• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quiz No. 4!

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
Something a little different this time. Here are five photos from the Camino Francés with questions. The photos are in chronological order to provide some clues. ¡Buena suerte!

1. Where is this mural to be found?

35666191541_4cc012f555_c.jpg

2. This is a fairly distinct Romanesque-Mudéjar church. Where is it?

35798433435_3e22818ea5_c.jpg

3. Where are these city walls?

34957746774_1f30181fff_c.jpg

4. Where do you find these unhappy looking fellows?

35798431125_384c8634ed_c.jpg

5. What's noteworthy about the location of this church?

35666163521_b2b32e54cf_c.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
  1. Mural: I know that it is on the Camino Francés. In one of the earlier sections. Seen photos. Never saw it in real life.
  2. Romanesque-Mudéjar church: Stood exactly on the same spot where the photo was taken. Looked at exactly the same round arches.
  3. City walls: May have seen them. May have walked around that corner. Is there a tiny portal in the wall to the left where you can walk through? But would have to look at photos/Google to be certain.
  4. Unhappy looking fellows. Did I see that pattern anywhere? No recollection.
  5. Location of church: Is it really on the Camino Francés? Then I would regret not having looked at it more closely. Although ... wait a minute ... nah ... can't be. Did the church I am thinking of have that many windows? Is this photo a mirror image?
How's that for a reply? 🙃

My guess would be that the first letter of the name of the towns is once in the first half of the alphabet and three times in the second half of the alphabet with one unknown.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Location of church: Is it really on the Camino Francés? Then I would regret not having looked at it more closely. Although ... wait a minute ... nah ... can't be. Did the church I am thinking of have that many windows? Is this photo a mirror image?
Amazing ... I don't recall these windows at all !!! But yes, of course, it's that church. With that apse chapel. In that place. Right next to where I stayed one night not so long ago. In the house of the maestro, or some similar name. The church can't have budged much since then. :)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think that all of them must have been built/made since I walked the CF last year as I can't remember any of them!
Just yesterday I saw a photo on Instagram of a place on the Francés that I couldn't remember at all but one that seemed like I should have remembered. And there were lots of comments from people saying, 'I remember that!' I guess it goes to show - again - that no two caminos are the same, we all see things differently, and that's part of the magic of it.

I will refrain (for now) from commenting on the answers! Especially @Kathar1na's which is a quiz unto itself!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The guy covered in stamps is in a place known for its pinxos.
The first church is about half way.
If you stay in the town with the walls, please say hi to Laura for me - she's been a hospi there for a loooong time!
The gloomy guys may be in a city whose high gothic cathedral is known for its stained glass...I'm not sure of this one.
The church moved, I think, not wanting to get its feet wet.

€83,-
The church looks like one of the mudejar churches in Sahagún.

The walls look like Galisteo, but that’s the wrong camino. I think Mansilla de las Mulas has some like that (but I am cheating because of your geography hint).

I think the unhappy guys are in the León cathedral, though how someone could be unhappy there is beyond me.

The church might be the side of the church in Portomarín, whose location is unusual because it was transported there stone by stone when the damming of the river flooded the original town.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Something a little different this time. Here are five photos from the Camino Francés with questions. The photos are in chronological order to provide some clues. ¡Buena suerte!

View attachment 87226

View attachment 87228

View attachment 87229

View attachment 87230

View attachment 87231
1. Logrono.
2. I'm not positive but I'm going with Sahagun, a centre of Mudejar architecture on the Frances.
3. Those look like Leon to me.
4. I have no idea. Maybe Astorga? Based on these being in chronological order along the Camino.
5. Looking at the top of the church, I'm thinking this is Portomarin. We are so used to seeing it from the front that it is hard to recognize from this angle.

The only one I can hazard a guess at is #4, the "church known for its stained glass windows" 😉, which I figured right away. But maybe it will surprise us all.

I had a couple thoughts on some others, but they would be way out of sequence. And after reading (only after attempting my own guesses 😄) other answers already given, many of them make more sense. 🤷‍♀️

5. Looking at the top of the church, I'm thinking this is Portomarin. We are so used to seeing it from the front that it is hard to recognize from this angle.
Yes! Now I see it. I walked around it a few times and I may even have a similar picture. But I drew a complete blank when I first looked at Jungleboy's photo. How soon they forget....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The guy covered in stamps is in a place known for its pinxos.
The first church is about half way.
If you stay in the town with the walls, please say hi to Laura for me - she's been a hospi there for a loooong time!
The gloomy guys may be in a city whose high gothic cathedral is known for its stained glass...I'm not sure of this one.
The church moved, I think, not wanting to get its feet wet.
No fair, you can’t give more clues. But you did remind me that when I walked into the albergue in the town with those walls, after having slept there once about 4 years earlier, Laura said, Hola Laura, I remember your hat. 😁

The "red brick church" is San Tirso in Sahagun. Brick construction is typical of the Mudejar period, named for the Moors who remained in Spain after the Reconquest in the Middle Ages.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I thought the mural was in Belorado. Apparently not. Looks like I got only 2 out of 5 right. But then I never mentioned the names of the towns anyway so I am still not giving anything away. 😎

Kudos, @jungleboy, for the photo of the second church. I've been there. I had walked around it. Clockwise and anti-clockwise. I took photos from different sides. I looked at the numbers painted on some of the stones. I looked at the medieval mason marks on some of the stones (yes, outside). And yet I had difficulty identifying it. Because the great number of photos that are taken from the most common angle and that we've seen so often suffocates our own visual memories. If you had asked me to draw that church from memory I would have drawn a rectangular box.

Last edited:

View attachment 87226

View attachment 87228

View attachment 87229

View attachment 87230

View attachment 87231
No 5 is Portomarin
No 4 Carrion ?
No. 3 Castrojeriz
I recognize No 2 but can not think of place.
No 1 Estrella?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Too hard for me. But I agree with #3 being Mansilla de las Mulas.
The city walls are in Mansilla de las Mulas viewed as you look back when stepping onto the bridge leaving town.
I took a day trip back from Leon to go to the excellent Museo Etnográfico in Mansilla de las Mulas, and waited nearby for the bus back to Leon.

I stayed the night in Mansilla de las Mulas. I've now taken a trip through it in Google Earth. It helped me to remember that I did walk around the town. I did see parts of the wall and the rests of the towers. I even turned around on the bridge when I left town the next morning and I did see the wall on the left side. Yet it made no lasting impression. I had completely forgotten about it.

What I remember most vividly from my stay, and I have talked about it to friends, are the embutidos that were for sale in a shop where I had breakfast, next to an albergue. Oh how I remember all these smoked hams and smoked sausages, hanging from the ceiling, from the walls, displayed on the counter ... I wish I were there. Or that I could at least go shopping there tomorrow morning. 🙃

Last edited:
While musing on the clues and before I read down to get here, I was only dimly clear about # 5.
As with the others my first go was Portomarin.
Two reasons. I had approached it from the side for early morning pilgrims Mass (South Koreans, and we all sat on the comfy semi-circular cushion in the apse. I was the only interloper, with permission). And Then I saw the apse in the image. Bingo.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And the answers!

1. The mural is in Logroño. First to get it was @mspath!

2. The church is in Sahagún. First to recognise it without giving it away was @Kathar1na, first to hint at the location was @VNwalking, first to actually say it was @peregrina2000, and first to give the name of the church was @mspath!

3. The walls are in Mansilla de las Mulas. First to hint at the location without giving it away was @VNwalking, first to mention the town was @peregrina2000, and once again the first to confirm and add more detail was @mspath! (It turns out that if you walk the CF 11 times, you know a thing or two about it!)

4. The unhappy chaps are in the cathedral in León. It was quite hot that day which I'm sure contributed to their grumpiness. @VNwalking was the first to guess it in hint form, first to mention the name was @peregrina2000.

5. This is the church in Portomarín and what's noteworthy about its location is that it was dismantled and moved to accommodate the building of a dam, which @VNwalking was the first to mention. As for the angle of the photo, we were eating at the Italian osteria on the back side of the church and it was one of those 'sun comes out for five minutes and then goes away and it rains' kind of Galician days, and I just got lucky and had a brief window of opportunity to take this shot.

Thanks for playing!

I stayed the night in Mansilla de las Mulas. I've now taken a trip through it in Google Earth. It helped me to remember that I did walk around the town. I did see parts of the wall and the rests of the towers. I even turned around on the bridge when I left town the next morning and I did see the wall on the left side. Yet it made no lasting impression. I had completely forgotten about it.

What I remember most vividly from my stay, and I have talked about it to friends, are the embutidos that were for sale in a shop where I had breakfast, next to an albergue. Oh how I remember all these smoked hams and smoked sausages, hanging from the ceiling, from the walls, displayed on the counter ... I wish I were there. Or that I could at least go shopping there tomorrow morning. 🙃
Sometimes our memories are episodic. Especially memories of journeys. They kind of run like a sequential video.

If we re-trace the journey or have something similar like a Google Earth walk through then we can remember what is around the next corner (that we can't see yet) but out of sequence or out of context we can not remember or describe what was around that corner.

the church in Portomarín and what's noteworthy about its location is that it was dismantled and moved to accommodate the building of a dam
They numbered the stones before they dismantled the church and transported the stones to the new location in Portomarín and erected it there. You can see some of the numbers on the outer church wall (see photo below).

we were eating at the Italian osteria on the back side of the church
I remember their chairs on the pavement, too. Opposite of my room. Great idea for a quiz, @jungleboy. :)

p_2048_1536_9f93a4b2-83c8-4734-807d-eb3d674f4bb1.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for playing!
Thank you @jungleboy ! That was fun.
And I learned a few new things.

the first to confirm and add more detail was @mspath! (It turns out that if you walk the CF 11 times, you know a thing or two about it!)
@mspath has forgotten more about the Camino than I think I will ever know. A bow of appreciation for your open-handed sharing! It enriches us all.

As do these brain-teasers, @jungleboy .
We look forward to #5. 😁🙏;)

1. Mural: I know that it is on the Camino Francés. In one of the earlier sections. Seen photos. Never saw it in real life.
  2. Romanesque-Mudéjar church: Stood exactly on the same spot where the photo was taken. Looked at exactly the same round arches.
  3. City walls: May have seen them. May have walked around that corner. Is there a tiny portal in the wall to the left where you can walk through? But would have to look at photos/Google to be certain.
  4. Unhappy looking fellows. Did I see that pattern anywhere? No recollection.
  5. Location of church: Is it really on the Camino Francés? Then I would regret not having looked at it more closely. Although ... wait a minute ... nah ... can't be. Did the church I am thinking of have that many windows? Is this photo a mirror image?
How's that for a reply? 🙃

My guess would be that the first letter of the name of the towns is once in the first half of the alphabet and three times in the second half of the alphabet with one unknown.
I know a couple of the answers but I think yours is the best Camino reply. A reminder that the details aren't the most important thing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back