• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

R.I.P Pierre Soulages

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
R.I.P. Pierre Soulages, abstract artist commissioned in 1986 to create 104 stained glass windows for the Romanesque abbey of Sainte-Foy at Conques - a place where pilgrims repose along the Voie du Puy.

´´Delicately complementing the hues of the surrounding stone, they fulfilled Soulages’ aim of creating a diffuse light: “A living light, you might say, held in the glass itself.”

Glimpses of the windows at night....

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
R.I.P. Pierre Soulages, abstract artist commissioned in 1986 to create 104 stained glass windows for the Romanesque abbey of Sainte-Foy at Conques - a place where pilgrims repose along the Voie du Puy.

´´Delicately complementing the hues of the surrounding stone, they fulfilled Soulages’ aim of creating a diffuse light: “A living light, you might say, held in the glass itself.”

Lovingkindness,

Thank you for sharing the obituary of Pierre Soulages May he be at peace.

For those who love Romanesque architecture/historic restoration to stay at the Abbey of Saint Foy/ Abbatiale Sainte-Foy, Conques, and slowly visit these structures is always a splendid experience. My last visit was in winter 2012 ; bitter cold but there were no other visitors. My husband and I were taken through the abbey to see these Soulages windows with the Abbot. All was and remains unforgetable.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I echo Jas_LB and others, thank you so much for sharing this. How wonderful that we can see his windows still.

As Soulages made his home in Sète, France, the same place as the town's native poet Paul Valéry, I cannot help but wondering how their lives might have overlapped and whether he ever thought of Valéry's famous poem "The Seaside Cemetery" - perhaps as an inspiration and finally a benediction. RIP Monsieur Soulages.

That sea forever starting and re-starting.
When thought has had its hour, oh how rewarding
Are the long vistas of celestial calm!

Will always remain in our memories.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful sight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Merci pour ce bel éloge.... I stayed two days in Congues and wish I had stayed an extra day without concern for another pilgrim. The time spent in the abbatiale was truly very special.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back