• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rail Pass Information

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
While going through some photos from my 2014 Camino, I found this photo I had taken on the back of a seat, while on a bus to Sahagun. This seems like a great price for a rail pass if someone wanted to explore Galicia either before or after their Camino! Has anyone tried it?

Attachments

• IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Conditions this year are/have been different. For a summary, take a look at http://ssl.renfe.com/Abonos/GaliciaRailPass_ES.html and for more detailed info at http://web02.renfe.es/u52/cav/AgenWeb.snf/V007P/8D722074C232D3B0C1257CC1002FCAC3/$file/GRP.pdf.

As both links are in Spanish, I'll made a summary: this year, the pass is valid for 7 days but you just can use it 3 days (i.e.: you can use it a maximum of 3 days in a 7 days period). From June to September (both included) you can travel any day of the week but the rest of the year you just can travel on week-ends. To get the pass you need to have a long distance train ticket to Galicia (for a date not more than 30 days before the purchase of the pass) or a Compostela issued (at the name of the person who is getting the pass) no more than 60 days before the pass purchase or a ticket in one of the tourist trains of the list that you can see on the second list I provided (on page two, third point of the first chart on that page). The price this year is 15 Euros for adults (3 Euros for childs).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We bought 'Jubilados' passes for the FEVE which then entitled us to half price fares. It is now all part of RENFE so is a Tarjeta Dorada, not the old Tarjeta Azul. The price for the main RENFE network may be different and it all may change each year. It is worth checking on the RENFE site (More operations) which also has details of the other types of passes too.

The RENFE Tarjeta Dorado is 6 euros and gives: 40% discount on AVE Mondays to Thursdays, 25% Fridays to Sundays, 40% on medium distance trains all week; 25% on En Avant trains Mondays to Fridays and 40% at weekends.

15 euros? The photo says 45.

The photo says 49 Euros but that was back in 2014 when the pass was valid for 10 days. On 2015, the pass is valid just for 3 days within a 10 days period and costs 15 Euros. On 2016... Who knows if the pass will be still on sale (and if it is, what will be its rules)!

If there is a discount for children is there also one for over 60s?

On 2015, it doesn't seem so.

P.S.: Regarding the tarjeta dorada, be aware it excludes most other discounts offered by RENFE so sometimes there are cheaper alternatives. For example, a promo fare ticket on an AVE can give you a discount of up to 70%... but they might be already sold out if you try to get them last minute.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back