• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain and snow

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Just a short weather update. Northern Spain has been getting a lot of rain and snow lately. Today snow over 200 meters in Asturias.

I just drove back from Santiago and got a mix of snow/rain on my windshield (temp +4c).

So if you are planning to walk in the next few days, keep dry and warm.

Saludos,
Ivar

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A news report says that the snow hit the north of Navarra and today could be extended westward at places between 200 and 400m.
The areas most affected in Navarre were those of Roncesvalles, Baztan-Bidasoa, where in the afternoon, the snow caused problems in the A-15
As a result of the snow, it is compulsory to use chains in the following ports on the secondary network: Urquiaga, the NA-138 Pamplona-France, at the height of Alduides. Belagua, in the NA-1370-Isaba France, from the kilometer 12 and closed from kilometer 18. In the port of Artesiaga are also mandatory channels in the NA-1740 and between Irurita Eugui, as well as in the port of Egozkue in the NA-2520 between Olago and Zubiri.
During the morning the snow came to places such as Roncesvalles, reaching a thickness of 40 centimeters but without causing traffic problems. And at noon, it began to snow in the districts of Baztan-Bidasoa, and early evening Elizondo, just 200 meters, was covered in white.
In Pamplona began to snow and intensified in the early hours of the night.

Today's snow is expected to be between 200 and 400 meters, more intense and widespread in the north and east of Navarre. Tomorrow the snow will change to rain. Temperatures will remain between 0 and 5 degrees.
In addition to Roncesvalles was greatly affected Valcarlos / Luzaide.

Pilgrims in the snow in Cebreiro. (No cars can get through as yet)

Photo from (EFE)

Attachments

• Cebreiro snow.jpg
    Cebreiro snow.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 758
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
spursfan said:
surely more like a day tripper - with that small a backpack - arrived in a coach and now sadly stuck
I actually took a little pocket backpack like that...weighed under 200g, was handy to keep my passport etc in for easy removal from my main pack, was very handy when I went shopping in the afternoons for fruit and tomorrow's lunch..... I used it often, and was never even tempted to get rid of it when I ditched other things to lighten my pack!
Margaret

spursfan wrote:
surely more like a day tripper - with that small a backpack - arrived in a coach and now sadly stuck

kiwinomad wrote:
I actually took a little pocket backpack like that...

me too Margaret! It is invaluable when one goes out for dinner - holds the camera, the diary and the guide book plus a jacket if coolish so that one is able to sit and write up the diary with all the necessary equipment (plus any food shopping that was done on the way!) regards, Janet

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After 6 weeks of rain "every" day, it looks like we now are getting some sun. Next week will be sunny and warm (up to 15c they say).

I write this for those that are reading this thread later and are looking for weather information for a December walk. So be prepared from everything from snow to 15c! :)

Saludos,
Ivar

I had an email from a friend in Toronto and she said that it was less than chilly there. Also had a call from a family friend in Norway and he said that there was NO snow in Norway! Must all be falling in the south!
Saw on CNN that it snowed in Las Vegas yesterday - first time since 1979.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back