• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain ... And more rain

DowtyCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
May-Jn2014
May-Jn 2017
VF Jl-O 2021
Mar-My 2023
We begin our 1st Camino 1 week from today with our arrival in SJPP on the 26th or 27th depending on if all 5 connections work (odds are against us I know).
Weather forecast looks ...unfortunate...rain for 5 days straight.
Ok it is the Camino I've learned enough from these posts to take a breath and relax. It will all be ok and my wife and I will be fine.

So I'm seeking advice. What do you do with a cold rain for days and days.

Tips for drying out and warming up. Getting boots and other items dry for the next morning etc. overcoming natural depression a out starting a journey for days in a cold rain.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
1st point there is a secret to staying dry.

2nd point in most places weather in the mountains is variable. There is no way I would trust a 5 day mountain forecast. A day at the outside and be prepared that it is wrong too.

3rd point rain in the forecast does not usually mean rain in buckets all day. It just means that into your day some rain will likely fall.

4th point unless you are wicked witch of the west you won't melt.

The secret to staying dry? Don't get wet.

That means wear a raincoat or a poncho and put it on when it starts raining.

Don't wear clothes like blue jeans which will not dry out and so have hypothermia written all over them. Wear light weight stuff that dries with 5 minutes of body heat.

Keep a change of clothes in a dry bag for the end of day so you have something to change into. Documents and money keep dryer in a ziploc. Do not change into your dry stuff till the day is over.

Rule #1 is that thy sleeping bag shalt not get wet. Its your last resort. Keep it in a dry bag.

If it is raining buckets consider calling it a no-day. If it looks like its going to be a squall find a place to stand under and wait it out.

Avoid the puddles.

If you do get wet ... keep moving to stay warm.

Boots dry out a bit better by stuffing newspapers in them overnight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Living on the Oregon coast in the Pacific NW, we know rain and rain gear. If you REALLY don't want to get wet, I suggest professional police rain gear. Nothing like it.
http://www.galls.com/rainwear

Tactical patrol rain pants and long coats will keep anyone dry no matter what. And plastic bags inside your shoes keeps your feet dry (but sweaty). And there is a JacoTrans service to carry your pack to the next stop if the weather is too awful, about $7 euros a bag.

I don't mind being wet, so never did that, but nor did it rain for days on end. Does it ever in Spain? Mainly on the plain, right?

Personally I'd triple wrap my sleeping bag and a change of clothes deep in my backpack, and not worry about the rest of it...but that's just me with mushrooms growing between my toes and mold in my ears after 35 years here on the coast...

I've heard the newspaper in boots trick and tried it out recently after a hike here in NC in which we were caught in a storm (the kind where each rain drop could fill your boots). I was surprised how quickly the boots filled with water.

The newspaper idea didn't really work as well as I'd hoped. Maybe I was expecting too much.
So I guess like anything, you just live with it.

Did you waterproof you boots before the Camino? Technically my Merrell's are supposed to be waterproof, but it obviously doesn't stop water from entering the same hole in which your feet are meant to go!!

Whari - thanks for the reminder about the weather forecast. Surely I'm not expecting multiple full days of rain, but I guess it could happen. I'm ready for rain. I'm happy with rain. Cold rain for days on end on the other hand will be an item to struggle through should it happen. I know I'd be antsy using some of my budgeted "off" days before even setting out from SJPP though.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Surely I'm not expecting multiple full days of rain, but I guess it could happen. I'm ready for rain. I'm happy with rain. Cold rain for days on end on the other hand will be an item to struggle through should it happen. I know I'd be antsy using some of my budgeted "off" days before even setting out from SJPP though.
We walked in the better part of 10 days of rain and the temperature didn't break 40 F. But, once we stopped for the day, all was well. We stayed mostly warm and dry, and our gear was bone dry. Yes, it was a struggle, but mostly mental, and part of the reality of pilgrimage.
Did you waterproof you boots before the Camino? Technically my Merrell's are supposed to be waterproof, but it obviously doesn't stop water from entering the same hole in which your feet are meant to go!!
The problem with waterproof is that they don't dry while you're wearing them, and only slowly after they're off. You might consider gaitors to minimize the water coming in the top, or consider shifting your strategy away from preventing water intrusion and adopting an approach that dries quickly once out of the water (i.e. non-waterproofed shoes).

Last edited:
I got rain pants with slightly longer legs and I dropped the ends right down over my boots, almost to the ground, when it rained. My boots, or boot, only got really wet once and that was when the leg of my rain pants got hung up on the back of one boot and the water ran into the boot instead of to the ground. I didn't notice this until my boot was soaked but the newspaper trick worked well that night, also try and put your boots on the highest shelf in the albergue because it will be slightly warmer up there and should dry a bit faster.
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
During the late spring and early summer it is fairly predictable that you will find some rain falling on you about 3 days of every week. In 2012 I delayed my start waiting for the weather to clear up and finally decided to leave on 19 May after seeing a forecast for an end of the rain. I found myself walking 4 days in the rain, so much for reading between the lines of weather forecasts. Once I reached Santo Domingo I never saw another drop of rain until I reached Galicia. Then it rained on me for a full week from Triacastel to Santiago during the middle of June. I walked through Galicia from Porto last year during the middle of July and never saw a drop rain.

During the late spring and early summer it is fairly predictable that you will find some rain falling on you about 3 days of every week. In 2012 I delayed my start waiting for the weather to clear up and finally decided to leave on 19 May after seeing a forecast for an end of the rain. I found myself walking 4 days in the rain, so much for reading between the lines of weather forecasts. Once I reached Santo Domingo I never saw another drop of rain until I reached Galicia. Then it rained on me for a full week from Triacastel to Santiago during the middle of June. I walked through Galicia from Porto last year during the middle of July and never saw a drop rain.

Don, How many days hike from Santiago to Oporto?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Don, How many days hike from Santiago to Oporto?
It is about 2 weeks and I did on an ailing foot, there is only one major climb and less than 10% of the pilgrims found walking on the CF. Incredible scenery and great albergues.

Don,
Are the albergues more expensive along that route?
I'd imagine that route from Porto would warm (but not too hot) weather during July/August. I have been in parts around there and it is lovely.
A visit to the islands of Ons and Cies off the Galician coast are also a brilliant trip. Ons is a bird sanctuary and you can camp on Cies. One of its beaches is regularly voted in the top beaches of the world.

As to the the OP's question I put all my stuff in a dry bag. I think my dry bag was 50l and it fitted perfectly into my rucksack (35L). I had everything in this. A good idea is to to take the sleeping bag out of its cover and just squeeze it into the bottom of your bag. No air pockets then. We didn't get much rain on the section we did, so we never got the opportunity to see how dry things would stay.

Don,
I'd imagine that route from Porto would warm (but not too hot) weather during July/August. I have been in parts around there and it is lovely.
Comparable prices for food and lodging and the friendly people in the world beyond words. No major problems with the heat in July!
Great towns like Barcelinos, Ponte do Lima, Redondela, Patron, Porrino, Tui and by far one of the best stays is in Lugar do Corgo at Casa Fernanda!
One issue for me was walking with a foot problem was finding there is none of the support system for transporting backpacks until I crossed the river into Spain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don,
Comparable prices for food and lodging and the friendly people in the world beyond words. No major problems with the heat in July!
Great towns like Barcelinos, Ponte do Lima, Redondela, Patron, Porrino, Tui and by far one of the best stays is in Lugar do Corgo at Casa Fernanda!
One issue for me was walking with a foot problem and finding there is none of the support system for transporting backpacks until crossing the river into Spain.

Just to add my 2 cents about rain on the Camino.

You're going to get wet. Some of your gear will get wet. Mostly, it will be cold rain, and it may last for days.
And you will come to understand the joy of walking in the rain, and of experiencing one more facet of what the Camino is about.
At first you will be annoyed and try defend yourself from the Nature of the Camino. Eventually, you will fall back into the flow of the way, and the rain will just be a part of your wondrous experience.
Poncho, rain jacket, bathing suit, it really doesn't matter. The rain is as much a part of the Camino as is the next hill.
Walking for 4 days in the Galician rain and arriving in Santiago in a downpour, was an amazing way to finish our Camino.
What is it I heard in a video? "The only thing you carry on the Camino is your fear."
When you finish, you won't have any fear. Certainly not a fear of rain.
Buen Camino

I got really annoyed stomping along in my little cocoon in the rain when the water ran down my poncho onto my trousers....SO... I pinned (safety) a reverse hem on the bottom of the front of my pincho and it channelled some, if not most of the water away sideways! Just hated the soggy trousers sticking to my legs.

Another year to wait before I start again...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just wore my golf rain gear ....... worked really well. Backpack comes with a rain cover and my golf rain gear was light to carry as well. I also suggest gaiters to keep the mud off your pant legs.

here is a link to some gaiters:

http://www.mec.ca/product/4010-774/mec-short-gaiters-unisex/?q=gaiters
I experienced all day hard rain more than once and wished I'd had gaiters - not bc of mud but bc without them a good amount of the rain that hits your legs or poncho drips on to your feet/ankles. Gaiters keep water out of the "foot hole" in your shoes.

Newspaper worked extremely well for me. Sometimes I had to do two treatments. Don't leave the newspaper in overnight.

When it got really bad - several days in a row of pouring rain - I duct taped plastic bags (bought at a grocery store) over my socks. My feet were surprisingly comfortable although the shoes got soaked and heavy.

I got rain pants with slightly longer legs and I dropped the ends right down over my boots, almost to the ground, when it rained. My boots, or boot, only got really wet once and that was when the leg of my rain pants got hung up on the back of one boot and the water ran into the boot instead of to the ground. I didn't notice this until my boot was soaked but the newspaper trick worked well that night, also try and put your boots on the highest shelf in the albergue because it will be slightly warmer up there and should dry a bit faster.
Buen Camino.
Nice touch. Those long pants must have acted like gaiters?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We begin our 1st Camino 1 week from today with our arrival in SJPP on the 26th or 27th depending on if all 5 connections work (odds are against us I know).
Ok it is the Camino I've learned enough from these posts to take a breath and relax. It will all be ok and my wife and I will be fine.

Tips for drying out and warming up. Getting boots and other items dry for the next morning etc. overcoming natural depression a out starting a journey for days in a cold rain.
My advice would be to ensure you have good wet weather gear,go for trousers and water proof jacket ,ponchos have a habit of lifting in the wind.Does your Rucksack have a waterproof cover? If not always put your dry gear in a bin liner inside your sack,also have a spare bin liner to put wet gear into so you do not soil everything else.
We start on the 23 rd so I fear we will hit the weather if it is going to be bad, above all else stay warm.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We have walked in a LOT of rain (mostly in France) over our the 11 Camino trips. I wear a rain jacket (Goretex from Mountain Hardward) and Marmot Precip rainpants. Over that is my Packa, which fits over the pack and me. The Packs is better than a poncho because the wind doesn't catch it and I have yet to have a pack cover that didn't leak. Put your important items (at least) inside turkey baster bags and line your pack with a trash compactor bag (or similar). We tried not wearing our rainpants last year thinking so what if our pants got all wet--not a good idea--because although your pants will dry eventually having your wet pants stick to your legs is unpleasant. I also carry a lightweight umbrella! (All this for under 15 pounds.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lucky for us all, we are mostly waterproof. Just don't stand out in a downpour with your mouth open looking up. This may cause drowning...
I echo the large, heavy duty trash bag INSIDE the pack. Put anything you don't to get wet in there. And leave out anything you might need during the day so you never have to open the bag. Years of travelling in crappy weather with a down sleeping bag. It only ever got wet once. And that's because I was in it under a tarp shelter in a very high wind. The rain and snow came from all directions. Ha ha ha... It was raining so hard the rain bounced UP from the ground into the shelter. I'm afraid nothing could have prevented that. It was miserable at the time but I survived to laugh about it now.
Buen Camino

I have hiked a fair amount in rain here in the Northwest but my Camino in Spain was dry but for a few days. I will set off from Le Puy on May 28. I was planning to walk in heavy "runners" which are not actually that waterproof on the top... your accounts are making me wonder about switching to my heavier leather boots. Thoughts from anyone who has walked from Le Puy to Conques?? I do have a great poncho, rain pants and gaiters.
Anyone else starting off from Le Puy on May 28??

November 12, 2012 setting off from Hornillos del Camino the grey sky was heavy with cloud but apparently calm, the endless surrounding Meseta hills colored ocher, and the gently mounting path dry mud. All seemed easy and I relaxed remembering earlier caminos with deep mud or even snow along this stretch. A few other pilgrims passed by including a biker in shorts. We all wished each other "Buen Camino" and kept on walking. Little did we suspect what soon would occur ahead; such innocence was indeed bliss!

Suddenly the sky darkened as cold rain teemed down. Fierce wind blew and the path became heavy slippery mud. Now all was bitter cold with icy hail as it had become impossible to see or move in an almost biblical storm.

Shaking with cold I finally stumbled down into the little village of Hontanas which has a wonderful camino tradition. The door of the municipal albergue is usually kept ajar in case any pilgrim at any time needs shelter. Recalling this I thankfully staggered in, found a bunk, and immediately took a blissfully long HOT shower and at last began to get warm. There was an electric heater to help dry clothes and lots of great blankets for the bunks.

By late afternoon four other soaked and shivering pilgrims also found a welcome refuge here; an actor from Rome, a woman from Chile, a Frenchman from Le Puy, and a fellow from Korea. Over several bowls of hot soup we shared our memories and dreams.... Next morning at first light together we watched a perfect sunrise. At last the storm had passed; calm, clear and cold the day dawned glorious!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am the same looking at the forecast and worrying about the rain. Also it is meant to be only 6 degrees on Thursday, is it that cold. !!!! sounds like winter to me and I am Irish.

Speaking of weather....
From veterans of the Camino, what is the best way to know/prepare for the next day's weather. I've read that the coffee shop / bar in the morning pilgrims hawk over the TV waiting for the weather forcast. True?
Do you recommend a weather site that is local and "accurate" that you check during walk.
Do you ignore it completely and go with the flow?
Curious.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Someone on this forum told me that gaiters were a necessity. So I dutifully bought them, but discarded them already in Roncesvalles - too heavy, took up too much room.

I have since learned that a couple of plastic bags may serve as gaiters - with a couple of elastic bands to hold them - so very lightweight and easy to discard and and renew.

I will also recommend zip-off trousers. So easy to just to wash the bottom part if drying facilities are not optimum.

annelise

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Find someone like me with a 3 g phone who will check the weather for you live

Peter... I'll have an smartphone (world phone), but was wondering if anyone had a recommended site on which to check the weather. Maybe this is a silly question, but I thought that perhaps some local site would focus on Camino Frances weather, or such.

Someone on this forum told me that gaiters were a necessity. So I dutifully bought them, but discarded them already in Roncesvalles - too heavy, took up too much room.

I have since learned that a couple of plastic bags may serve as gaiters - with a couple of elastic bands to hold them - so very lightweight and easy to discard and and renew.

I will also recommend zip-off trousers. So easy to just to wash the bottom part if drying facilities are not optimum.

annelise
Great.....four elastic bands added to my packing list.

BBC weather is a good site just type in town or city to get a feel for the region.I am just finishing packing my Rucksack and putting an extra layer of dubbin on my boots!! When do you start? We start from SJPP early Friday

BBC weather is a good site just type in town or city to get a feel for the region.I am just finishing packing my Rucksack and putting an extra layer of dubbin on my boots!! When do you start? We start from SJPP early Friday

Peter, we're a few days behind you getting into SJPP on Monday evening the 26th. However we have a 5 connection flight (don't ask) to get there so I'm counting on at least one missed/cancelled/delayed flight with a resulting first day on the Camino fo the 28th. If we all goes well, we'll have one additional "break" day.
Our return flight is the 1st of July.

Speaking of weather....
From veterans of the Camino, what is the best way to know/prepare for the next day's weather. I've read that the coffee shop / bar in the morning pilgrims hawk over the TV waiting for the weather forcast. True?
Do you recommend a weather site that is local and "accurate" that you check during walk.
Curious.
I just checked the outside conditions in the morning before I left. If it was raining I put on rainpants and jacket and just headed off, sometimes if it was very cold I would put on the rainpants as well as it makes a good wind breaker, then just take them off as the weather changed for the better. The weather is what it is, just go with the flow.

Peter, we're a few days behind you getting into SJPP on Monday evening the 26th. However we have a 5 connection flight (don't ask) to get there so I'm counting on at least one missed/cancelled/delayed flight with a resulting first day on the Camino fo the 28th. If we all goes well, we'll have one additional "break" day.
Our return flight is the 1st of July.

Will let you know what the weather is like when we stet off and update you for 3 days

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Speaking of weather....
Curious.
I am with @wayfarer on this. I merely looked out the window or door in the morning, and decided whether to start with a fleece or a rain jacket as my outer layer. This year, I normally used my rain jacket as it stopped any chilly morning breeze as well as providing enough warmth. If it wasn't raining, once I began to raise a sweat, I knew it was warm enough to take th e jacket off.

After that, you are in the weather. I'm not sure why one would check, but I know people who did use a smart phone app to see what the afternoon was going to be like.

Regards,

annelise
Ahm, Annelise - what kind of gaiters have you bought??? I was an alpinist and I do know very well that good gaiters weight close to nothing. But sure you don't need either of them that time of year even if there's a snow storm ;)

Ultreia!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Gaiters are useful to keep pebbles and mud out of the boots. If you are wearing long pants you don't need them. They work great with shorts though.

Scree cuffs ought to be enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of weather....
Curious.

Weather forecasts? Most of the time you have not much choice but to walk so a weather forecast isn't usually going to have an influence on your plans. Its a waste of time to worry about stuff you can't change. The only exception might be rare weather events such as high level confidence predictions of heavy snow that suggest it'd be better making the mountain pass today instead of tomorrow.

Preparation? You wear what you wore the morning before ... a jacket if its usually cool in the morning or just a shirt if its not. You put on and take off layers depending on your need. That's something you decide when you leave the albergue in the morning. The only time to be concerned about it is now when you are preparing your pack for the journey so that you have what you need when you need it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Peter... I'll have an smartphone (world phone), but was wondering if anyone had a recommended site on which to check the weather.
If your smartphone has a weather app, it should be able to give you local weather. If not, get the Weather Channel app, which will give you the forecast wherever you are using the closest available data. Worked fine on the Camino for us.

Karl

Weather forecasts? Most of the time you have not much choice but to walk so a weather forecast isn't usually going to have an influence on your plans. Its a waste of time to worry about stuff you can't change. The only exception might be rare weather events such as high level confidence predictions of heavy snow that suggest it'd be better making the mountain pass today instead of tomorrow.

Preparation? You wear what you wore the morning before ... a jacket if its usually cool in the morning or just a shirt if its not. You put on and take off layers depending on your need. That's something you decide when you leave the albergue in the morning. The only time to be concerned about it is now when you are preparing your pack for the journey so that you have what you need when you need it.
@whariwharangi this is so true.

Your last point reminds me of an old piece of advice to travellers - pack for the climate, dress for the weather.

Has anyone used these - they say they are lightweight and look like they'd be a good option.
Frogg Toggs® Women's Pro Action Rain Suits

I started out from St Jean on 29th April forecast was for snow and rain would you believe it it was a great day for walking. I would suggest and if you are not carrying more than 5kg for women and 7kg for men get yourself a pair of crocs you know those plastic sandals once across the pyrenees from Roncevalles get into sandals keep your feet cool carry four pairs of socks and two zip off trousers (i water proofed mine) get yourself a poncho to cover you and your ruck and if the rain is still pouring down take plenty of cover stops there are plenty of churches shops and coffee places along the way. I found the further west it got warmer but maybe i was lucky.

Things happen for a reason, I should be somewhere in Spain now but since I got home I met two lovely people I would otherwise have not met, was in a guard of honour for a friend who died and several other events that I would have not been involved in had I been in Spain.
Wayfarer where is the sign in your avater i think i passed it going into Logrono but like everything the days mesh into each other and i couldnt be sure

Its on the climb up before the steep decent down to Zubiri. I got a PM a few weeks ago saying that it had been replaced by a spanking new one, pity, it gave me a good laugh and inspiration on a cold wet day when I was asking myself "what the hell am I doing here". :) After that I learned to embrace the whole Camino, good, bad and otherwise. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ahm, Annelise - what kind of gaiters have you bought??? I was an alpinist and I do know very well that good gaiters weight close to nothing. But sure you don't need either of them that time of year even if there's a snow storm ;)

Ultreia!
I brought gaiters with me but didnt use them and they folded up inside my waterproof ruck cover but i think i used the ruck cover twicw in lite rain in the mornings but gaiters had no weight in them food and water was my biggest weight but couldnt do with out my porridge in the mornings and a cuppa made from water boiled in my storm kettle home from home Buen Camino
Its on the climb up before the steep decent down to Zubiri. I got a PM a few weeks ago saying that it had been replaced by a spanking new one, pity, it gave me a good laugh and inspiration on a cold wet day when I was asking myself "what the hell am I doing here". :) After that I learned to embrace the whole Camino, good, bad and otherwise. :)

Should have taken a photo of it but had just met a fellow perigrino and got chatting so they must have changed it the week after we passed it last month suppose we could always paint up the new one lol, thanks for the update

I started out from St Jean on 29th April forecast was for snow and rain would you believe it it was a great day for walking. I would suggest and if you are not carrying more than 5kg for women and 7kg for men get yourself a pair of crocs you know those plastic sandals once across the pyrenees from Roncevalles get into sandals keep your feet cool carry four pairs of socks and two zip off trousers (i water proofed mine) get yourself a poncho to cover you and your ruck and if the rain is still pouring down take plenty of cover stops there are plenty of churches shops and coffee places along the way. I found the further west it got warmer but maybe i was lucky.

Does waterproofing also stop the fabrics from "breathing"?

Remember these are trousers i washed in Tech Wash then waterproofed in
No not at all as the trousers are open at the bottom allowing air in the gap i didnt have any problems use a tech wash and wash in water proofer such as Tech Wash i had two pairs which i used as longs on cold days and shorts (zip offs) on warmer days.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Remember these are trousers i washed in Tech Wash then waterproofed in

No not at all as the trousers are open at the bottom allowing air in the gap i didnt have any problems use a tech wash and wash in water proofer such as Tech Wash i had two pairs which i used as longs on cold days and shorts (zip offs) on warmer days.

Did you then have to bring Tech Wash along and use that for every wash of the pants?

Did you then have to bring Tech Wash along and use that for every wash of the pants?
No No not at all the tech wash will last you for a good month or so before it breaks down i would suggest you try a pair i bought two pairs of Karrimor trousers in Sports direct to be dumped on completion of my trip and the only problem i had was the tummy button came off lucky i had my pound town sewing kit which doubled up as a blister repair kit to sew the button back on

Most of the "waterproofing" treatments really just add a water repellency, which keeps them highly breathable but they can still be soaked through. This is typically more than sufficient for all but torrential issues with pants.

Has anyone used these - they say they are lightweight and look like they'd be a good option.
Frogg Toggs® Women's Pro Action Rain Suits
I personally think rain suits are overkill and uncomfortably hot because they're not sufficiently breathable to keep from building up interior sweat under exertion in even mild temperatures.

Treat your backpacking pants with a water repellent treatment, and consider just a breathable rain jacket, or a poncho, or an umbrella with a super lightweight water repellent wind shirt (this last is my personal preference). These options are all probably lighter than your Frogg Toggs and lend themselves to greater use under more diverse conditions.

I am the same looking at the forecast and worrying about the rain. Also it is meant to be only 6 degrees on Thursday, is it that cold. !!!! sounds like winter to me and I am Irish.
Ladybird --- If you're like the Irish I walked with last year, you'll probably just smile (with just the proper amount of annoyed condescension) and then walk straight into the teeth of the storm without a backward glance!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry to hear that the sign has been replaced. I also got a good laugh and was inspired by it. I'm glad I took a picture of it - next Camino I will have to look at my photo of the old sign on my way to Zubiri.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Ultreia!
KinkyOne, I don't remember the make, but they were rather voluminous, and when now going back and checking my gear list, they were 273 grammes. (And yes, I weighed every item, even to the minutest items!) I bought them in a trekker shop.

annelise

Just in case someone tunes into this thread, the "rain and more rain" forecast as it stands at the moment (31/5) in Biarritz which roughly translates to SJPdP to Pamplona (minus few degrees) is still for more rain during the first couple of days of June and then if one can believe this, there is supposed be no rain and temps in the 20's from 4/6 until 9/6

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It was still there 3 rd May, kept us going when life was feeling tough

I just checked the outside conditions in the morning before I left. If it was raining I put on rainpants and jacket and just headed off, sometimes if it was very cold I would put on the rainpants as well as it makes a good wind breaker, then just take them off as the weather changed for the better. The weather is what it is, just go with the flow.

Exactly no need to worry about the weather. Go out and check the weather every morning. Be street smart. In the mountains listen to the locals.
The weather is unpredictable and we can´t change the weather.

2012 in April I walked 800 km in 29 days and 23 days of them it was raining, hailing, snowing, thunder storms and walking upstream and downstream on MUDDY paths.
Keep yourself warm (layers and wool) and keep on walking.

Buen camino :)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Camino Vasco March 30 from Hendaye reaching Santo Domingo April 6. Then on to Santiago April 28.
5 days in SDC.

Ah, I now remember my 'before-the-camino' worries about the descent to Zubiri (elderly lady myself, not having perfect balancing skills).

A very respected poster on here said that if it had rained, the path might be slippery indeed – but there was an alternative – i.e. to take to road option. – Luckily for me – no rain – so I took the 'straight path' down. A beautiful experience.

But on other occasions – when I anticipated 'worrying' descents ahead - I would just choose the road option – and then met some cyclists there hurrying past – but making my day by yelling 'buen camino' on my lonely road.

annelise

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm walking on Camino now.

To me, walking in the rain is a minor issue. Walking when there's lightning during rain on flat Meseta when next cover is several km away is a bigger concern.

Don't just walk during the rain. Stay alert. Be willing to turn back or stay put under cover if lightning is present.

We will see you there arriving from vancouver canada on the 26th with my 17 year old son will start on the 28th ,to complete in 28 days ...

Two friends and I just completed hiking Le Puy to Conques on June 8. We had received a terrible weather forecast for this route just before arrival. But we ended up with mostly sunny days, temperature in the 60s, with only one day of rain and some drizzle on another. So don't put too much stock in forecasts that are more than 1-2 days out. Note, from admittedly only one experience on this section: weather in the Aubrac just seems to be worse than in other places.
And this may sound too simple but: do everything you can to keep your feet dry. If the chemin is a river, and there's a road that you can use as an alternative, then use the road to spare your feet. And I'm a real believer in wearing shorts when you're hiking in the rain: long pants, even those with seemingly water-repellent characteristics, can get mighty wet around the bottoms, even with a rain jacket or poncho on.
A quick shout-out to nice folks we met along the way: Marie (from India), Bernar (Brussels), Alain ("Monsieur Perdu" because he went the wrong way twice), Liz and Phil (Luxembourg), Sabina (Vancouver), Monique (Nantes).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Follow up. Just off the Camino. Ironically we had 1 day of rain in 34 days. I know this is unusual, but the best advice I got here and by experience on Camino was to not trust the weather forecast.
Several days called for 100% rain but it didn't.

Sometimes we are moving at the same pace and direction of weather. Weather is NOT a static event it is constantly moving and changing and has a direct relationship with the earth. It's a very interesting phenomenon really. So if the forecast says there is an end in sight it's probably for the location where you are in that moment. So if the weather is moving west and so are you, you are going to experience whatever that system is delivering for much longer...

Rule number one do not scrimp on wet weather gear,it rained for my first 7 days when I set out on the 23rd May, my feet never got wet because I had good boots and my core never got wet as I had the right wet weather gear, believe me a wet walker is a miserable one who gets very tired and disenchanted quickly .

Make sure you line your rucksack with a bin liner and put your kit in that to keep everything dry,as rain will always get inside your rucksack and there is nothing worse than putting damp smelly clothes on when you have just taken off the same.

Have a good supply of chocolate etc to stoke the furnace when you get cold.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Further to my last post if you are wearing wet weather trousers tuck your trousers beneath your wet weather gear into your socks then they will not get wet when the water runs down your over trousers .

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back