A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Rain coat on Camino del Norte

Nimbe007

Camino(s) past & future
I did the Camino Frances, Aragones, Via tolosana and Finistera. This year Camino Del Norte
Hello everybody, I will start in Irun on May 29th, should I take a rain coat like this one or just small one in plastic? I've seen on the weather website that there is a lot of rain now there.
poncho.jpg

tillyjones

Camino(s) past & future
Frances June 2015
VDLP May 2017
del Norte Sept 2018
I'm no expert, but I would say if you are preparing for rain, then this style would be better than a light, flimsy one. I have been spending my evening researching umbrellas and am leaning toward an umbrella instead of a rain coat, myself.

Mariane

Camino(s) past & future
May 2018
Hello everybody, I will start in Irun on May 29th, should I take a rain coat like this one or just small one in plastic? I've seen on the weather website that there is a lot of rain now there.
View attachment 42905
It has been raining very heavily overnight & looks like it will rain more. You definitely need a poncho plus a waterproof jacket.

Jan_D

Camino(s) past & future
Aragones (2011)
Frances (2012)
Norte (2013, 2014)
Hospitalera (2014)
Portugues (2017)
Yep, you'll need a poncho like the one in the pic. I'd also recommend gaiters, to stop the water getting into your shoes. I took waterproof pants/trousers when I was there a few weeks ago, but this might be overkill in summer.

Camino(s) past & future
French, North, Original and from Andorra through the Pyrenees.
All With mi Burro
Had intense thunder storms last two nights in Cantabria. Umbrella and a poncho I suggest to keep dryish. Get the right umbrella and it doubles as a walking pole. Will have showers and some rain for the next few days at least. But you can gets weeks with no rain after June.

Nimbe007

Camino(s) past & future
I did the Camino Frances, Aragones, Via tolosana and Finistera. This year Camino Del Norte
Thanks for your answers. And for the ones of you who are on the way. Buen Camino !

Camino(s) past & future
Camino French Way (2012 - 2014)
SJPDP - Sahagun (June 2015)
Sahagun - Muxia (June 2016)
I’ll be taking my poncho as I’m more concerned about protecting my rucksack than my clothes, which are all wick away or zip off. The climate is not dissimilar to the U.K. sometimes wet but warmer. I’ll be starting the Camino Del Norte from Bilbao the second week in June. The poncho is versatile as you can sit on it sleep under it and use as a dressing gown etc., even a tent ;)

alvin123

Camino(s) past & future
camino del norde
I am also doing the Camino in Bilboa in June, I am bringing a poncho also, hoping for warm sunny weather

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%