those vegan restaurants.
Also send a PM to @LTfit - she's a vegan who knows the lay of the land, so she may be able to suggest places to stay, and to places to eat.
Buen camino, peregrina. May ease return!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@VeganCamino,

My first thoughts as I was reading your words...WOW, are you ever on a powerful Camino! Big kudos to you for being so persistent and, I really mean that! 👍

Perhaps some time re-grouping in Oviedo is exactly what you need. The Cathedral is spectacular...what is in it, even more so! There will be people and shops and more options for your diet.

As far as other Caminos go, I can tell you that my first was on CP. For the most part it was not too difficult. Although, I thought my heart was going to fly out of my mouth, going over Alto da Portela Grande de Labruja but, it didn't! ;)

Your tenacity is truly inspiring!

Decathalon Sports Store in OVD:
Outdoor sports store in Oviedo, Spain
Address: Calle Uria, 3, 33003 Oviedo, Asturias, Spain
Phone: +34 985 70 91 34

👏

I sympathise. I have been eating a strictly plant based diet for the last two years. I shouldn’t call myself vegan because I still have leather, wool, silk products.

On the camino Mozárabe last year I found it fairly easy to eat, there were many albergues where I could cater for myself and as I live in Spain I was used to asking for plant based meals in restaurants. Even in very small villages I found the bars and restaurants understanding and they bent over backwards to provide for me. They weren’t always the tastiest of meals, and I certainly paid a premium, but I was always provided for. It did bug me a bit that my camigas always got to eat the tapas I was served with my drinks, unless a plate of olives was offered.

This year on the Ruta de la Lana I had a rather different experience. Mostly I think because we hit a couple of long public holidays, Easter and mayday when all stores were closed for a few days and there was little opportunity to cook in the evenings.

I wrote a blog post about walking the camino as a vegan last year which you might find useful. You can see it here. Also, do you have the App ‘happy cow’ on your phone? It lists vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your vicinity. I would be very surprised if you couldn’t find a good meal in Oviedo. Also the larger supermarkets in Spain carry a very good range of vegan products, particularly Mercadona, Eroski, Aldi and Lidl.

I think the key is to be organised and to think ahead. Grab what you can, when you can, and bear the burden of any extra weight. We pay (in more ways than one) for our choices.

I have walked the Norte, but before I started eating this way. I am sure you can manage if you feel like returning to this route. Or as others have suggested, perhaps try the Primitivo where you will certainly see more pilgrims.

As a point of interest a friend of mine started walking from Oviedo on the Norte yesterday and has remarked about how few pilgrims he has seen during his first two days.

Good luck and buen camino, whatever you decide

So I'm on a hot, crowded bus to Ovideo instead of walking in the cool, crisp air looking at scenery that looks like a Celtic dream. I walked from Comillas to San Vicente today. Only my third day on the Norte. My shoes have worn out and this town looks too small to have a shoe store. I walked all over town in my flip flips but they are falling apart too.

Heading to Oviedo. To re-group or something. This scenery is beautiful and I'm finding the Norte hard. I keep losing the path and I rarely see other pilgrims. All the churches are closed.

Is there an app that follows the Norte? A luggage transfer service here? I can't find one.

I know in my heart it feels sad to be leaving and beyond the shoes this has been so hard. I've never traveled anywhere where I've struggled like this. I don't speak the language. No problem in Mexico. Grande problema aqui.

I'm also vegan and really really struggling to find food. Another banana for dinner tonight.

Not sure what to do now but I'll feel sad not to try again. Not sure if Norte or Frances or Portuguese is best for try number three.

Or... Fly to Greece and say screw this, it's been really hard. I thought the walk would be hard but I'm finding being in Spain hard. Nothing is ever open and info online is often incorrect, and you can't eat dinner until sometimes 9:30 pm. I just can't seem to get on that schedule.

I felt like this adventure picked me and now I don't know what will be a decent balance of respecting my body's needs and also being on an adventure and open to new things. I don't want to leave Spain and just think Spain sucks. But so far it has, if I'm honest.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks community.

There has been a lot of great advice given. Those who encouraged you to take a break and to rest, in order to give your body and mind a period of recovery, is especially important. You can always make a decision to not continue in a day or two. Get some nutrition and hydration and relaxation into your system first, so that your are not making any decisions when you are feeling at your lowest, and are depleted and spent. There is less chance that you will regret your decision, whatever it is, once you feel in complete control and fully rested.

I do not recall you ever mentioning what shoes you were going to wear? If I can be of any help, please feel free to send me a private message.

As I have personally known for quite a while now, the members of this Forum truly care about you, and will help and encourage you as much as possible. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
VeganCamino - wishing you all the best for the final leg(s) of your Camino. This forum is great at supporting pilgrims before, during and after their experience. I hope you find new shoes and sandals that are comfortable for the remainder of your trip. It's truly amazing how things can snowball when something significant (shoes) goes wrong and we start seeing other events around us thru a lens of negativity that can become self fulfilling. I like all the advice above and especially taking a day or two to regroup in a larger town that can cater to all your needs and comfort.

Your story is also helpful to others, especially those in the planning stage. I've read all of your posts on this forum (not just this thread) to help me understand the numerous challenges you have found. No one can be 100% ready for everything they encounter on their camino. For newbies who are planning now, Preparation beforehand and Adaptability while on the Camino go a long way towards having a better experience.

Edit: I just saw Davebugg's input above. He is a great resource on many things but especially shoes. If you liked the shoes you were wearing but they needed a break-in period, you probably need to choose something else. Dave can help steer you to a shoe brand and model that needs little to no break-in period. He got me out of my hiking boots to a Hoka bondi 6 that required no break in period...for me. Find out the choices you have to choose from at the stores in town and let Dave know. This shoe decision could make or break the rest of your trip.

Last edited:

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks community.
app is trailsmart. saved me a couple times

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks community.
Maybe you should change to a more populated Camino like the Frances?

If you decide to do the Primitivo, albergue La Campa in Salas is now all vegetarian. And also our albergue Ponte Ferreira (27 kms after Lugo) is vegetarian. And as my wife is vegan, she will be very happy to make even a better meal for vegans! 😇

Third, you can consider starting on the Primitivo in Oviedo which is spectacularly beautiful, about 300 km and will have you in Santiago in about two weeks. Or, you can head back up and complete the Norte. We walked the Primitivo about a month ago and met many (but not too many) kind and interesting pilgrims, several of them who had started out on the Norte.
If you found the Norte hard I wouldn't advice you to try the Primitivo. It is physically harder and you won't find more pilgrims than on the Norte, you will also find closed shops and similar vegan options. To me it sounds like the Frances is your Camino. Many pilgrims, hardly any language problems, impossible to get lost, more shops open, more churches open, more vegan options and you can walk smaller distances.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks community.
Hi

Lots of good advice here but you say that you keep losing the path. If you have a smartphone download the app maps.me from whichever AppStore you use and then go to https://www.santiago.nl/downloads and download the KMZ file for the Spanish routes. Once it’s downloaded you’ll have the opportunity to open it in maps.me. Do so. When you open maps.me for the first time it’ll prompt you to download the map relevant for where you are. Do so and you’ll never get lost again. Some lovely Dutch people have provided accurate coordinates for pretty much all of the Caminos including the Primitivo and Norte. These are marked clearly on maps.me. It also shows albergues, water sources and a host of other information. Once downloaded the maps are automatically available offline so you can’t stray off the path no matter how bad the local telephone signal. The Primitivo is a beautiful Camino with a lovely atmosphere amongst the pilgrims. You’ll have a wonderful experience. Buen Camino.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks community.
As a semi experienced Pilgrim I think the advice you have gotten is excellent. My friend Trecile suggests downloading the Buen Camino app. There is also the Wise Pilgrim app for either the Norte, Primitivo or CF. But you pay about $5US for it. I would also recommend looking at Gronze.com and do it in Google Chrome so it automatically translates into English. There are good descriptions of albergues and also comments. Often where the albergue offers a communal meal there will be comments about it and often, especially vegetarians and vegans will make mention of how well they were accommodated. Go to grocery stores whenever you can to buy food. I know you received some resources from others about Oviedo.
You now need to make a choice. You have only walked 3 days and judging by the fact that your shoes falling apart I have to wonder if you had good advice on equipment of just one horrible choice.
3 suggestions:
PLEASE CONTACT DAVE BUGG IMMEDIATELY regarding your feet and what to buy.
I have walked both the Norte and Frances but not the Primitivo. Last October, after Gijon, (Near the turnoff for Oviedo and the Primitivo) the Camino became very, very quiet. The further inland I went the quieter it became until I got close to rejoining the Frances, That was about 2 weeks. I met some friends from the Norte in Arzua who split off onto the Primitivo and I got the impression that there were more Pilgrims on the Primitivo than the Norte in that final part. But this was late October. Please remember the Primitivo is tougher with more hills than the Norte. In fact after Gijon the closer you get to Santiago the easier the Norte is.
You could head down to Leon and walk the Frances. Looks like the heatwave has broken there and the temperatures seem to be cooling considerably Lots more services, choices, baggage transfers, and I am sure Vegan option and lots more people. If you get into the Camino spirit and you have time you can always walk to Muxia or Finisterre. Remember you may get what you wished for with the number of Pilgrims and be sorry you wished for it LOL.
Give it some more time before you decide anything. Three days is nothing. My first Camino after 3 days there were pains in places I didn't know existed. Get OUT of your head. Let things go and don't even think about why you are doing it just do it.
Then if you still feel lousy and think you made a mistake maybe you did. Each journey isn't for everyone. Even if after another week you decide to go to Greece. Relax and sit on the beach and I am sure one day you will realize that you still had a valuable experience and it wasn't a waste of time. Maybe you will find what you need to do, what your type of Camino is for your life. Buen Camino

Others have offered good practical advice. All I can offer is commiseration and encouragement. If it were me, I'd regroup in Oviedo and walk the Primativo. Embracing the struggle is the hardest part...but the broken places are where the light can come in.
If you walk the Primativo you'll likely have some company.
But food is essential. As soon as you get off that bus, go find a Dia where you can find something to take with you that has some protein. Nuts are a good start. You can't walk on ensalata mixta alone. I'm a vegetarian, and Spainish restaurants are a challenge - but that's easy compared to how it is if eggs or dairy are out. The only options in most places are tortilla and tortilla. Or a bocadillo with cheese. So I hope you find those vegan restaurants.
Also send a PM to @LTfit - she's a vegan who knows the lay of the land, so she may be able to suggest places to stay, and to places to eat.
Buen camino, peregrina. May ease return!

Thanks V. for referring @VeganCamino to me. I haven't heard from.her/him but will post some thoughts here:

1) As others have said, Oviedo is a great place to regroup. It's a lovely city and large enough to get everything you need.

2) I walked The Primitivo in April and Bilbao - Gijón then León to Santiago in May as a vegan. By far the easier route as a vegan was the Francés followed by the Primitivo (Albergue Samblismo and Albergue Ponte Ferreira offer vegan communal meals) then the Norte.
I never expected a restaurant, albergue or cafe to accommodate me so I always carried nuts, rice crackers and hummus (more and more supermarkets carry it) and/or garbanzos which I carried in a plastic container. A great breakfast option is toast with olive oil and crushed tomatoes (tostada con aceite y tomate). Beans are available in all supermarkets. The bottom line is that I prepare my lunch or dinner much more often as a vegan (I walked 9 years as a vegetarian). That's just the way it is. If you have Facebook look up Vegans and Vegetarians on the Camino. Members post names of restaurants where options are posted.

3) If you are finding the Norte hard let me just warn you that the Primitivo is physically much more taxing. I have walked about 13 different routes and the Primitivo was for me the most spectacular but challenging.

4) I found both the Norte as well as the Primitivo very well marked but maybe over the years my eyes are used to searching for yellow arrows. I never use a guide or app but many I met on the Norte were raving about the Buen Camino app.

5) You may not be seeing many walking due to the time you leave. Most pilgrims start out earlier. In April and May there were always someone walking and many albergues on the Norte were even full so your comment surprises me.

I wish you well and do pm me if you need any more advice.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you. It could be that I don't start walking until 8:30 or 9 am but I only saw three pilgrims today and one group of four yesterday. Thanks for the link.
Waiting until 8:30 or later is definitely a problem, especially at this time of year when most are hiking by 7 -730 at the latest.

This is going to sound cruel @VeganCamino , it's not meant to be, but I think you need to 'give-in' to the Camino.

Try to go with the flow. If you try to fit the Camino around you, like in your preferred meal times or whatever, you will never settle into it.

It is what it is...........not what you want it to be.

That's part of the magic and the learning.

If that makes sense........

I hope you stick with it ;)

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks community.
Vegan, I hear you in your current funk and discouragement. It hits most of us one time or another and on the Camino, take it as symbolic of what we encounter in real life. So many of the lessons I have learned on the Camino are like mini-parables that I have applied to day to day living. Go easy on yourself. You’ve already gotten some great route alternatives suggested by other Peregrinos. The stopover and regroup in Oviedo sounds like a great plan - as well as to get a decent meal and new shoes! I hope to walk the Primitivo in 2021 as part of my next Camino, so if you take that way, I’d be keen to hear how it goes. Hang in there. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks community.

Oviedo is the perfect place to regroup. Don’t despair! First, once you arrive in Oviedo’s bus station, head across the street to Santa Cristina Cafeteria. They are always open. You can get a salad, possibly other items. There are a few vegan restaurants in Oviedo but nothing will be open on Sunday. Second, there’s a Decathlon sporting good store and various other stores, including a big selection of sporting goods in the Corte Ingles department store downtown. It will be open tomorrow. You can get boots or other supplies there. Third, you can consider starting on the Primitivo in Oviedo which is spectacularly beautiful, about 300 km and will have you in Santiago in about two weeks. Or, you can head back up and complete the Norte. We walked the Primitivo about a month ago and met many (but not too many) kind and interesting pilgrims, several of them who had started out on the Norte. Anyway, buen camino to you, whatever you decide to do!
Thank you so much. I went to decathlon and replaced the towel I left in Roncesvalles. I also bought from another store a pair of Ecco shoes. Thought they were a fit and now wearing them for a few hours walking around Oviedo OMG redness and ouch. 🙄 Ugh ... I thought this was fitting. Thanks for the support.

Attachments

• IMG_20190701_145933.jpg
    IMG_20190701_145933.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
Whatever you do, give yourself space to consider your decision. Take time in Oviedo to rest.
Thinking along the lines of Maslow's hierarchy of needs ...

1) Shelter - Find a room where you can be comfortable for a couple of days. Splurge on a hotel if you like but you might find that a hostel puts you in touch with other people. So a little discomfort might be worth enduring for the company.

2) Food. See link to vegan stores and restaurants below. It's tough on a Sunday but ask around and find somewhere that you can treat yourself to something nice. Nobody can be a happy cow on an empty stomach.

3) Belongingness / Connection with others. Make calls / Skype with friends and family. Write a postcard to an old friend. If you find a hostel, strike up conversation with English speakers.

After that, you can make a more dispassionate decision about whether to choose another Camino in Spain or whether to do something else that you're confident will make you feel happier

Some vegan resources in Oviedo:

Some shops that will sell you new shoes:
Deportes Cavana
Calle Marqués de Pidal, 22 ·
+34 985 25 58 34
Closed ⋅ Opens 10:30AM Mon

D-ruta
Calle Arzobispo Guisasola, 28 ·
+34 984 84 62 27
Closed ⋅ Opens 10AM Mon

Covadonga Sport
Calle Gloria Fuertes, 32
+34 985 13 00 60
Closed ⋅ Opens 10AM Mon
Thank you so much. 💜💜💜💜💜

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I really haven't found this to be true. How could your shoes wear out in a couple weeks? I have some friends that are on the Norte right now and yes the sections are long but the rewards are longer.

This is going to sound cruel @VeganCamino , it's not meant to be, but I think you need to 'give-in' to the Camino.

Try to go with the flow. If you try to fit the Camino around you, like in your preferred meal times or whatever, you will never settle into it.

It is what it is...........not what you want it to be.

That's part of the magic and the learning.

If that makes sense........

I hope you stick with it ;)
Excellent advice indeed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm planning to walk the Norte this summer and downloaded "Buen Camino" app for android. Once you download the app you need to download the camino you want. It used to be a paid service but free now! Obviously I haven't used it in the field yet but looks promising. It also has an off line mode from what I see.

Maybe the Frances could be a better option at this time? It seems that there is more infrastructure and even some camino magic going on too. And from what I've read the language barrier should be less of an issue also since there are many more English speakers as pilgrims and as locals.

Hope it helps and from vegan to vegan I wish you all the best ;-)
Thank you. I am heading to Leon today. The rainy weather in Ovideo is depressing. I'm going to rest for a day or two then see if the Frances is a better fit. Otherwise I'll go to Portugal and just be a tourist. It did seem a lot easier on the Frances and if not for the insanely high heat I was doing well on the path. Let's see what happens now... Thanks 😊

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What Robo said is very good advice.

This might be a bit harsh. Please note that none of this is meant in a bad way.

What you‘re doing now is "Camino shopping". You try to take the bits and pieces that fit into your mental picture of what you want the Camino to be like and run away from the rest. That's not really how it works.

You can't have it all at the same time – walk a lesser walked Camino, and at the same time expect lots of open shops, cafés and places that offer a kind of food that in Spain is still an absolute rarity (mostly vegan myself, no offence).

In one place it is too hot, in the other the weather is depressing. So what do you want?

On the one Camino it's a bed race, on the other you don't meet enough pilgrims. You walk later than everyone, you walk a lesser travelled route... of course you don't meet many pilgrims.

The Camino can give you a lot of things, and many of those you like or want or need, but on its own conditions. Right now it seems you‘re trying to impose your conditions on the Camino. If one is happy with the result one gets from that, that's absolutely fine, but at the moment it seems you‘re not exactly happy. So maybe try what Robo said, and give in to the Camino, go with the flow.

There are often simple solutions to seemingly difficult problems. No vegan food? Not much company? Go to a local shop, buy whatever vegan food you can find (even small tiendas in tiny towns have chickpeas, pasta, vegetables, lentils), prepare a nice dinner in the albergue kitchen, share with others. Bingo. Carry nuts and dried fruit inbetween towns – no problem if the cafés are closed. Shoes falling apart? Buy some super glue and duct tape to stick it back together until there‘s a possibility to buy new ones (have done all of that, it works).

My advice would be to go back to the Frances, start again at a point that still allows you to go all the way to Finisterre, and just walk. WALK. And give in to the Camino rhythm.

I might be completely wrong with this, of course. Just an idea to consider.

Ultreia and buen Camino, wish you all the best and that you'll find your way, wherever it may lead you!

Last edited:
And give in to the Camino rhythm.
Good advice

The only other advice that I can offer is to try some hiking sandals. I just finished walking over 1000km on the Frances, Salvador and Norte entirely in sandals. My feet feel so much better at the end of the day than on the Caminos that I did wearing trail runners.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Only walking in the UK at present but it has been hot. It was interesting that my feet feel cooler in my (lightweight leather) boots than my walking shoes which are a suede synthetic mix. Same sock combination.
I also find it easier to stop boots slipping as they tie better than the shoes. Probably similar with trail runners.
Whatever type - shoes that fit well and without rubbing are a priority.

We too need to walk early here when it is hot and stop early; even more so on the Camino when we have walked in the past. First walking day of my first venture on to the Camino (to see how I managed) it rained non-stop from before breakfast until 'bocadillo time' (around 10.00am), then further along it snowed (May) and we moved to the Norte where it turned hot. Gave me a good idea of what to expect when we returned to walk the Camino into Santiago. 'Go with the flow' is good advice.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks community.
My husband just finished. Download the app Buen Camino then buy thw route. It also lists many of the acvommodations.This will guide you. Check out Correos. It is the Spain post office and delivers everywhere.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks community.
Also, go to a grocery store and buy vegan foods to get you through the next day.

Thank you. I am heading to Leon today. The rainy weather in Ovideo is depressing. I'm going to rest for a day or two then see if the Frances is a better fit. Otherwise I'll go to Portugal and just be a tourist. It did seem a lot easier on the Frances and if not for the insanely high heat I was doing well on the path. Let's see what happens now... Thanks 😊

Now, that sounds like a plan.

CF and you may be made for you; lots of pilgrims and tons of infrastructure to accommodate them; vegans as well.

Tell us how it goes.

Buen camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks community.
Hello tired walker,

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks community.
Hello Pilgrim, if you are not enjoying the walk, stop! I have always admired the walkers who say, "Thats enough, its not fun anymore, I'm going home", and they take the bus and leave. That takes guts, as much guts as carrying on and having a miserable time. You do what you want to do and good luck to you whatever you choose, Brian Baxter.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks community.
Fly to Greece and it may suck,also. For me, personally, Spain never sucks!

OK VC, Leon sounds like a good option.
At the risk of micro-advising, just a couple of tips heading out of Leon: it's on one of the least beautiful parts of the camino Frances (but after that it all starts getting much better). You may be tempted to take the slightly shorter route option to Villadangos but it's beside a national road and has little going for it. Recommend you take it nice n easy via the back roads to Mazarife instead, and maybe the day after just 15km to Hospital d'Orbigo where you have the vegan Albergue Verde. At Verde they have a meditation room and last autumn were in the process of building a big circular structure in the garden for yoga, meditation etc - with a bit of luck it'll be ready by now!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello tired walker,

Hello Pilgrim, if you are not enjoying the walk, stop! I have always admired the walkers who say, "Thats enough, its not fun anymore, I'm going home", and they take the bus and leave. That takes guts, as much guts as carrying on and having a miserable time. You do what you want to do and good luck to you whatever you choose, Brian Baxter.
Thank you. The walking is awesome. The best. Being in Spain sucks. Sucks. Sucks. It's beautiful but it sucks. Twenty countries never felt this way anywhere else. I'm currently on a bus that broke down on the side of the road two hours ago. I'm going to miss check in time for my second hotel I booked today. First was being painted and the smell bothers me. I can't wait to stop taking public transit here. I was in a bus that had a small accident. In a bus where the driver's seat broke so people waited got another one but I walked a big big big hill down. Right now I'm 33 miles away so... Not walking in this rain to my hotel that closes in an hour but interesting metaphor.

OK VC, Leon sounds like a good option.
At the risk of micro-advising, just a couple of tips heading out of Leon: it's on one of the least beautiful parts of the camino Frances (but after that it all starts getting much better). You may be tempted to take the slightly shorter route option to Villadangos but it's beside a national road and has little going for it. Recommend you take it nice n easy via the back roads to Mazarife instead, and maybe the day after just 15km to Hospital d'Orbigo where you have the vegan Albergue Verde. At Verde they have a meditation room and last autumn were in the process of building a big circular structure in the garden for yoga, meditation etc - with a bit of luck it'll be ready by now!
Thank you thank you thank you.

EDIT: I see we both posted at the same moment.
Sorry that you think Spain sucks x4. Hoping that you'll one day look back at these events and marvel at how your life changed because of them. Buen Camino

@VeganCamino, Tecile makes an excellent suggestion in the following...
...try some hiking sandals...
I agree with her because I too, wear 'hiking' sandals. In case you're not familiar with this idea, I'll get straight to the important points: They provide good support, let your feet breathe, are easily adjustable throughout the day and, many other reasons. There's a Decathalon in Leon but, I think maybe it is their central warehouse. No worries, there is another in Ponferrada and I pulled up a couple of options for you...

Last edited:
EDIT: I see we both posted at the same moment.
Sorry that you think Spain sucks x4. Hoping that you'll one day look back at these events and marvel at how your life changed because of them. Buen Camino

@VeganCamino, Tecile makes an excellent suggestion in the following...

I agree with her because I too, wear 'hiking' sandals. In case you're not familiar with this idea, I'll get straight to the important points: They provide good support, let your feet breathe, are easily adjustable throughout the day and, many other reasons. There's a Decathalon in Leon but, I think maybe it is their central warehouse. No worries, there is another in Ponferrada and I pulled up a couple of options for you...

View attachment 60428
Thank you i bought these super pricey Ecco sandals today. Fit great in the store. Rubbing now so I'm wearing granny socks. Still rubbing. Fingers crossed That's part of the wearing in process.

Attachments

• IMG_20190701_151450.jpg
    IMG_20190701_151450.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 70
Thank you i bought these super pricey Ecco sandals today. Fit great in the store. Rubbing now so I'm wearing granny socks. Still rubbing. Fingers crossed That's part of the wearing in process.
And awesome community support. Really really appreciate it. I keep thinking of The Alchemist and how the boy found his treasure under the sycamore tree at home but he couldn't have found it without all the adventure.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hospital d'Orbigo where you have the vegan Albergue Verde.
I'm not vegan, but o e of the best meals I had on my first Camino was at Albergue Verde.
Rubbing now so I'm wearing granny socks.
I always wear socks with my sandals while I'm walking on the Camino. Another tip is to go to a farmacia and buy a roll of Omnifix or Hypafix tape. Put it on your feet every morning on any spot that has ever had a hot spot. The friction will go on your feet rather than your skin.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
CaminoVegan - I am afraid you are wrong, wrong, wrong…you know it as do many of us here who have tried to support you.

Spain sucks. Sucks. Sucks.

In your quote above replace the word Spain with “My Preparation, My Attitude & My Adaptability”. This seems to apply as well to your posts in some of the other threads you have participated in.

I truly wish you the best. I hope you can turn this around and find some joy within the country of Spain. It is there if you choose to see it. I don’t know how to help you and it almost feels like the support you are getting is feeding additional drama and complaints. I’m offering this tough love sincerely hoping it gives you a jolt that produces another perspective.

You, like all pilgrims will continue to have challenges throughout the remainder of your Camino and no one can protect you from that. Maybe try something different. Pay attention to all the positive things that happen during the day and tell us about that on this thread or start new thread with that theme. Stop tripping over your ego, focus on what is happening outside of you, around you and not what is happening to you.

Recommend you take it nice n easy via the back roads to Mazarife instead
Tom's advice is great - take the left turn at Virgen del Camino and head to Mazariffe.
San Antonio de Padua has a lovely vegetarian shared meal. If you let them know you're vegan, I bet they'd make sure you got what you need.

Hope that **** bus gets going soon! The camino is giving you special treatment. The kind of test with surprise questions. ;)

I can't tell, but does the insole of the sandal surrounded by a slight edge, forming a 'bathtub' type of shape? If it does, is that raised edge what is rubbing against your foot?

You are living my dream VC! I would love to be in Spain walking right now in a heat wave! The high where I live was 34C today. It completely dark now but on 32C. Of course the humidity is 39% as well.

One thing I've been meditating on lately is instead of asking "Why is this happening to me?" I'm practicing asking "What is this trying to teach me?" So here I sit, still waiting to do my first Camino and no clear answer when that will be, reading your post...You have again reminded me how important the attitude of gratitude is to the experience of all our current circumstances.

We have a saying where I live..."Wherever you go, there you are." The meaning is quite simple. Sometimes a geographic cure is needed and the cure will never work if you take your burdens with you. I used to hate my small town. Then I realized we are pretty much crime-free, drug-free, in traveling distance of two major cities, the beach and the mountains. When my attitude changed, so did my perspective.

Hang in there! Are you open to looking at your ciricumstances differently? You can turn your day around and it might just save your Camino. But rest assured if you quit now, without mastering your lessons, you will get future opportunities to do the same! That is the summation of the pilgrimage that is LIFE itself. We can run but we can't hide. I wish you a Buen Camino and will be praying for you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The phrase "Spain sucks' is not a good thing for Spain, is it ?.
No and not at all how I want to feel about a place I've longed to visit for decades and wanted to walk to slow travel and really experience it. And it's been very hard. Willing to have that change each day.

If the willingness is there, the change will happen.
Hang in there, and remember to notice the good things as much as the limited food choices (total sympathy there...). On the Frances, it's easier for sure in that regard; just order platos combinados or menu del dia, not the peregrino menu. You pay more but it's better.

On the Frances, it's easier for sure in that regard; just order platos combinados or menu del dia, not the peregrino menu.

Not sure if this is true for vegans and vegetarians - at least that's my experience. Anyway it does not matter as the OP is now considering walking part of the Sanabres.

It is in mine. You pay more, but there's more willingness to adjust. That's especially been my experience off the Francés.

Fair enough. I have always been a bit shy to ask to adjust the offered options, but thanks for pointing out.

€149,-
Que? Por que? At least along the Camino Frances the infrastructure exists to sustain even the most discerning pilgrim. Along the Sanabres? Buena suerte!

Don't ask me why (I have given up on all logics here - while still hoping the OP will be all right in some way) - I just found out in another thread.

I have always been a bit shy to ask to adjust the offered options,
I just explain that I'm a vegetarian, and after the ususl primero of ensalata, can they please make something easy - and there have been a few times when I have been happily surprised at what comes. But to be honest, I only worked up the courage to do this recenty.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is hard because you have insisted on trying to project your personal and ego-centric view of how reality should be onto how reality actually is.

Calm down David.:) I perfectly understand where your post is coming from. But I have come to realize this thread is possibly also serving as test for our (well at least my) patience.

Last edited:
What attracts my curiosity is why the OP has been so selective in responding. A lot of people have put a lot of effort in helping this lost pilgrim. Some posts just get an empty 'thank you so much', but the most relevant contributions get no response at all. So I start to wonder if the OP really wants to get help from this wonderful community.

David...breathe.
And after a few second thoughts you might consider editing your post.
Someone is struggling, and maybe the form that struggle takes is annoying. But beating on someone to stop struggling, no matter how true the message? It doesn't work, not with a stranger in a public forum.

I understand the frustration, but am also pained by the responses to this person's messages, not only yours.

Ridicule and sarcasm are subtle forms of bullying. Please chill, good people. We're better than this.

But does that mean that we can never criticise one another?
Good question...
Of course not. But in this case, what's the point? And what's the motivation behind it?
It's one thing to kindly take someone you know well aside and say what's on your mind without 'pulling any punches.'
It's another to ridicule or be sarcastic about a stranger on an internet forum. Not only does it not work, but it's also hurtful.
Maybe that's considered OK these days...certainly there are powerful role models for it. But it's neither kind nor right.

Last edited:

€60,-
I didn't perceive @Luka's post as venting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
He wasn't, you're right.
But other people certainly have been. ;)
Edit ~ I'm sorry for preaching, but this has really hit a nerve. Kindness matters, and the Forum is generally a remarkably kind place, so it's unnerving to see it turn a bit mean. I'll stop now.

Last edited:
Annoyance or a cathartic response are teachers, too. 😉

Yes to the above, I think the greatest value of this thread is in the teaching moment. There are some real nuggets here interlaced with a live, real time exemplar. It's a good reminder for other newbies (who read this later) to understand how things can go wrong on their Camino and how you have the power to control the damage if not repair it completely.

What attracts my curiosity is why the OP has been so selective in responding.

Luka when I read your input I thought of the famous Camino saying 😁 Give a pilgrim a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a pilgrim to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. The OP has received a lot of fish from the generous members on this forum. She has responded to those immediately useful specific bits of information that have saved the OP time and effort. Learning to fish is not so much fun....for any of us...especially in a public forum...as VNwalking states so elegantly.

I still hope she turns things around and finds joy or something useful in this experience.

Last edited:
It is hard because you have insisted on trying to project your personal and ego-centric view of how reality should be onto how reality actually is.
Your footwear problems? you did that, not Camino.
Your first world middle class dietary choices - you made those choices, not the Camino. Stop expecting businesses to cater for you and buy the foods you eat in shops and carry them with you.
You have language problems? Your choice, not the Camino.
Nothing ever open? Nonsense and untrue and not the fault of either Spain or the Camino.
The Spanish eat dinner late? True - get used to it, is completely normal.
You say that you are open to adventure and new things? You have absolutely no idea what "open to new things" actually means.
You don't want to leave Spain but "Spain sucks" - Spain? Tens of millions of marvellous people set in a varied and beautiful landscape full of ancient history and stunning modernity? Really?

Are you a teenager? You sound like a teenager - time to grow up - to live in the world 'as it is'!

Here is a tip - leave Spain, go somewhere easy where you can continue to focus on yourself and feel lots of self pity - you will be so much happier - or .. hey! stop being an arse, stop measuring and judging and just walk west every day, marvelling at every thing that happens, the miracle, wondrous miracle of that (but you won't, will you ;)).

Buen Camino.
*Edit* I now see the irony in my response. The thing I struggled most with in my own Camino was reality vs how I thought my Camino should look. I had many a temper tantrum walking along those paths with emotions surging up and out of the depths of my psyche. It was rough but there were also days where it was bliss and I felt like I was floating over the countryside. Go figure 🤷🏼‍♀️

I would *highly* encourage you to retract or edit your response. Honestly, your reaction says way more about you and you're relationship with yourself than the OP's plea for help and support (which that's all it was, a "dear community, I need support because I'm having a moment"). You are filling in details about the OP's character that are pure assumption based on how you think this person's camino "should" go down.

Last edited by a moderator:
No and not at all how I want to feel about a place I've longed to visit for decades and wanted to walk to slow travel and really experience it. And it's been very hard. Willing to have that change each day.

Keep on keepin' on! I respect your courage in asking for help and your continued openness.

Fair enough. I have always been a bit shy to ask to adjust the offered options, but thanks for pointing out.

Always ask because the more the demand, the greater the chance that options will be offered. This is what we advise on the Vegetarians and Vegans on the Camino Facebook page.

When I was in El Burgo Ranero the winter before last I was hapoy to find a restaurant that offered a vegan meal. I commented how surprised I was and thanked them. The owner said, "there is more and more demand so we have accommodated".

Even at the Parador in Santiago it is possible! Just ask. Last October I arrived so early that I was given a ticket for a pilgrim lunch. When we arrived I went over to one of the waiters and asked if there was a vegetarian option (was not yet a vegan). Yes, there was! When my lovely pumpkin soup and a veggie rice dish arrived two of my table mates said that if they had known, they too would have done the same but were too shy to ask.

Bottom line is that I don't expect anyone to accommodate my personal choice but I always ask.

@VeganCamino, Hoping that you've taken the time to read and digest some of the GREAT advice in this thread. The replies are so powerful to me that I printed out this entire thread because, it's my belief that there is a GREAT amount of experiential real World living poured into it by so many. My suggestion is that you print it out, too. Put it in a safe place. Read it now and again.

Straight up, I'm not totally writing this for you. I'm writing it for my own continued "daily Camino" growth (because, it's my belief that a Camino is only the beginning of higher learning...if we're open to it) and, for anyone else who may benefit from it.

In 2016 I went on my first Camino. Within a few days, I suffered such an emotional shock and subsequent heartache that, I wanted to head straight back to Madrid and wait for my Fiancee and his Daughter to meet me, a month later. Had it not been for a young German woman I met in an albergue just a few days later, I might have just 'given up'. Apparently, I needed to see someone in physical distress which far outweighed my emotional pain. It was to be the beginning of me realizing that it was my perception of how I assumed things had and always would be, that had to change. Three years later and I'm still working on it.

As much as I/we want to help, it is up to you to come to these realizations. Here is the number one thing which has (and continues to) help me: The HARDEST person to tell the truth to is usually, yourself.

EDIT: Thank you to ALL you Forum Members for being such a wonderful place for me to come...and learn...and grow.

Hand holding ends eventually.
Please don't poison the discussion by pouring on scorn. If something irritates you to the point where you have nothing helpful to say, just move on. If that's difficult, you can use the ignore button - I find that it improves my time on the forum and it goes some way to saving me from saying things that would reflect badly on me.
Buen Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it useful to read previous messages of an OP. My aim is actually to get an idea of what the OP's concerns and experiences are so that any advice I could possibly give makes sense to and applies to the OP (instead of just to me). Although I've learnt the hard way, to my utter surprise, that some posters don't like this at all ... anyway, so this was the plan according to the first post in April 2019:
  • walk from SJPP to Burgos on the Camino Frances
  • take a bus to Bilboa and spend 2 nights
  • take a bus out of town to avoid the asphalt then walk along the Camino Norte to Ribadesella
  • take a bus to Leon and walk to Ponferrada
  • dip down to the Via de la Plata and spend 2 nights in Ourense
  • then onto Santiago
Why?
  • it's 500 miles/ 800 KM in total
  • provides a variety of scenery, including water views
  • could start on 27 May or 15 June, what's better
I can't see that this is "an adventure that picked" the person in question. In fact, the title of the first thread is "Mixing the routes for the best view and food".

We are at the beginning of July 2019 and can now give an answer to the question about the start date. 15 June was too late for this OP because it got a lot hotter at the end of June than at the end of May. There's not always a heatwave of a few days involved but it is a lot hotter at the end of June than at the end of May in Spain and that's true for every year. And you are moving without air-conditioning most of the time. Future adventurers, please take note.

As to the (in my modest view) need for a modest but realistic preparation about people and country that one visits that is not based on fiction movies and fiction books and the need for hands-on (or feet-on) experience of what walking for many days is like if one does not only want to enjoy scenery and food but wants to enjoy it through slow travel on foot ... I'll keep this to myself. But perhaps these comments help to recalibrate the thread and any future advice that can be given.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So many posts on this thread! And where are you now, OP? I haven’t read everything, but I looked at the Ecco sandals you just bought. I tried the exact pair on this morning. Your feet must be slightly less fat and broad and wide than mine! The front part is great but can’t be opened. I think you have done the right thing to wear socks. Nobody knows you! I hope that by the time you are sitting in your seat on the return home, that you can say: Thanks be to (fill in the space yourself). Grab the breath you have. Some people lose that, you know, in less time than it takes to blink. Buen onward camino...

But why? Annoyance or a cathartic response are teachers, too. 😉
I personally don't see The Camino as a living breathing entity so I'm a bit reluctant to quote this but here it is:

The Camino doesn't give us what we want. It gives us what we need.
Assuming that the Collective here on the forum is part of the voice of The Camino then maybe the end of hand holding or a few cathartic responses are just what is needed, and we are watching The Universe unfolding as it should (or whatever The Universe usually does in such situations)?

🙃

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is good to be kind. It is good to be gentle - but sometimes the best gift one can give to a person in a certain state is to be an ice-cold bucket of water, emptied over the head.
Kindness, helpfulness, in this way is not always immediately apparent as kindness, and it can also be seen as not being helpful; as being rude, antagonistic, angry, unkind - but what it can actually be is a true kindness, a deliberate shock aimed at waking that person up ... don't you think?

...... the universe, reality, is not as we want it to be, it is what it is. It is therefore a waste of a life to try and project our immature desires onto the universe and complain when it will just not conform to those desires.

To swim in the ocean of life is not to stand ankle deep and complain about how cold it feels, it is to plunge in and from that breathless shock moment of immersion to feel the utter Joy of being alive, whatever may come - which was why I made my earlier posting which I then deleted because of negative feedback on here .... but I still think that I said the right thing, at the right time, to the right person. ❤

I would ask the OP to watch this and mull on it ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back