• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

R.I.P Léonard Tandeau de Marsac. Co-founder of l’Hospitalité St Jacques, Estaing. (Voie du Puy)

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Leonard and Elisabeth Tandeau de Marsac.  Photo by  Denis Meyer. Hans Lucas pour La Vie.jpg
Léonard and Élisabeth Tandeau de Marsac.
photo by Denis Meyer/Hans Lucas pour La Vie.

It is with sorrow that I share with you all the passing of M. Léonard Tandeau de Marsac on Saturday January 14, 2023. Léonard was co-founder of l’Hospitalité St Jacques in the village of Estaing (Voie du Puy) . Over the years many of us here on the forum will have found refuge with Léonard and his wife Élisabeth and had the pleasure of meeting others in the community about them.

I have such fine memories of my times in Estaing. Perhaps you do too - dining en famille; listening to the beauty of sung prayers in an old room with dark wooden paneling, parquet floor and stained glass windows; the pleasure of playing on a little white piano in the childrens' knook; listening wide eyed as Léonard recounted how it was that he and his family came to establish l’Hospitalité St Jacques; the wonder of it all, that one of their children was actually born on 25 July, 4 months after Léonard and family had walked into Santiago de Compostelle, and, being a boy, there really was only one name for him and that was Jacques! Thank you Léonard and Élisabeth for your hospitality...

Offering my sincere condolences to the family and friends of Léonard Tandeau de Marsac
-Lovingkindness

Leonard2.png
l’Hospitalité St Jacques, Estaing

Here are links to an interview of Léonard and Élisabeth Tandeau de Marsac, a eulogy and an anouncement ( in french):

*On welcoming strangers, an interview: Léonard and Élisabeth Tandeau de Marsac (20/03/2019)

*“We are sad to announce the death of Léonard Tandeau de Marsac, Saturday January 14, 2023, who welcomed pilgrims to Estaing with his wife Elisabeth. Together Léonard and Élisabeth created the l’Hospitalité St Jacques in 1992..." Webcompostella

*Eulogy prepared by friends of Léonard Tandeau de Marsac:

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It is with sorrow that I share with you all the passing of M. Léonard Tandeau de Marsac on Saturday January 14, 2023. Léonard was co-founder of l’Hospitalité St Jacques in the village of Estaing (Voie du Puy) . Over the years many of us here on the forum will have found refuge with Léonard and his wife Élisabeth and had the pleasure of meeting others in the community about them.

This is very sad. As noted, until Laurie's book I didn't appreciate just how long the history was for l’Hospitalité St Jacques. That would have counted as an early arriver on the Camino Francés; on the Via Podiensis, though, it truly stood at the forefront of the resurgence of pilgrim hospitality. And to sustain that for more than three decades! Just a remarkable service to pilgrims and an amazing record to leave behind.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back