• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain galoshes or similar

littlegreen60

Time of past OR future Camino
Early June 2023
I FINALLY have the right shoes, podiatrist approved....whew. less than 2 weeks to go!
But theyre not waterproof at all.
Any suggestions for rain covers for shoes, galoshes etc?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
2 weeks from now is June. June is not a time of year when you need to waterproof your footwear in Spain. On the contrary, waterproof shoes are more likely to get wet inside from all that perspiration thus increasing the likelihood of getting blisters.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think they would be more trouble than they are worth. Try waterproof socks if you are worried about your feet getting wet. Yes, there is such a thing. Sealskinz is the brand I think.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I hate to break it to you, but if it rains, you will get wet. It's not an apocalypse. When the rain stops you will dry out. The best strategy is to duck into a cafe during the heaviest rain, and make sure you have some dry socks to change into throughout the day. I found gaiters to be pretty much useless with regards to rain, since your feet get wet from the bottom more so than from above. As a fellow pilgrim once bellowed on a particularly soggy morning "you're not made of sugar, you're not gonna melt!".

Unless it is really cold, I put on my sandals and take off my pant legs, though I am usually in shorts regardless of the time of year. When I find a good spot to get out of the rain, I get out of the rain.

I hate to break it to you, but if it rains, you will get wet. It's not an apocalypse. When the rain stops you will dry out. The best strategy is to duck into a cafe during the heaviest rain, and make sure you have some dry socks to change into throughout the day. I found gaiters to be pretty much useless with regards to rain, since your feet get wet from the bottom more so than from above. As a fellow pilgrim once bellowed on a particularly soggy morning "you're not made of sugar, you're not gonna melt!".
Pedantic, I know, but the long suppressed scientist in me wants to point out that sugar doesn't melt in water, even in hot water. It dissolves!
But I concur, that your feet will not *dissolve* during rain either!
Have a spare pair of socks ready to change into, once the rain abates. Or wear your evening sandals without socks for a mile or two. Or pack a pair of waterproof socks, but don't wear them when it's dry. Or get wet, then dry your shoes out in the albergue before you put them back on again the next morning.

I spend a lot of time searching for trail shoes in my size etc which do not contain Goretex or other waterproof layers, because once they get full of Camino dust they lose most of their breathability. Your podiatrist has saved you that search!

Buen Camino!

I dont waterproof unless winter. Non-waterproof trail runners dry fast. I will bring one pair of waterproof socks for the VF though for the very wet days. Otherwise I just use my regular socks and shoes and change into dry socks as needed.

Thank you @trecile . This was my original thought, but need them to cover the whole top of the shoe. Are there any others you know of?
OR crocodile gaiters cover the top of the shoe and hook to the forward lace to hold them down. That said, they are knee high and will be hot. In the summer for hiking I buy an OR short gaiter and then spray heavily with silicone. Not as effective as the goretex ones though. Are your shoes low or a mid-height? Low shoes are harder to cover, in my experience.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you all. I arrive in Sarria today. Its rain rain rain for the next few days.
I hope wool Sox with liners will do the trick. And i will look for albergues with a dryer.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.