• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

'Race' to secure a bed

Donna Hayler

Time of past OR future Camino
I have recently returned from walking the first stage of the Camino - SJPP to Burgos (mid Sept). The Camino was very busy and I felt a real dilemma in taking my time verses almost rushing to my destination to secure a bed. I am planning to go back out in mid April (Easter) to complete the Camino - will it be as busy?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
April is ahead of the really busy season, but Easter is busy, particularly the last 100km. April usually is about the same as September/October.

Did you ever not find a bed?

I always say- the Camino is getting crowded every year. Book ahead at private albergues. This will enable you to walk slower, more mileage, enjoy your walk, start later, better accomodations, many serve dinner-a better dinner then the pilgrim's simple menu at the restaurants.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wouldn't bother booking personally. I did a 51 day walk with the north and the French routes, through April and May. Only once did I find that I couldn't get a room at the municipal. And that was Sarria where all the 5-dayers pile in. Other than that there is such an enormous quantity of albergues along the route and - as falcon said - April is ahead of season, that you should be OK more or less anywhere. I quite like rocking up in a town and looking for somewhere to stay. We often had more amusing and unique experiences at the secondary options anyway!

I stopped in Hontanas a couple of weeks ago while walking the Meseta-- around 6 Oct (2013) 4:30pm. Not a lot of people behind or in front of me. However, both albergues I saw had the FULL sign posted. I think that "shoulder season" is more about which albergues are actually open and how many beds they have to offer.

I agree with the remark on the flexibility of reserving at a private albergue. Totally understand whoever is not a fan, but for us who really have no choice, the trade off is a slower pace at a much better mood ;). I have to say I loved talking to other pilgrims while on the trail, shared and had a lot of meals with pilgrims. Almost invariably the conversation centered around how many Kms/day, how bad/well they slept, how loud was the snoring on the last albergue, chance of bed bugs, and how clean/unclean were the showers. Everybody knew the crowd on the Race to the Beds. Hey, it's their pilgrimage-- there will be a lesson on that as well. In due time ;).

I stopped in Hontanas a couple of weeks ago while walking the Meseta-- around 6 Oct (2013) 4:30pm. Not a lot of people behind or in front of me. However, both albergues I saw had the FULL sign posted. I think that "shoulder season" is more about which albergues are actually open and how many beds they have to offer.

I agree with the remark on the flexibility of reserving at a private albergue. Totally understand whoever is not a fan, but for us who really have no choice, the trade off is a slower pace at a much better mood ;). I have to say I loved talking to other pilgrims while on the trail, shared and had a lot of meals with pilgrims. Almost invariably the conversation centered around how many Kms/day, how bad/well they slept, how loud was the snoring on the last albergue, chance of bed bugs, and how clean/unclean were the showers. Everybody knew the crowd on the Race to the Beds. Hey, it's their pilgrimage-- there will be a lesson on that as well. In due time ;).

Probably walk the caminho Portuges ! Less people walking, no problems finding a bed, beautifull trails and very kind people you meet .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walk in April every year. I never had a problem getting a bed. As Falcon mentioned there are sections of the Camino that get crowded over Easter week and the last 100 km's.

Judging by what is above it varies quite a bit - we went St Jean to Santiago in April/May 2013 - after the first third of the trip we wised up to the fact that it was a good idea to ask the people running the alberque or whatever if they would mind phoning ahead for us: to our chosen place or one they suggested. That worked really well; both for alberques and what I suppose you would call pensions.
Hontanas! will never forget it! rain and mud all the way across the plain. Tired and sore came straggling down the main drag - and thank God a mate who was ahead had cornered a couple of beds for us. They had none left at all. Couple of bus tours with Koreans had snagged most of it.
By the time we got to Galicia we were a bit trigger happy with the phone ahead requests. But it did not spoil things one bit - just something to be done.

Walked Frances May 10th to June 10th the year, with birthday party for a few days in Burgos. :oops: No accommodation problems except in Casrojeriz where there were problems due to a large albergue being closed (apparently due the hospitalero being ill). I was OK though. Having said that it can be a good idea to go "off piste" and avoid the main stopping places in the guides. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I started October 5th from Pamplona, and I walk incredibly slow so I often don't get to my destination until well after 3, and there have been a few days I haven't arrived until closer to six. I've never had a problem getting a bed, but I was told that had I left just a few weeks earlier (mid September) it would have been a different story. I'm thankful that is not the case.

To avoid the bed race, I think October is a good time.

I walked in April/May of this year (left SJPDP April 2nd). I am not remotely a fast walker. In the entire 34 days of walking, the only time I was turned away from an albergue was in Villafranca del Bierzo, and I am pretty sure there were spaces in one of the other albergues in town (I stopped at the last one and rather than walk back up that hill, I pushed on Pereje.) Lots of nights, the rooms were half full (and sometimes less).

The advice about skipping the guidebook stopping points is good.

As Falcon mentioned, Easter week is busier though.

We walked this year starting September 5 in St. Jean. Roncevalles was overflowing and, because the Albergue in Larrasoana was closed, ALL of the beds in Zubiri were booked. No room even on the floor of the gym. No rooms at the 1 hotel. We had to call ahead, reserve and take a cab 10k ahead. VERY distressing after two days of a hard (but beautiful) walk. Unfortunately it then (almost) became a race to find a bed each day. We just couldn't buy into that panic atmosphere and started to make reservations at casa rurals, private albergues and small hotels. Even then it wasn't possible to find a bed in the village of Atupuerca. Oh, and BTW, even if you do reserve at a private albergue, you then have to CONFIRM that day before 2 or they will give your reservation away. We found that out the hard way!
I am sure that it was precisely the wrong time to start, it was perfect weather in September; but for one's own piece of mind, reserving ahead if you can is much better than trying to "beat" your fellow pilgrims. For us, in the end it is all about the wonderful people and new friends you meet and not about wanting to compete.
Next time, maybe October and some slightly heavier clothes?
Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I started October 5th from Pamplona, and I walk incredibly slow so I often don't get to my destination until well after 3, and there have been a few days I haven't arrived until closer to six. I've never had a problem getting a bed, but I was told that had I left just a few weeks earlier (mid September) it would have been a different story. I'm thankful that is not the case.

To avoid the bed race, I think October is a good time.
I started in Roncesvalles on September 24 th and I did not encounter a single full albergue. I did make 3 reservations, but none of them were really necessary I agree that October is a good time to do the Camino.

My understanding is you can't reserve a bed in the State run albergues but the private ones you can, am I correct?

Hi ryan1son, yes, you are correct , mainly. Municipal albergues don't tend to take reservations. Some private albergues will take reservations, but some will not. I know this from last September, when we got fed up with the perceived pressure to arrive somewhere at a reasonable time, or not get a bed, that led to us feeling hurried along. After a few days we gave up booking ahead, and always got a bed, but sometimes it was in a pension or Casa rural.
One other thing to bear in mind, is that new albergues are opening up that may not be in any guides. And they can be a lovely surprise :)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have recently returned from walking the first stage of the Camino - SJPP to Burgos (mid Sept). The Camino was very busy and I felt a real dilemma in taking my time verses almost rushing to my destination to secure a bed. I am planning to go back out in mid April (Easter) to complete the Camino - will it be as busy?
This year summer and autumn months were more crowded due to very rainy spring I guess. So you'll have no major problems finding a bed in April, except for Easter and especially for Easter from Sarria on if you're planning to get that far.

Ultreia!

I hiked the Camino Frances from St. Jean Pied du Port in late September, 2013 to Santiago, early November, 2013. There was absolutely no need to race for a bed. There were always accomodation options. At times a place would be closed or full, but there were always plenty of alternatives. We stayed in municipal albergues, private albergues, casa rurals, and hostals. A willingness to stay in a variety of accomodations opens the likelihood that a nice alternative will fall in your lap. We usually had a vague idea how far we would walk in a day, but we often walked a shorter or farther distance. The Camino allows for that flexiblity without make reservations when doing that Camino in Fall.

I walked my first stage from Pamplona to Castrojeriz last two weeks of March and had no problems getting a bed. Walked the second stage from Burgos to Santiago starting September 7th and once again, never had a problem getting a bed. Apart from the odd couple of days I never did what we called Brierly days. Always mid point of one of his sections to midpoint of his next. I found that in some of those mid areas there were albergues not mentioned in his guide. At least two in Melide for instance, both large modern and clean. When I did see albergues fill up it was usually around 5pm but I was always well finished by that time. My only problem with September is the mornings getting darker so I missed a lot of scenery in the dark.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I ask again, because these types of posts, this one a lone post from one pilgrim, cause a lot of anxiety for other pilgrims, so it is essential to know if there was a problem for you, or just a perception.:)

We all are anxious, and that anxiety can be helped with facts, facts that support or contradict the perception of crowding.

I am glad to see that Falcon continues to ask the question if you got a bed or just perceived their may be no beds. I walked May 5 - June 5, 2013. I must admit that each day I set off with no reservations and was nervous each day. We started each day at 7:30am and stopped by 2:30pm. We stopped for a quick snack/bocadillo but did not stop for a full lunch. We pushed on. I prayed a daily prayer to have a roof over my head each evening. I always got a bed.

Now that I am home, ironically I think the best thing that could have happened to me was NOT to get a bed for a night. I would have learned that it is not the worst thing to happen in life. It would have taught me lessons that I did not learn. I suspect I would have learned that God provides even if is it not what I asked/prayed for. I suspect I would have learned that I am not in control and that is ok. I suspect I would have learned to accept help from others.

We did not make reservations but I understand the want/need to. My husband told me at the conclusion of our walk that he liked the "Mary and Joseph" experience. Each day we set out with all of our belongings and hoped/prayed for a play to stay. The bible has 365 "fear not" or "do not be afraid" statements - one for each day. The Camino is a time to trust that. I wish I had done a better job at that.

Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Buen Camino my friends.

On a very practical note, one of the lessons I did learn was not to listen to other pilgrims. They have the best intentions but often their information about beds was not correct. Always try to talk with a hopitalario or the local bar. They know.

For example, in Ages the first alburgue filled, the second filled and when the 3rd (municipal) filled the hospitalio told the pilgrims to go back to #2 alburgue and tell them that #3 has filled and they need to open the over flow space. The towns are very experienced with handling the high flow of pilgrims. Many of the towns seem to have a method of how they fill beds. In this case above, pilgrims were telling arriving pilgrims there are NO beds which was not true.

Another example: When I was in Burgos I met some pilgrims on their way home. As we were about to start the Meseta I was quite anxious. I was afraid it would be too hot, not enough water, etc. The wife of the couple we met on their way home filled my head with bad stories of race for beds, etc. I wish I would have asked her Falcon's question - Did you get a bed? I think her answer would have been yes or I would have heard worst stories than she told.

I kindly ask experienced pilgrims, including those on their way home, to speak words of encouragement to the new pilgrims. Can you remember your first time as a pilgrim? There likely were times of high anxiety. A kind word of encouragement can make all of the difference for a positive experience.

Buen Camino my friends.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I usually aim to arrive in Santiago mid July. I have never had a problem with finding a bed. EXCEPT once on the camino del Norte in August.

I ask again, because these types of posts, this one a lone post from one pilgrim, cause a lot of anxiety for other pilgrims, so it is essential to know if there was a problem for you, or just a perception.:)

We all are anxious, and that anxiety can be helped with facts, facts that support or contradict the perception of crowding.

I walked from May 1 to June 14 2012 and the first three days with anxiety from SJPDP. I missed out at the Municipal Albergue in Pamplona by one person. I decided that I did NOT want to have any anxiety associated with worrying about accommodations so I bought a SIM card for my Samsung Android and called one day in advance to reserve at a private albergue. There were times when I had to cancel and did so before 1pm, and also had to call to let the albergue know I would be late in arriving. From that day on I never ever worried or felt rushed to get anywhere. I stopped and explored the villages along the way longer, had a few more cafe con leches along the way, and was able to meet more people as a result.
I will be walking my second camino next year August/Sept 2014 and will do exactly the same thing. It's a no brainer.
P.S. some people I met didn't have a phone but when they got to their albergue that night, they asked the hospitaleria to call ahead to a recommended albergue for them. That seemed to work for several other people as well.
Buen Camino

This year summer and autumn months were more crowded due to very rainy spring I guess. So you'll have no major problems finding a bed in April, except for Easter and especially for Easter from Sarria on if you're planning to get that far.

Ultreia!
I walked from May 1 to June 14. Not too much rain on my days and when it did I stayed at the albergues as long as I could and by 9am the rain ALWAYS pettered off or stopped. I had only one problem with one full albergue in Pamplona, the muni one...but because of the anxiety and my desire to eliminate that from my life I started to book in advance. A few times I booked two days in advance. I always called to confirm I'd be there by a certain time and if I was going to be late I called again. Easy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
April is ahead of the really busy season, but Easter is busy, particularly the last 100km. April usually is about the same as September/October.

How about May? I plan to start from Sahagun on April 30.

May is still OK. As the number of pilgrims increases each year, May, September, and October get busier. Still, you won't have a problem finding a bed until later in the year, and in the last 100km.

I did different camino's but not the frances. On my caminos I never experienced a good reason to race for a bed.
A few times a question passed here on this forum which isn't really answered yet; who did really experience in person a real problem with beds, which means who did not find a bed in the village of choice or within let's say 5 kms. Who?
I really never heard anyone having to sleep outside... Did anyone experience that?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did different camino's but not the frances. On my caminos I never experienced a good reason to race for a bed.
A few times a question passed here but isn't really answer yet; who did really experience in person a real problem with beds, who did not find a bed in the village or within let's say 5 kms. Who?
I really never heard anyone having to sleep outside..

My first experience with a shortage with beds was in late July 2013 in Villfranca del Bierzo, the municipal was almost full, 60 of the 80 beds at Fenix were reserved by a group, and 15 of 32 beds at de la Piedra as well, I got there around 1530 and got the last bed there, earlier that morning the municipal and Fenix were bug bombed that morning due to bedbugs, others who got there later had to take a taxi to Pereje.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My first experience with a shortage with beds was in late July 2013 in Villfranca del Bierzo, the municipal was almost full, 60 of the 80 beds at Fenix were reserved by a group, and 15 of 32 beds at de la Piedra as well, I got there around 1530 and got the last bed there, earlier that morning the municipal and Fenix were bug bombed that morning due to bedbugs, others who got there later had to take a taxi to Pereje.
Thanks for your reply Bajacer.
So I suppose the answer to my question is a no, you didn't experience this yourself.

If you are aiming for the donativo or municipal Albergues and getting into town in the late afternoon after 1700 you'll be in for a rude awakening, I've seen people get into hissy fits when they are told they are completo.
It only gets worse in the last 150km before Santiago.
It only becomes a race for the bed if you leave late and arrive late and aren't willing to stay at private Albergues or hostels/casa rural or other costlier
accomodations.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I always found a bed - so it was a perceived anxiety based on others who struggled to find a bed. However, the experience did take away from walking at a slower pace and stopping for longer to reflect on my journey. When I go again this Easter I will go with greater confidence in myself. Thank you for all the comments. Donna

Last edited:
Now that I am home, ironically I think the best thing that could have happened to me was NOT to get a bed for a night. I would have learned that it is not the worst thing to happen in life. It would have taught me lessons that I did not learn.
Unless you wait untill 9pm to sort your 'bedless' predicament out , all fears can be conqurered by allowing for an emergency kitty. The very worst that can happen is that it will cost you money to get out of a fix.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.