• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rail journey - Lisbon to Vigo via Porto

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Took the train the other direction, south from Vigo to Porto, then on to Lisboa at the end of my CP in 2018. It was a wonderful experience and gave me another day in Porto (which I went through in a hurry on my way to Santiago). I spent two more days wandering around Lisboa (and coulda/shoulda stayed for a week -- lots of history and lots to see). Riding the train was a great way to see the countryside from another perspective and reflect a bit on my Camino. Highly recommend it if time allows.

Ah the memories. As that article describes, until 2020 there was a night train from Lisbon to Madrid and vice versa. I took it once, on my way to the Salvador/Primitivo from Lisbon, I think, and it was really a fun way to travel — I splurged on a private compartment and had dinner in the dining car at a table with linen tablecloths. No doubt it cost many times more than what the discount airlines charge today!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah the memories. As that article describes, until 2020 there was a night train from Lisbon to Madrid and vice versa. I took it once, on my way to the Salvador/Primitivo from Lisbon, I think, and it was really a fun way to travel — I splurged on a private compartment and had dinner in the dining car at a table with linen tablecloths. No doubt it cost many times more than what the discount airlines charge today!
Agreed Laurie, the memories!
We took the night train from Hendaye/Irun to Lisbon in 2016 to start the Caminho Portuguese.
We had flown to Scotland to see family first, then took the Eurostar from London to Paris, changed from the Gare du Nord to Gare Montparnasse for the TGV to Hendaye, then walked through the station into Irun, Spain and climbed aboard the night train to Lisbon which departed about 6.30pm. We had a double bunk sleeping compartment with ensuite. The beds were very comfortable. But when they were down we had to put our luggage in the shower room! It was a good trip, arriving in Lisbon at 7.30am. Only a buffet car, with few choices on board, which required cash, wouldn’t take card, so we didn’t have much to eat!
Sad that this is no longer running.

The Portuguese and Spanish railway systems are working on getting these routes going again. Given the current emphasis on rail travel through Europe, the Portuguese particularly are very keen to be linked to routes outside the Iberian peninsula. As you can imagine, Spain sees it as lower down its own rail-budget priorities. But there is supposed to be a night-train link, one at least, by summer 2023. We'll see what happens!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back