• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain and wind

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
crtvg-cebreiro.jpg

O Cebreiro looks very cold and windy, too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think I would enjoy your rain right now, Ivar! Actually, I would just enjoy being over there on the Camino again no matter what the weather :)20140206_111346.jpg

It IS still winter after all, is it not? I expect snow, rain and wind. On the other hand, one does hope it is gone by April, unlike last year's late winter. Does anyone know what the weather people along the Camino routes in northern Spain are saying about this coming spring?

It IS still winter after all, is it not? I expect snow, rain and wind. On the other hand, one does hope it is gone by April, unlike last year's late winter. Does anyone know what the weather people along the Camino routes in northern Spain are saying about this coming spring?

I know, I know :) And being from northeast USA, I don't mind the winter. I just hate the ICE. I would much rather have 3 feet of snow than the icy mix we have been getting this year ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know, I know :) And being from northeast USA, I don't mind the winter. I just hate the ICE. I would much rather have 3 feet of snow than the icy mix we have been getting this year ;)

I dislike all precipitation that is not simply water - above freezing point. On the other hand, doing a Camino in a tropical rain forest would not be fun either... ;)

Personally I HATE walking in the rain - especially when it's accompanied by blisters! Being short-sighted I wear glasses all the time, and don't enjoy not being able to see where I'm going! Here in the UK we have had the wettest December and January since records began over 100 years ago.
I've booked Pilgrimage number 4 to start mid-May [both paths of the Camino Ingles] and if I get constant rain, I shall personally blame Ivar ;) who, I understand, is in charge of everything ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It was trying to reach a tussock just on the other side of the fence - which is all the funnier when you compare the green grass on this side to the dry tilled earth next door. Which leads me to the next platitude - we just need to lift our heads to see the whole picture...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Personally I HATE walking in the rain - especially when it's accompanied by blisters! Being short-sighted I wear glasses all the time, and don't enjoy not being able to see where I'm going! Here in the UK we have had the wettest December and January since records began over 100 years ago.
I've booked Pilgrimage number 4 to start mid-May [both paths of the Camino Ingles] and if I get constant rain, I shall personally blame Ivar ;) who, I understand, is in charge of everything ...

I wear progressive bifocals and experience the same lack of windscreen wipers as you do. My solution last year - which worked brilliantly - was to obtain a new pair of progressive bifocals in Transitions lenses (www.transitions.com) to eliminated the need for an extra pair of sunglasses. The Transitions lenses darken automatically in response to UV Light - inside or out. The US web site allows you to select your location to locate a local source.

Also, the glasses had an optional "Crizal" coating (www.crizal.com). This coating, available under other trade names as well, prevents dust from adhering to the lenses, reduces glare, and makes water bead up and roll off. I wore a hat with a wide brim in all rain, but these coatings, worked to make the entire experience easier. Having one pair of glasses, plus spare, instead of three (sunglasses) also saved some weight - every gram counts.

I hope this helps someone.

I have clip-ons for my glasses as well as the coating, but the rain in Spain is still truly a pain :p

Did you INTEND to rhyme? I thought it very cute indeed!

I also remember what the late Rev. Philip Wren (R.I.P. 2013 @ Logrono) used to say "The rain in Spain falls mainly....on Galicia!" He was right about that too.;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ha!, afraid I am not that clever....but smart I am, have the poncho ready to reach when in Galicia this coming June and I hope that the brim of my Tilley hat keeps the glasses fairly usable during the rain I have heard is inevitable... Sigh

They talk about rain untill late April. I think I'm taking my inflatable boat :eek:

Best Regards
Diogo

They talk about rain untill late April. I think I'm taking my inflatable boat :eek:

Best Regards
Diogo

If it's Galicia and it is not snowing...it will likely rain soon... ;)

If you are past O' Cebreiro and see what you think is the sun shining...and there have been rumors to that effect...it is perhaps only your imagination playing tricks on you after 600 Kms.:D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If it's Galicia and it is not snowing...it will likely rain soon... ;)

If you are past O' Cebreiro and see what you think is the sun shining...and there have been rumors to that effect...it is perhaps only your imagination playing tricks on you after 600 Kms.:D

Or maybe the wine from lunch hihihi :D

Ha!, afraid I am not that clever....but smart I am, have the poncho ready to reach when in Galicia this coming June and I hope that the brim of my Tilley hat keeps the glasses fairly usable during the rain I have heard is inevitable... Sigh

The brim of the Tilley hat does that just fine :)

One of the gifts of the Camino is to reconnect us to nature.

In modern life we spend so much time, effort and resources making ourselves physically comfortable we are scared to experience the opposite. Don't be. It's actually fine to get cold/wet/hot. You can warm up or cool down at the end of the day and double your pleasure in doing so.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
... and I can attest to Kanga´s skills in helping exhausted, beat-up pilgrims recover themselves. She saved me one evening way back in 2001, after I got lost on the then-unwaymarked Dragonte Route and staggered into a packed-out O´Cebreiro at sundown, thorn-scraped and dog-nipped and ready to give up. There were no beds anywhere, but she had a double with a spare. Which she let me have.
God bless her.
So always be generous and kind on your camino. The pilgrim you help may still be around 14 years later!

You are getting your first rainless day in February! Do you know what to do with it?;)

In 2011 in 4 weeks in Sep/Oct I had not one drop of rain and suffered from the heat, in Apr/May 2012 on the Norte it rained a lot, in Sep 2012 on the Madrid it didn't rain much, except in Galicia. In Apr 2014 on the VDePlata it is going to be so beautiful to be back out walking and experiencing Semana Santa in Merida, I say let it POUR......well at night maybe mostly.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back