• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Railway construction between Zamora/Granja

george.g

Time of past OR future Camino
French way 10, 11
Norte 12
Vdlp 13
Levante 14
Mozarabe/Malaga 15
Augusta 16
Mozarabe/Almeria 17
Be aware there is quite a lot of railway construction between Zamora and Granja. Not a lot of direction markings but doable.
In the dry not too bad, in the wet that could be another matter altogether!!!
Regards
George

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Be aware there is quite a lot of railway construction between Zamora and Granja. Not a lot of direction markings but doable.
In the dry not too bad, in the wet that could be another matter altogether!!!
Regards
George

hi george hope youre camino going well john

Attached is a jpeg of the construction along this section
09122108g.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
attached is a close up of the section through Galicia
11081901.jpg

Hi John,
Yes my Camino has gone well so far, tough at times, but rewarding, I've been lucky with the weather only 3 wet days in nearly a month, just glad I'm past the railway working it would be a total b....... in the wet.
Best of luck with your Camino I know you start in a few days
Regards
George

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
here is the larger version of the same map (it was the best I could find)

11081901.jpg

This works great! I don't see Granja on the map though. From Zamora, which stages are impacted ccurrently?

Thanks

Starting April 1st I walked from Seville to Santiago. I followed the signs and did not encounter any problems with the railway construction .Again we only had 3 days of rain in 6 weeks (of which 2 were at the begining Guillena to Castilblanco to Almaden).I used the Amigos guide book for reference and followed the yellow arrows as I did not have a smartphone/iphone/ipad. It was hard but enjoyed it all and met great people
Maura

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anyone walking the VdlPat the moment who can give updates on the construction?

I walked the Sanabria Way five weeks ago. The FREEWAY construction is really bad north of Zamora. That just means walking on the carraterra a lot.

My big question was whether to do the Sanabria Way because of the High Velocity Rail construction. Answer: Yes, do the Sanabria Way.

The construction is happening BIG TIME with detours, especially after the Puebla de Sanabria. Again that means walking on the road a lot. That said, you ain't going to get lost sticking to the carraterra. Sometimes there just aren't many waymarkings. The carraterra aside, the trekking is absolutely the best part of the La Plata. So if I had it to do over again, without a doubt I would do the Sanabria Way rather than the route via the Camino Frances zoo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am looking at cycling from Salamanca - hopefully starting in early September. How is either/both the AVE rail construction or highway construction affecting the walking Camino (via Oursense) or the roads (N530/535?) that are the alternatives where the track is not suitable for bikes. Thanks in advanceo_O

My Spanish is fairly basic, I understand "obras", but not "obras en licitacion" or "proyecto en redaccion". Can anyone help??

I am afraid not... Instead I have a question myself. Are the obras only between Zamora and Granja? I am following the VdlP to Astorga (not the Sanabrés).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My Spanish is fairly basic, I understand "obras", but not "obras en licitacion" or "proyecto en redaccion". Can anyone help??

Obras licitation = Request for proposal
Proyecto en redaccion = Projet being planned.

Haha, a translation from some one from my home province! Thanks, Canuck.

I was going to say that then it probably wasn't as bad as it first looked, but then I noticed that this is from 2011, so projects have probably been planned and proposals accepted by now...

Well, I can answer my own question myself now ;-)
Didn't see any obras on AVE. Just the new highway. The first part (till Riego) is very well marked, no problems at all (I was walking on a Saturday though). The second part (where you have to cross the new highway) I decided to walk on the N630.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the Sanabria Way five weeks ago. The FREEWAY construction is really bad north of Zamora. That just means walking on the carraterra a lot.

My big question was whether to do the Sanabria Way because of the High Velocity Rail construction. Answer: Yes, do the Sanabria Way.

The construction is happening BIG TIME with detours, especially after the Puebla de Sanabria. Again that means walking on the road a lot. That said, you ain't going to get lost sticking to the carraterra. Sometimes there just aren't many waymarkings. The carraterra aside, the trekking is absolutely the best part of the La Plata. So if I had it to do over again, without a doubt I would do the Sanabria Way rather than the route via the Camino Frances zoo.

Hi, pilgr, a few questions and a comment or two about the highway walking from Puebla de Sanabria.

In my experience, the amount of road walking wasn't significantly increased last year from years earlier, but maybe things got worse this year.

You probably aren't referring to this part, but I know a lot of people stay on the highway when leaving Puebla, because of some bad reports about the riverside walk. In my experience, that riverside walk was very pleasant, and took you out to the highway right before you cross and go start going up toward Requejo and the little town before it. So that's one part of highway walking you can cut off if you go down to the river.

But the part from Requejo up to the tunnel is mainly on the road, or at least it was last year. That does reflect some detours from Camino to highway, but my first time on the Sanabres, can't remember exactly what year but it pre-dated this construction, there was still a fair amount of highway walking up to the tunnel. So I know that there is more highway walking than there used to be but it's not like the pre-highway camino up to the tunnel was pristine.

Where I have read that there are now big detours, and detours that I think would cut through some of the most gorgeous Camino Sanabres stretches, are around Lubian. This just breaks my heart. The few km from Aciberos to Lubian were absolutely idyllic, gorgeous green riverside tunnels. Someone said there was a 6 km detour to Lubian on the highway, was that your experience, too?

Buen camino, Laurie

The route into Lubian is sadly a long detour along the highway with trucks racing past continuously, at least it was in June. Probably the only disappointing stage of my journey this past May and June from Sevilla. I have subsequently heard from 1 or 2 others I encountered along the Plata that you can still walk through the tunnels with some disruption along the route, but as I only had the Amigos guide I missed the turn, or perhaps it wasn't clearly enough marked, or maybe I was simply trying to avoid a truck:) My friend had a German guide book so a much better reference for where to turn off, and he did. In any event, I walked the long hard road detour without pleasure. One extremely experienced French walker ended up taking a taxi from Lubian because he was so frightened by the trucks and was worried that the next stage would be a repeat...too bad, because the next stage was wonderful. Those I spent the evening with in Lubian were all very experienced walkers and to a person a bit depressed by the experience, but as I said the next day was special.

The rest of the construction areas along the journey were very manageable and in most cases I just walked across the construction zones when it was a weekend. I tried to manage my arrival at the worst locations so that I would arrive on a weekend. This worked out well. Other times there was usually ok signage and even a flag person to direct me at a couple of active areas. I decided while walking to try and not get too put out by any of the construction because things in our world change and you just have to adapt. That said, I didn't enjoy the walk down into Lubian. Otherwise the Plata was an amazing experience and I would most happily walk it again...it was simply, special.

I guess that's just the way things are, so there's no point in moaning about the changes, but to learn that we have to give up walking through quiet peaceful green (maybe muddy) heaven alongside a river on one of the most peaceful stages of the Sanabres, it just breaks my heart. May not look like anything special, but it was.

Into Lubian.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thinking about Lubian reminded me of two different things of beauty I saw there. One was a tiny scallop shell handcarved into an old door latch

lock in Lubian.jpg

and the other was an elaborate stone circular structure built to catch wolves (about a km outside of town, I highly recommend a visit up to see it). The top layer of stones hangs slightly over and projects into the inside, and I learned that that small overhang somehow made it impossible for the wolves to jump out. The not so beautiful part of this involved how they enticed the wolf to jump over the wall and inside the circle -- a little lamb was used as bait.
wolf catcher in Lubian.jpg

I'm itching to finish this route, but maybe I'll wait one more year and finish the Madrid this year.
Or… maybe I'll walk Caceres to Zamora this year.
Looks like most of the construction is after Zamora on the Sanabres?

Annie, yes it is. But as I've said above, if you can time your days to arrive on weekends you can easily walk right across most of it. It worked well for me and I decided not to sweat it...I just focused inwards and walked on. I've been back 7 weeks and believe it or not I haven't looked at my photos as I've been too busy doing other things and just want the experience to float in the back of my mind for a while. However I've just quickly found a few photos to give you and others the idea of what you will see...not pretty, but manageable. Best to all.
Edit note: This photo is approaching Lubian. I will post some others below...technical issues with the site.
IMG_6845.JPG

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for these pictures, High Endeavors. Can you identify some of the spots? I keep telling myself that though there will be permanent scars, once the construction is done, the equipment is gone, and things start growing again, some of the land will recuperate. But these tracks are awfully close to some villages in what used to be untouched spots of northern Spain.

Laurie, I tried to edit the photos in my prior post but for some reason they won't load as Thumbnails (smaller size). This one is between A Gardina and Laza at Campobecerros.
IMG_7181.JPG

This one is also entering into Lubian. The two photos walking towards Lubian do not to the disruption justice. The other photos I have won't load onto the website as I receive an error message when I try. I will see what else I have and post them if possible. Regards, Geoff
IMG_6839.JPG

This sign directed me onto the highway to walk many kilometers along the side of the road as I walked up to the top of the pass at Padornelo. Laurie, I think you are correct, over the years much of the disruption will heal, but it will take some years for that to happen. The folks who walk then will never know what it was like before, and except for an occasional train they will still be in awe of the Plata route.
IMG_6798.JPG
I wasn't completely accurate with my original comment, there are still detours on the Plata portion as you walk; for example the approach to the aubergue by Embalse where there are a couple of large bridges still being constructed. However, the detours just take you onto the road for a time and are just fine...of course this was where I had my only rain...a downpour coming in with heavy winds just 2 kilometers from the aubergue and no shelter. I was soaked in spite of my great poncho!:)
IMG_5274.JPG
IMG_5284.JPG

This sign directed me onto the highway to walk many kilometers along the side of the road as I walked up to the top of the pass at Padornelo. Laurie, I think you are correct, over the years much of the disruption will heal, but it will take some years for that to happen. The folks who walk then will never know what it was like before, and except for an occasional train they will still be in awe of the Plata route.
View attachment 13182
I wasn't completely accurate with my original comment, there are still detours on the Plata portion as you walk; for example the approach to the aubergue by Embalse where there are a couple of large bridges still being constructed. However, the detours just take you onto the road for a time and are just fine...of course this was where I had my only rain...a downpour coming in with heavy winds just 2 kilometers from the aubergue and no shelter. I was soaked in spite of my great poncho!:)
View attachment 13183
View attachment 13184

I guess we all want things to be just like they were when we walked our first time on any given route. Nostalgia is a strong emotion. The route up to Padornelo now has a few extra kms on the way to the pass, but the first time I walked it there were also many kms on the side of the road. I think the road walking starts right after Requejo de Sanaabria now, but we used to have a few kms before hitting the road. So even when it goes back to "normal", I think we can expect a lot of roadside walking on that stretch.

But I don't think there are any/many highway km detours after Puebla de Sanabria to Requejo de Sanabria, or is that one of the victims to construction, too?

I did the Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabres starting from Sevilla on July 9, 2014 and arriving at Santiago de Compostela on August 18, 2014, 41 days in all. The detours caused by the AVE railway constructions did cause me some concern especially in places where yellow arrows or Camino markers removed in the construction sites were not replaced. I did not see Camino markers at the approach to Granja de Moruelos, where one decides whether to continue the Via de la Plata to Astorga or take the Via de Sanabres to Ourense. Providentially there were kind people at that time and at that place who gladly pointed out the Camino path. What would have happened to me if I did not have anyone to ask for directions, especially on a Sunday?

I hope and pray that the "Amigos de Camino de Santiago" would coordinate with the people working with the AVE railway constructions so the detours, already inconvenient in themselves would at least be well marked and assure the pilgrim that he/she is still walking on the right path. As pilgrims, we all know the feeling of not seeing a yellow arrow or a Camino marker for quite a distance and the assuring feeling (a sigh of relief) in seeing one. I hope also that the suggestions and concerns I discussed with the hospitaleros regarding the Camino marker or yellow arrows would not fall on deaf ears. In fairness, some hospitaleros were truly very helpful in giving directions, recommendations and even alternative routes with regard to the detours. There seems to be a way after all in all this confusing detours!

Through it all throughout the Via de la Plata and the Camino Sanabres, it is just amazing how I have reached Santiago de Compostela with paths sparsely marked and well marked. That for me is a miracle in itself and for that I am truly grateful. In those instances and places where there are no Camino sign or markers, God sent people as angels to lead me to the right direction.

Blessings of a Buen Camino,
Manny D

I did the Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabres starting from Sevilla on July 9, 2014 and arriving at Santiago de Compostela on August 18, 2014, 41 days in all. The detours caused by the AVE railway constructions did cause me some concern especially in places where yellow arrows or Camino markers removed in the construction sites were not replaced. I did not see Camino markers at the approach to Granja de Moruelos, where one decides whether to continue the Via de la Plata to Astorga or take the Via de Sanabres to Ourense. Providentially there were kind people at that time and at that place who gladly pointed out the Camino path. What would have happened to me if I did not have anyone to ask for directions, especially on a Sunday?

I hope and pray that the "Amigos de Camino de Santiago" would coordinate with the people working with the AVE railway constructions so the detours, already inconvenient in themselves would at least be well marked and assure the pilgrim that he/she is still walking on the right path. As pilgrims, we all know the feeling of not seeing a yellow arrow or a Camino marker for quite a distance and the assuring feeling (a sigh of relief) in seeing one. I hope also that the suggestions and concerns I discussed with the hospitaleros regarding the Camino marker or yellow arrows would not fall on deaf ears. In fairness, some hospitaleros were truly very helpful in giving directions, recommendations and even alternative routes with regard to the detours. There seems to be a way after all in all this confusing detours!

Through it all throughout the Via de la Plata and the Camino Sanabres, it is just amazing how I have reached Santiago de Compostela with paths sparsely marked and well marked. That for me is a miracle in itself and for that I am truly grateful. In those instances and places where there are no Camino sign or markers, God sent people as angels to lead me to the right direction.

Blessings of a Buen Camino,
Manny D
Hi Manny D,
My husband and I are planning to walk to VDLP in August 2015. In the past, we've walked many of the most unpopular caminos such as La Lana, El Mozàrabe etc. where there isn't a soul in sight and this is one of the aspects which we appreciated the most; silence and solitude. Obviously VDLP will not be this way though I'm wondering just HOW busy can it get in August under 40°-50° + sun?! Can you kindly tell me what was the average amount of pilgrims you saw on a daily basis?

Many thanks
CDCIP

@CDCIP
Would love to exchange notes - off next Tuesday to do the Mozárabe.
But re your question about the Plata. I did the stretch Sevilla - Zamora July 2011 and Zamora - SdC July 2013. 35-40 degrees was normal in the south but if you drink tons (need a hydration bag), wear a hat and sunglasses and leave by 6 a.m. you shouldn;t have a problem. Further north the temperatures were around 30 but the first hour you need a fleece.
But your question was about the crowds or lack thereof.
2011: When I arrived in Guillena on July 8 there were 6 of us. One dropped out on day 2 (too hot), one stopped in Almadén (day 3) to rest his poorly blistered feet and a couple went on ahead after Fuente de Cantos which left me and what would become my Italian walking buddy. From that point on we were very often the only pilgrims in the albergues and we saw no one else during the day. Every once in a while we would meet up with cyclists.
2013: Starting off in Zamora there were 3 other woman. Two had started in Sevilla and one in Salamanca. One Spanish woman ended up walking with me to Muxia/Finisterre. The other 2 French women as well as a Swede and a Spanish gentleman joined us later on and continued with us to Santiago via the Sanabrés. But as Neus and I started out in the morning at around 6 we NEVER saw any other pilgrim while we walking. Getting closer to Santiago there were here and there a few more pilgrims but it was usually just us 5 or 6.
Silence and solitude you will definately find but not as on the Lana or the Mozárabe. I did the Levante from Valencia to Toledo and THAT is a solitary Camino!
Cheers,
LT

We twice ran into problems between Montamarta and Granja de Moreruela. Just over 4km north of Montamarta a way marker pointed sharp right off a good path to a poor path. Marking after that was virtually non-existent. As we approached the N630 the path was so poor that we turned back. However we then found a faded arrow on a flat stone at ground level. It pointed to the road and we followed it.

On the N630 there was nothing so we walked north along the road and eventually found a pre-roadworks arrow on the N631 which put us back on track.

Looking at Google maps it appears that we should have crossed the N630 onto another path which turns north and eventually would have taken us back to recross the N630 and onto the Camino proper.

A long way out of Granja de Moreruela we followed markers which had us walking north along a path above a newly constructed highway. We were on the western side and I believe that at some stage we should have been directed to the eastern side - the new road (which does not appear on Google's satellite images) goes to the west of Granja.

We ran out of markers and when Granja came into sight we had to decide for ourselves which was the best way to reach it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I just followed the road most of that way after being advised after being advised by locals. Luckily it was on A sunday so traffic was minimal. I believe that this is caused by motorway construction rather than AVE work.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back