• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rail Europe BCN SANTS to Pamplona

Mark61

Time of past OR future Camino
4/16/18 start 5/18/18 finish
I'm flying in to Barcelona BCN terminal 2 on 4/10/18 at 15:35, I purchased (the above) route and the Rail leaves at 18:40 (arrives Pamplona 22:44). Is 3 hours enough time to go through landing/customs and make it to BCN SANTS? I'm carrying the backpack, so no baggage area time needed.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping to start the pilgrimage on the 11th from St Jean Pied

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ah Mark, I just replied to you on the other thread!

With that arrival time you will need an overnight somewhere - either Pamplona or Barcelona. At this time of year the ALSA bus to SJPDP leaves Pamplona at 14:30 and 17:30.

So with that tight time allowance for the train - if it were me and I had not already booked the rail ticket I would stay overnight in Barcelona and take the train the next day. There seem to be trains for Pamplona at 7:30, 9:30, 11:00 and 12:10, all of which arrive in Pamplona in time to catch the bus to SJPDP.

Plus Barcelona is fabulous and exploring Pamplona can be done on the walk through!

Ah Mark, I just replied to you on the other thread!

With that arrival time you will need an overnight somewhere - either Pamplona or Barcelona. At this time of year the ALSA bus to SJPDP leaves Pamplona at 14:30 and 17:30.

So with that tight time allowance for the train - if it were me and I had not already booked the rail ticket I would stay overnight in Barcelona and take the train the next day. There seem to be trains for Pamplona at 7:30, 9:30, 11:00 and 12:10, all of which arrive in Pamplona in time to catch the bus to SJPDP.

Plus Barcelona is fabulous and exploring Pamplona can be done on the walk through!

Oh well, I'll see how it goes from arrival. I'll stay in Pamplona and take an early bus to SJPDP. If all goes well on walk, I'll have an extra day to spend in Barcelona before coming back.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Arrived via your same flight (OAK/BCN) and was through immigration and non-existent customs in minutes - oddly fast! The terminal is “under renovation” and we were the only plane there at that time. Walked out the door and over to the RENFE train station in about ten minutes, arriving in downtown Barcelona less than one hour after landing! Crazy quick and easy!

You will have plenty of time; in fact, exit the station and grab some dinner and food to go from any of the multiple restaurants surrounding SANTS. Two things to note: catch the right train (express vs local) and toilets at the station are one euro...)

PS: We leave Barcelona in a few hours for Montserrat, then Manresa, Huesca, and finally start walking from Jaca - perhaps we’ll cross paths on the CF!

Last edited:
Arrived via your safe flight (OAK/BCN) and was through immigration and non-existent customs in minutes - oddly fast! The terminal is “under renovation” and we were the only plane there at that time. Walked out the door and over to the RENFE train station in about ten minutes, arriving in downtown Barcelona less than one hour after landing! Crazy quick and easy!

You will have plenty of time; in fact, exit the station and grab some dinner and food to go from any of the multiple restaurants surrounding SANTS. Two things to note: catch the right train (express vs local) and toilets at the station are one euro...)

PS: We leave Barcelona in a few hours for Montserrat, then Manresa, Huesca, and finally start walking from Jaca - perhaps we’ll cross paths on the CF!

Thanks for the info! I will grab some dinner. BTW- when I walk to the RENFE (10 mins from plane) will I find my train there, or will I have to go downtown Barcelona and catch the train to Pamplona?

The “R2 NORD” train at the airport takes you downtown (less than 5€) - it’s a tiny station compared to the huge one SANTS.

You’ll exit the terminal, turn right and walk a few minutes, re-enter the next building, up some stairs, down an elevated hallway and then down stairs to the station. Follow the R2 Nord RENFE signs - there are other options but this is the easiest to get to where you are going (and I literally just did it days ago!)

Ticket machines have English settings and take credit cards (I used the orangish machines on the left - the older ones on the right wouldn’t work for me). If you need Euros, there’s a booth as you exit “customs” but I’d only do a few dollars until I found an ATM.

Last edited:
When your flight approaches Barcelona, check out the snow on the Pyrenees... it may cause you to reconsider SJPP!

Hello Mark,
You will find the transit connection from the airport to Sants Station quite easy. The train departs from Terminal 2 at the airport. When you get to Terminal 2, follow the signs for RENFE, the Spanish train network. The train only goes in one direction from the platform as the airport is the terminus (with about three departures every hour). Here is the schedule: http://rodalies.gencat.cat/es/horaris/. Once at the entrance to the trains, you can use the machine to purchase a T-10 card for about 10 euros. It is good for ten rides (can be used by multiple users) and can be used on all subways, buses, trains, trams in the city. You can take that train directly to Sants Station where you will need to purchase a ticket for your trip to Pamplona. Here is the schedule for today (08/04/2018): https://www.renfe.com. Happy Walking!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Mark,
You will find the transit connection from the airport to Sants Station quite easy. The train departs from Terminal 2 at the airport. When you get to Terminal 2, follow the signs for RENFE, the Spanish train network. The train only goes in one direction from the platform as the airport is the terminus (with about three departures every hour). Here is the schedule: http://rodalies.gencat.cat/es/horaris/. Once at the entrance to the trains, you can use the machine to purchase a T-10 card for about 10 euros. It is good for ten rides (can be used by multiple users) and can be used on all subways, buses, trains, trams in the city. You can take that train directly to Sants Station where you will need to purchase a ticket for your trip to Pamplona. Here is the schedule for today (08/04/2018): https://www.renfe.com. Happy Walking!
Thanks Lindam.

The T-10 ride credits are good for a year, so sane it for when you return! If you just buy the RENFE fair, it’s 4.5€!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back