• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rail strike

• Thread starter Deleted member 59555
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 59555

Arriving CDG from New Zealand on the 8th April to travel to SJPDP on the 9th by train already booked 8am out of Montparnais. there are two of us what do you think we should do.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Arriving CDG from New Zealand on the 8th April to travel to SJPDP on the 9th by train already booked 8am out of Montparnais. there are two of us what do you think we should do.

Pray and take your chances! The rr workers are planning to strike ad hoc on the lines during the spring. There is no official list of when and what trains will be blocked. If your train is blocked in all probability another train will be offered you. As of now 3 TGV trains are listed as running on the regular Paris/Montparnasse to Bayonne schedule for April 9 at 07:52, 09:52 and 12:52.

Try not to worry; often in the past long distance trains were the last to be cancelled.

If the connecting local TER train from Bayonne to SJPdP is on strike in all probabily a bus will be provided.

For more re the strikes in English see -- https://www.thelocal.fr/20180316/fr...-are-the-37-days-to-avoid-travelling-by-train

Last edited:
I have a ticket on the same train, and also have concerns.

The reality is that this could all be a bunch of puffery by the parties, and not much will happen, or it could deteriorate into a general strike tying up Paris for weeks, or anything in between. My contingency plan is to fly, although the air traffic controllers have been known to walk off as well!

The camino begins, this time weeks before departure. we don't know what will happen, nobody does. I'm going to watch the news, and deal with the facts on the ground when I have to, rather than worrying too much about things I can't control. With any luck, we'll be on that train. Either way, there will be a way to get south at some point. The Camino provides.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Chances are, if the strike holds, there will be others in your position.
Years ago, we were scheduled to take a ferry to Ireland, and needed to get to the dock from Mont Saint Michele - a several hour train ride. There was a rail strike and we met a couple in the station going to the same place so we just shared a taxi.

Hi,
Easy Jet has a flight at 2:40 pm out of CDG on 4/8 to Biarritz for 105 euros (80 if you only have a carry-on) - arriving at 4:05 p.m. You can book a ride from the airport www.expressbourricot.com .

The opposite happened to us 4/9/15 - we had a flight from Paris to Biarritz reserved and there was an air traffic control strike. We ended up on a train. Only first class tickets left and no reserved seats. We were lucky to find a pull down seat between cars (many others were not so lucky). It was the first memorable day of many, and I would not change a thing.

However, it's always good to have a back up plan . . . . if you do decide to fly and you are going to check your packs, make sure you pay for your bags and print your boarding passes online because Easy Jet has a lot of hidden costs.

Buen Camino. The Camino is stunning in April.

Attachments

• Day 1  first class.JPG
    Day 1 first class.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Day 2.JPG
    Day 2.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 36
You could used BlaBlaCar in France, cheap and safe
GoodLuck

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just purchased a bus ticket from Bordeaux to Bayonne for April 4. A number of busses were already booked, so I'm glad I did this now. I went ahead and bought a connecting train ticket from Bayonne to SJPdP (couldn't really find a bus option), and am now just hoping for the best. I have a prepaid hotel in SJPdP for April 4 through Booking.com that says it's non-refundable and not changeable... but I told the hotel staff which train I'm on and will hope for the best if I do get stuck in Bayonne for the 4th instead of SJPdP. I can work out the accommodations, no problem. I just didn't want to burn one of the extra nights built into my itinerary trying to get to the start line. Good luck!

Terry in my experience of French rail strikes (several!) they don't normally stop all trains. There will usually be a few still running to cover main routes, but not necessarily at the time you have booked. I would go ahead anyway, keep checking the SNCF website for info on services running, and plan to get to the station early and wait around if necessary. I vividly remember once many years ago waiting in a crowd for a train from Paris to somewhere on a strike day and when the platform number went up indicating the train was ready for boarding everyone started running! I'm sure it won't be that bad...!

For some routes like the one from Bayonne to SJPdP they may put on replacement buses, but again maybe not for all the normal train times. Ditto the website. If you can allow yourself the time and not worry if it takes you a little longer to get there, you will be fine. And you get to add to your French vocab: a strike is une grève!

Bonne chance from a fellow kiwi, and buen Camino!

Usually, most intercity trains and many (not all) of the TGV still run during a strike, but the local train up to SJPP may be more affected.

It really depends on just how bad this particular strike will be though.

You'll manage to get there somehow, just make sure that if you need to switch to another train, try to get to it early to try and ensure seating -- failing that, get quick to the bar carriage to grab one of the seats there before anyone else. Not the most comfortable, but certainly better than the fold-out ones at the ends of the carriages.

Bonne chance, et bon pélé !!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In September 2016 we arrived at Bayonne station to be faced with a train strike. There were a few other pilgrims looking around so we rounded up enough to share two taxis to St Jean. The taxi rank is outside the station and there is a phone number on a board to call if there are no taxis waiting. I think it worked out about 30 euros each with 4 passengers.

There is local information available in English here: https://en.oui.sncf/en/train/strike .There is a link where you can check whether your train will be running, but it may only work if you booked your ticket directly through their (English) website.
I booked mine through their French website and had to go there to check it out. Seems to be still running (22 March - when there is another big spike to enable the drivers to participate in a huge demonstration in Paris).

In June 2016, there was a strike, the TGV was not affected, just some local trains. We were stuck in Bayonne for a couple of hours, but buses were provided.

I am due to arrive in Paris at CDG end of May with two friends and we have recently made our train reservations to Le Puy to start our walk. I have just been informed by one of them who is on the FB Le Puy group that there is a train strike coming in April. She sent me a screenshot photo of the months of April, May and June, showing blue circles covering many of the dates of travel. Looks like our travel date will be ok, but we are not sure going back to the airport a month later.

Is this strike a sure thing? Do they ever end early? I never use trains in the US so am rather clueless on all this. Oh, and do they give ticket refunds in these situations? Thanks for any input.

Train strikes in France are like Blue Moons and kindnesses: sometimes they happen - sometimes they don't. Strikes advertised well in advance are the ones that usually don't whereas surprise ones are always a surprise.

The networks seldom close down for more than 24 hours. Its best to check a few days before travel.

Can't help on refunds. UK law ( mostly EC law) says 'yes'. SNCF (owned by the French state) may have a marginally different view. Tickets will always be valid on the next available train.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Train strikes in France are like Blue Moons and kindnesses: sometimes they happen - sometimes they don't. Strikes advertised well in advance are the ones that usually don't whereas surprise ones are always a surprise.

The networks seldom close down for more than 24 hours. Its best to check a few days before travel.

Can't help on refunds. UK law ( mostly EC law) says 'yes'. SNCF (owned by the French state) may have a marginally different view. Tickets will always be valid on the next available train.
Thank you! Tinky, you have made me much less troubled. I will sleep better tonight...lol!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've just merged these two threads. Hope all the posts still make sense. There seems no point in separate discussions.

Due to a wildcat train strike in France one year (on a local line) my husband would have missed our international flight home but for the quick action of the station manager, who shoved him into the drivers cab of a mainline train just leaving. So we now always made sure we arrive at our departure city the day before. That gives us 24 hours extra, just in case something goes wrong.

And I agree with @Tincatinker - in both Spain and France the strikes you know about are not the problem!

Hi Suzyq.. was the shuttle something you need to book in advance and is it from the Airport or Bayonne? Thanks
They picked up at the airport. I can't remember the transport, but we paid $40 cash. I can contact my friend who booked us if you can't find a shuttle van.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Vive la France! When traveling there, especially on trains, always allow extra time for things like this. Strikes like discussed above are just part of the local culture. Remember, it is not personal. Enjoy the cultural experience. Go with the flow...

Today was the first big day of the strike season, and it seems that about a third of the rail employees followed it -- the % will probably get lower ongoing, but even so, it seems likely that long-distance trains should be not too badly reduced on strike days (with some regional variations probably), whilst local trains more likely will be.

Our local bus company was not affected by the strike at all BTW, though the postal delivery seems to have been.

So these matters are likely to be quite variable from place to place and from day to day. For those seeking local transport from say Biarritz to SJPP, thing is I guess to look for more local reports.

Take note -- 3 of the June strike days are the day after France will be playing in the World Cup, so those particular travel dates should be more seriously avoided, though the morning and day before the matches should probably be OK (BTW the whole country basically ground to a standstill the evening and day after France matches when France both hosted and won the competition). No French teams left in the UEFA Champions League though means that those dates are safer, though the first 2 days of the quarter finals are strike days. 13th April should probably be avoided though as it's a strike day on the morrow of Marseilles' Europa League return game.

(this all might sound silly to many people in here, but it's long been a facet of French life that when a strike coincides with an important football match, there are more people on strike than otherwise ; though this does vary regionally and locally)

caveat though, this is not a strike purely motivated by football, so that choosing travel dates based on non-playing days won't necessarily work -- but I would still suggest that 13th April, and 17th, 22nd and 27th June should be avoided. Probably much of the month of May too, as not only is it the 50th anniversary of Mai 68, quite apart from being THE traditional strike month, but some people have been making it quite clear that they want to have a more serious go than usual at protesting the French Government. Plus all of the usual May Bank Holidays.

Last edited:
The rail worker unions have been making some threats about toughening their action, and yesterday was pretty bad it seems, with some major conflict between strikers and riot police.

Be advised, and be prepared.

I am not as concerned about our train reservation from CDG to Le Puy on May 31st, but am becoming concerned about leaving to go back to CDG from Moissac on June 27th to fly home on the 28th. I cannot miss my flight! Moissac, other than train service, does not seem to have bus service. On Rome2Rio, it seems every option starts out with train service from Moissac. I even wonder about the possibility of taking a taxi back to Cahors as it's a larger city, so maybe more options doing that?

If I can "trust" the strike schedule of blackout dates, I could end my camino a day earlier in Moissac, then head to my airport hotel a day earlier by train, spending two nights there. But then I'd have a boring dead day at the hotel. I've been to Paris before and one day there isn't enough time to bother with imo. I hear about BlaBlaCar, but the website isn't working well for me. I wonder if it is even an option as it's a very long day back up to CDG.

Anyone have any comments on all my alternative thoughts? It also doesn't seem like the Le Puy route is serviced very well by buses along the way.

I just purchased a bus ticket from Bordeaux to Bayonne for April 4. A number of busses were already booked, so I'm glad I did this now. I went ahead and bought a connecting train ticket from Bayonne to SJPdP (couldn't really find a bus option), and am now just hoping for the best. I have a prepaid hotel in SJPdP for April 4 through Booking.com that says it's non-refundable and not changeable... but I told the hotel staff which train I'm on and will hope for the best if I do get stuck in Bayonne for the 4th instead of SJPdP. I can work out the accommodations, no problem. I just didn't want to burn one of the extra nights built into my itinerary trying to get to the start line. Good luck!
Hi All,
I needed to get the train to SJPDP from Bayonne last fall, to find there was a random 1 day strike. There were MANY people in the same boat, and Pilgrims stuck out as we wear back packs and hiking shoes. Met my first friends of the Camino by walking up to strangers and asking if they would like to share a taxi to SJ. Cost us each 20 euros, and the trip was under an hour. Awesome.

The SCNF trains to Bayonne on 29 April, claim they are all full, meaning train strike. Planning on finding a cheap flight now.

Hi Janet, So glad that worked out for you, but doubt I will fare so well trying to get from Moissac, France back up to CDG Paris airport as it's a 7-9 hour bus or car ride, and it seems buses are not as prevelant in the area where I will be, not to mention no throngs of pilgrims will be heading back. My planned day of travel is one of the planned strike days on June 27th...I sure hope it is all resolved before then!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

SNCF emailed me offering a full refund, as well as other options.

I am not as concerned about our train reservation from CDG to Le Puy on May 31st, but am becoming concerned about leaving to go back to CDG from Moissac on June 27th to fly home on the 28th. I cannot miss my flight! Moissac, other than train service, does not seem to have bus service. On Rome2Rio, it seems every option starts out with train service from Moissac. I even wonder about the possibility of taking a taxi back to Cahors as it's a larger city, so maybe more options doing that?

My advice is -- think like a pilgrim.

(including because look as hard as I can, on the French internet, not only are there indeed no bus services, but the local bus lines that do exist nearby look like they're participating in the strike)

Moissac to Montauban (which is the closest city, though it's a small one) is about a 25 K walk, which you could make easier by pushing 7-8 K along the cycling route along the canal to Castelsarrasin, where you'll surely find somewhere to sleep. From there, a 15 K or so to the city outskirts, or maybe you can get a taxi, or maybe the local trains will be running, or some mix'n'match of these ?

Or even head south from Lauzette to Lafrançaise (leaving the GR somewhere around Durfort-Lacapelette), and from there next day to Montauban, but that would require roughing it for one night somewhere, as reasonable accommodation on that route seems to be non-existent. It's the sort of thing I might do, but that's not everybody's cup of tea :eek: o_O

So the first idea about a detour through Castelsarrasin would clearly be better, as it's a short one day hike from there into Montauban, from where some sort of transport out will be achievable -- both TGV and Intercity trains, which should be a lot less affected, stop there ; and there are long-distance private bus companies operating there too.

As others have already said, don't worry. My train from Bayonne to SJPP was cancelled due to strike action on 2 March. There were some others there in the same predicament. We managed to negotiate a good price for a taxi, €17.50 each for 4 of us. I'm now in Hospital de Óbrigo and loving every minute of it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
hmmmm, the information we've had so far seems to be now out of date ...

See : https://www.huffingtonpost.fr/2018/...lle-greve-reconductible-a-la-sncf_a_23393794/

So it seems there'll be a tougher strike action starting on the 2nd April, and the SUD-Rail unionists will be deciding on a day-to-day basis whether to continue striking the following day. Whether the other unions follow suit or not, or stick to their calendar, is an unknown.

Otherwise, whether you'll have a train or not on any particular day, is something that really cannot be known 'til about 24 to 48 hours before, although the first few days of the strike in the beginning of April seem like they'll be the toughest of all with maximum train cancellations.

I'm booked on a train from Montparnasse (Paris) to SJPDP on Sunday April 8th which according to the calendar diagram is a strike day. Any thoughts about whether or not I should consider rescheduling to the Saturday as it is a no strike day? (I arrive on Friday and planned a couple of day in Paris before heading out but could easily let that go) Any thoughts would be appreciated. This is my first Camino.

I'm booked on a train from Montparnasse (Paris) to SJPDP on Sunday April 8th which according to the calendar diagram is a strike day. Any thoughts about whether or not I should consider rescheduling to the Saturday as it is a no strike day? (I arrive on Friday and planned a couple of day in Paris before heading out but could easily let that go) Any thoughts would be appreciated. This is my first Camino.
This is my first camino as well (leave next Monday!), so I do not have specific experience with getting to SJDpD... yet. However, I do have a lot of experience getting around Western Europe during a transportation strike. *If* you have the option to travel to SJPdP on another day other than a planned strike day... do it just to be safe and make life easier on you. You can see Paris for a few days at the end of your camino instead, like a reward. Buen camino!

This is my first camino as well (leave next Monday!), so I do not have specific experience with getting to SJDpD... yet. However, I do have a lot of experience getting around Western Europe during a transportation strike. *If* you have the option to travel to SJPdP on another day other than a planned strike day... do it just to be safe and make life easier on you. You can see Paris for a few days at the end of your camino instead, like a reward. Buen camino!

Thanks for the feedback SeattleJen. I wonder too, based on what's written above about the unpredictable nature of the strikes, if changing my ticket is a bit of a gamble? What I mean is, is it possible that the planned strike days change and then fall on my new planned travel day? On the one hand I'm grateful for knowing that there is a strike and have the opportunity to plan ahead, however, I wonder if I should let go and see what happens given the unpredictability of these strikes? Eeep!

My own concern about the train strike is very unsettling as I end my walk in Moissac, France, a 9+ hour journey back to the CDG Paris airport and tentatively planned my return on a blackout strike day before I knew of it, although not yet purchased the ticket. There are very few options beyond trains to get back to CDG from this region of France and there will be very few stranded pilgrims on this much less traveled route to band together with. The best alternative option I can think of is taking a very expensive taxi ride to some other town or city that has bus or airport.

The best alternative option I can think of is taking a very expensive taxi ride to some other town or city that has bus or airport.

As I said, Chris, your best option would be to walk to Montauban.

Via Moissac.

Yes that would make your projected section this year 25K longer (and if you were as much of a "purist" as I am, you might want to make your follow-up section start with a Montauban to Moissac)-- but on my part this is an unknown, as I have no idea what your daily averages will be like at that end of your Way this year -- I also don't know if you're walking alone or in company ; all of these things have their importance.

My underlying point though is that with not that much effort and perhaps a bit of walking faster than planned, you can walk into a city centre and then plan an escape more effectively therefrom than from the large bourg / small town Moissac.

This is just a suggestion for you personally of course -- there's no one-size-fits-all magic bullet on the Camino, except the Apostle himself.

But the walking is easy around Montauban/Moissac, the distances are small, hiking routes and accommodation exist (if you're careful), and it's not a trap. Useful trains may exist in Montauban even in the strike, long-distance bus companies exist there, plus you'll get at least 1-2 days' insight into a less touristified Camino experience, a more trusting one.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@JabbaPapa, Thank you so much for putting more clarity to what you posted yesterday. I will definately look into the Montauban option to see if something can work out from there. I may PM you with questions later on if needed. Do you live in France or know if the proposed strike ever ends earlier? Just curious.

I am traveling with two girlfriends, but we have only walked on the Spain caminos. Our preference is 20-25 kilometers a day, but I suppose after the first two weeks we will be stronger to walk longer if need be.

Do you live in France or know if the proposed strike ever ends earlier? Just curious.

Yes I do, and this strike will probably last until the Government caves in and abandons its plans, or changes them to the Unions' satisfaction, as happens almost systematically. I personally doubt that the strike will last all of the way into June, but it might very well get nastier than advertised in May. (but do still try and avoid travelling during France's World Cup match days nor the evening previous)

I am traveling with two girlfriends, but we have only walked on the Spain caminos. Our preference is 20-25 kilometers a day, but I suppose after the first two weeks we will be stronger to walk longer if need be.

Then you'll be able to manage Moissac to Montauban easily in one day, perhaps with a short morning stop at Castelsarrasin for a break and some munchies and fresh water / second breakfast.

The French Government appears to be making some effort to try and avert the strike -- it remains to be seen if it will be at all successful (I'm not optimistic, personally).

Well, the advice for this week is to completely avoid trying to travel by rail after 7 PM on Monday, and all day Tuesday and Wednesday.

The head of the SNCF has announced that train timetables will be given at 5 PM on the day before any strike day, and that all trains on those timetables are "guaranteed" to run.

Also, anyone who has a reservation for those days will be contacted, where possible, by e-mail if their train is cancelled.

Finally, for the time being, no reservations are possible for trains running on strike days -- this is particularly important for those in here wondering about why they may be unable to reserve tickets for certain dates ; i.e. it's not because those trains are already full.

So just because reservations are closed does not mean that the trains will be packed like sardine tins.

77% of the train drivers are striking on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Only 12% of TGV trains will be running ; but apparently the Monday evening trains will be mostly normal.

The first two days of the strike will likely be worse than the later strike days, but given how drastically it's starting, the other strike days may be very poor too.

I have booked trains, both to and from CDG on non-strike days, (May 31 and June 26) so hope all will be fine. I did choose to leave Moissac a day earlier than I originally wanted in order to select a non-strike day returning to the airport, but this will be a good thing as it gives me more time to scramble for a bus if train travel becomes unpredictable.

A big thank you to those of you have helped me in my decision making process as it helped bring clarity to a stressful situation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello
I am French
Attention strike actions in France Traffic of trains very disrupted from Tuesday, April 3rd to the end of June

Verify the trains of April 3rd on https://en.oui.sncf/en/ the App SNCF and our other information channels, then every day at 5 pm for the trains of the next day

You can travel by bus https://www.busradar.com/?currency=EUR

Or use the ride sharing. https://www.blablacar.co.uk

It's better to avoid transport by train during the strikes

Air France will also be on strike on Tuesday, as well as the 11th & 12th of April.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As things stand now, apart from the TGVs, it looks like 12% of Intercity trains only will be running as well.

However, I've looked at the trains running tomorrow (3rd April, 1st day of strike), and there are 11 trains between Bordeaux and Hendaye -- but none between 10 AM and 3 PM.

There appear to be no trains whatsoever from Bayonne to SJPP.

---

aaaaaaand, especially for CaminoChris --- there are 6 trains and 4 buses running on the first day of the strike between Moissac and Montauban --- and 6 possibilities for trains from Moissac to Paris, via either Montauban or Agen. :cool:

---

People can check train times on this website : https://www.oui.sncf/services-train/fiches-horaires

Last edited:
Otherwise buses between Bayonne and SJPP :

Bayonne to Saint-Palais, line 811 : http://www.transports64.fr/IMG/pdf/cg64-tiu64-fh105x150-811-hiver-2.pdf

Saint-Palais to SJPP, line 810 : http://www.transports64.fr/IMG/pdf/...rt_saint_etienne_de_baigorry_au_1.07.2017.pdf

Bottom line, it requires taking the 811 from Bayonne at 7:15, 8:10, or 13:10 so as to not miss the last bus up to SJPP

To get there from Paris tomorrow would require taking the 6:52 or the 7:52 from Montparnasse, and yes they are running.

So it is therefore possible during to the strike to get to SJPP, even from Paris -- either same day by leaving very early indeed, or over two days by finding somewhere to sleep in Bayonne, or perhaps in Saint-Palais which is more of a Pilgrim place : http://www.saintpalais-tourisme.com...-gites-pelerins/gite-etape-chemins-bideak/987

(perhaps even consider starting in Saint-Palais rather than SJPP ?)

Hope this helps :)

JabbaPapa,
You offer such helpful advice to pilgrims needing to travel in France by train or bus during the uncertainty of the rail strike! I know you've helped alleviate some of my own fears. Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
These strikes are sporatic and meant to disrupt normal life for the French, who only shrug at the inconvenience. God willing, you will make it to your destination sooner or later; the rail system is not going to go away at the stroke of midnight.

It seems that South Eastern France, where I live, will be the area worst affected by this strike (luckily, for my own part, I virtually never need to take the train)

So the Pilgrims worst affected by this will be those wanting to start the Rome Way somewhere in the South of France, and wishing to get to their starting point by train ; although those wishing to start their Camino at Arles will also be affected, as well as those trying to make their way to Le Puy, or even Vézelay.

Last edited:
One important detail I was wondering about -- on strike days, there will be NO trains running between France and Spain.

€149,-
One important detail I was wondering about -- on strike days, there will be NO trains running between France and Spain.
Although I have some fairly good options for defaulting to travel by bus, both going to Le Puy from CDG, and returning back from Moissac, I have purchased train tickets for both ways on NON strike days. Do you think the non-strike days will be honored and trains will run?

I plan to travel from Toulouse to Lourdes on Saturday 19 May, and purchased my rail ticket some time ago..... I have a hunch that trains to Lourdes will go forward as scheduled. But I've now purchased a bus ticket for that day, too.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Do you think the non-strike days will be honored and trains will run?

The question is rather if the current non-strike days might not become strike ones -- which at present is frankly anyone's guess.

But given that trains existed between Moissac and Paris on the 1st day of the strike, it is quite likely that they will exist on your travel days too.

There are reports BTW that the long distance trains have been running with not all seats taken, presumably as people have opted to either travel on non-strike days or by other means of transport, or not to travel at all -- tourists have also seemingly been avoiding travelling in France.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I plan to travel from Toulouse to Lourdes on Saturday 19 May, and purchased my rail ticket some time ago..... I have a hunch that trains to Lourdes will go forward as scheduled.

Looks like it, as a few such trains were running today.

I'm due to go from London to Bayonne on Saturday 19 May starting with an early Eurostar. If the cancellation pattern stays the same it's not looking good for anyone wanting to take an early Eurostar: https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/disruption/service-information

Decisions decisions.... wait and see or book a flight... or a bus...

Getting to Bayonne in one day from London should still be feasible.

€83,-
The current negociations between the Government and the Unions are in a very parlous and hostile state, so things are getting worse rather than better -- and the Unions are now talking about extending the strikes beyond the end of June.

The Air France strike is also worsening, so that Pilgrims flying to or from France should use different companies.

Things are not so bad now as on the first two strike days -- 3 trains today for instance from Bayonne to SJPP, including the 9 PM one, getting up there at about 10:30, which will clearly keep various travel plans to SJPP viable as they weren't on Tuesday and Wednesday -- if today's strike action is indicative of how it will proceed in the weeks and months to come.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I got an email from SNCF yesterday saying tomorrows train from Lyon to St Etienne may be cancelled, nothing about the St Etiene to Le Puy train, I will look again at the SNCF web site after 5pm. As an insurance I have booked a space in a car via the Blabla Car web site for 13.75 euros from Lyon to Le Puy, this doesn't go until the evening but at least it will get me there and I'll get a refund from SNCF. I'll let you know how it goes.

Service is normal today on the Bayonne to SJPP line.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No trains to Le Puy yesterday so I used Blabla car which worked well

What was your starting point from when you used the Blablacar transport to Le Puy?

I have a prepaid train ticket from CDG to Le Puy on May 31st. It's a non-strike day, but who knows for sure. I think my 7-9 hour travel is probably too long a distance to use Blablacar.

I started from Lyon as I had a pre - booked ticket. SNCF refunded this as it was a strike day. I had to travel slightly out of town centre for my lift but you can get a ticket for 1.9 euro which gives you an hours travel on any combo of metro tram or bus. You could try putting in Paris to Le Puy in the search for Blabla

Thank you, Jim. I did try to look at the Blablacar website last week, but nothing showed up for my distance needed. I'll just hope my pre-purchased train ticket works out for the non-strike day I travel, or I may check into a bus if an option..

Last edited:

The whole Lyons to Marseilles & Nice & Montpellier sector is the worst affected.

But it is possible to get to Le Puy via Clermont-Ferrand (though more time-consuming)

Last edited:
I started from Lyon as I had a pre - booked ticket. SNCF refunded this as it was a strike day. I had to travel slightly out of town centre for my lift but you can get a ticket for 1.9 euro which gives you an hours travel on any combo of metro tram or bus. You could try putting in Paris to Le Puy in the search for Blabla

Did you need to do something to initiate the refund from SNCF, or is it automatically done in their system?

Did you need to do something to initiate the refund from SNCF, or is it automatically done in their system?
I went on the SNCF website and cancelled the ticket, the site knows the strike days and gives a no quibble refund

I went on the SNCF website and cancelled the ticket, the site knows the strike days and gives a no quibble refund
Thanks for the info

The Air France and French Rail Unions have all voted to continue the strike.

May 14th may well be particularly bad, so please pilgrims, completely avoid all travel projects in France for the 13th or 14th of next month. If the unions decide to strike genuinely as hard as it sounds, even the private bus companies could be affected, and it's not beyond reason that some airport staff might not strike at the same time, affecting other companies than just Air France and its subsidiaries.

Some airport ground staff is joining the strike, so that no flight is now guaranteed against cancellation on Air France strike days.

I'll repeat something I said early in the thread -- absolutely avoid France National Team World Cup play dates and the day before them in this year's travel plans.

Last edited:
May 22nd will be a day of general strike -- absolutely avoid travelling on that date.

In fact I'd say avoiding completely the whole week between the strike days on 18th and 19th, Pentecost Sunday on the 20th Pentecost Monday 21st, the general strike day on the 22nd, then the two strike days on 23rd & 24th, and the morning of 25th -- so basically, a whole week to avoid.

Preparing to head Paris to Le Puy on May 5, back from Cahors to Paris May 19 for flight back to the US on May 20. Have train ticket for May 5 but can't get one for the 19th. Blabla car no rides available today. Hubby refuses to take the night bus Cahors to Paris. Just a bit concerned. It's one thing to have to spend 2 weeks in Paris (tant pis!) yet another to miss the plane home and back to work!
Any suggestions?

What was your starting point from when you used the Blablacar transport to Le Puy?

I have a prepaid train ticket from CDG to Le Puy on May 31st. It's a non-strike day, but who knows for sure. I think my 7-9 hour travel is probably too long a distance to use Blablacar.
I think you'll be fine on a non-strike day with a ticket, I have not heard otherwise so far....

Preparing to head Paris to Le Puy on May 5, back from Cahors to Paris May 19 for flight back to the US on May 20. Have train ticket for May 5 but can't get one for the 19th. Blabla car no rides available today. Hubby refuses to take the night bus Cahors to Paris. Just a bit concerned. It's one thing to have to spend 2 weeks in Paris (tant pis!) yet another to miss the plane home and back to work!
Any suggestions?
The 18th and 19th are listed on the SNCF calendar as strike days.Better safe than sorry take the train on the 17th and spend 3 nights in Paris.

Tomorrow and Friday will be bad strike days, with only 50% long-distance trains running.

Though the replacement bus from Bayonne to SJPP will be working.

The rail unions are talking about toughening their strike action.

Otherwise, Tuesday 8th is both a strike day and a bank holiday (so likely to be utter murder), the 9th is a strike day, and the 10th another bank holiday.

Otherwise, Tuesday 8th is both a strike day and a bank holiday (so likely to be utter murder), the 9th is a strike day, and the 10th another bank holiday.
Thanks for reminding the pilgrim community about the bank closures on both ends of a strike day. I doubt I would have known on my own.

Thanks for reminding the pilgrim community about the bank closures on both ends of a strike day. I doubt I would have known on my own.

Not just bank closures, but also holiday train timetables, so fewer trains than normal even on the 10th -- plus fewer buses etc on the 8th & 10th. And closed shops etc.

Not the rail -- but there's a concurrent Air France strike ; the President of the company has just resigned, and given past form for this sort of strike in France, I'd conclude that this strike anyway is probably now heading towards some sort of resolution.

Generally, these two days will be not so bad as the last two days, but in particular they will be worse on the Atlantic lines (Paris to Bordeaux & Bordeaux to Bayonne).

Still no international trains into Spain.

On Friday 4th May I needed to get from Navarrenx to Biarritz, the first stage went fine Navarrenx to Orthez by bus for 2 euro. On arrival at Orthez railway station I may well have asked to go to Mars, there was a bus around 7 pm which would get me to Bayonne around 9:30 pm with no onward connection. I could only hire a car if I was returning to Orthez which wasn't much use as I had a hotel in Biarritz for Friday night and a flight to London on Saturday. The only option was a 150 euro taxi ride, I could have hitch hiked but I did not know the road layout and could have been stranded. My advice would be avoid France until the dispute is over or you have independent transport. I was appalled by the response by the staff at Orthez train station and Tourist Office who did little or nothing to help.

€149,-

Thank you for the replies. It is true that many trains are running and don’t forget to check out the bus. We’re planning to take a night bus from Cahors to Paris.

We were completely blindsided by this week’s vacation for the French... and many of them were too. After being closed out of a number of gites we got on the phone and made reservations through this week. It is the busiest week of the year by reports. We had to take the Malle Postale bus one day and miss a stage entirely as there was no room at Domaine Sauvage. A pity. They have 50 beds only.

One other item I would report is that the Lightfoot Guide is terrible. Several errors and poor layout. Wish I’d gotten the Miao Miao Dodo instead.

Many blessings, no complaints. Hope our experience is useful to others.

One piece of good news in the midst of this.

The SNCF have announced some general compensation for everyone affected by this in the form of cut-price TGV tickets this summer.

From 15th May to 31st August, prices on all TGVs running will be slashed, and they seem to be aiming for about a 50% reduction from normal ticket prices on all trains, with perhaps some even better spot deals on some individual trains.

The strikers are aiming for "zero trains" tomorrow, 14th May.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Little bit of a general heads up and/or reminder, with more up-to-date basics about the strike and some trains info.

Strike calendar etc here : https://www.oui.sncf/train/greve

You can generate daily personalised train timetables at this website :

https://www.oui.sncf/services-train/fiches-horaires (several languages available)

simply choose your departure and destination, day of travel, and (I'd advise during the strike) select a start time of 00h and an end time of 24h.

It's NOT a perfect system -- many intermediary trains that you could take on a trip say from Paris to SJPP simply will not appear, but instead it will show only what it thinks (often quite rightly) to be the most convenient ones, but if you're unfamiliar with how the French trains work, it's a great system.

Remember though -- during the strike, strike day timetables are only made available at 5PM local time the previous evening.

OTOH the SNCF has now reinstated train reservations for trains running on strike days, with the odd individual exception if they cannot guarantee that a train will actually be running.

BUT, some trains are exempted from the reservations system, and as things stand now, those trains will either not appear at all on the website, or they will appear as being "full" even when that is not the case (if reservations have been deactivated for those trains).

IF you are travelling alone, then you probably will manage to travel except on the worst of the strike action days, or perhaps if a strike day coincides with a holiday. Even if you just turn up with no plan, willing to travel in conditions no matter how uncomfortable, and so on -- I've done so during strikes many times, though with my present bad knees I'd seek to avoid it nowadays ; even hitch-hiking is not as uncomfortable as a seriously jam packed French train on a strike day.

IF you are travelling 2 people or more, then I'd advise you to get to your departure station the evening before your planned train departure date and get your tickets there for your next day's travel.

Last edited:
The rail strike is officially being continued into the month of July.

I just returned from walking Camino Francis (40 days) followed by 11 days in Normandy and Paris area visiting family. I had no problems. My sister lives just outside of Paris near Euro Disney. You can take the RER or SNCF to her home, both of which I did, no problems. My mom lives in Normandy, took SNCF there and back, no trouble. If they sold you a ticket they are supposed to honor it, that is what I was told when there and it held true. Many trains run. They also publish strike schedules and seem to adhere to it very closely. The strike is weakening, but the hardliners are in control and threaten the ones that want to work. Anyway, I would stick with your plans. We left mid April, returned end of May to Paris. I was going to take train but opted to fly using HOP! going there and Vueling on return to Paris. In retrospect I could have used train. We flew into Biarritz, then out of Santiago. Actually the flights were less expensive than train. But for me it is easy as I have family to stay with that pick us up at airport, etc. Either one should work fine.

2 of the 3 main rail Unions have voted to not continue the strike, so even though it will continue in July to a degree, the strike is bound to become less disruptive from the beginning of July onwards.

It now seems clear that the July strike days will be announced only days in advance, so that people can no longer prepare their journeys in advance so as to avoid them.

Having said that, the SNCF seems to think that only few trains will be cancelled on the 6th and 7th.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.