• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Rabanal to Cruz de Ferro, walk on road?

Scott from Seattle

Time of past OR future Camino
2020, Sep 30, Camino Frances
I have sprained my ankle and find it very difficult to walk on the paths. I do fine on the paved road, so my question is do you think I can use the road to get from Rabanal to Cruz de Ferro? Thanks! Scott

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Scott,
Yes you can. I have done so several times. Just follow route LE 142 walking on the verges facing traffic. The road route will be slightly longer than the path. However do be sure that your ankle can take the strain of walking.

Good luck and Carpe diem

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have sprained my ankle and find it very difficult to walk on the paths. I do fine on the paved road, so my question is do you think I can use the road to get from Rabanal to Cruz de Ferro? Thanks! Scott
Hi, with a sprained ankle please do not attempt the decent down towards Molinaseca. The decent is very steep and extremely rough and rocky. If raining treacherous.
The decent could ruin your Camino.
I wish you well and sincerely hope you arrive safely in Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think the worst part is the ongoing Camino past Cruz de Ferro. Very rocky and steep. You may want to arrange for a taxi to Molinaseca from CdF.
Last week I walked that tricky path about half way and then walked on the road to Molonesca. It is the same distance at least but it was an enjoyable walk and there are several opportunities to rejoin the path if you wish to. Just watch out for a turnoff (which I missed and ended up having a longer walk)

Scott,
Yes you can. I have done so several times. Just follow route LE 142 walking on the verges facing traffic. The road route will be slightly longer than the path. However do be sure that your ankle can take the strain of walking.

Good luck and Carpe diem
Thank you!

I typically mix and match on that particular section.

Some parts of the trail up there are fine even with bad ankles.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here's the path a few hours past the Cruz de Ferro. As the others have said, not for a walk with a bad ankle. Buen Camino.

Attachments

• IMG_3906.JPG
    IMG_3906.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3927.JPG
    IMG_3927.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
In 2005, my Compañero Anton insisted that we should take the road (to be entirely fair, that was an enforced 50K day outside his expectation), but I was eventually forced to drag him back onto the trail over an open muddy field, trail was just that much better than tarmac on that section.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes definitely I had similar problem with my ankle last year and using the road made it so much more bearable Keith

Back